Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 7, '12, 10:05 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Question Did Christ rise on Easter Sunday? Or Good Saturday?

I'm still a newbie at the deeper learning of my Catholic faith & the other day someone from a church that does mass on Saturdays told me that Christ didn't resurrect on Sunday... I looked at this article (link below) and seen a very compelling argument that backed up what I was told. My question is how, or rather "Where" can I find it in the bible that Christ did resurrect on a Sunday and that we should celebrate mass on Sundays??

Christ’s Resurrection Was NOT on Sunday
Old Nov 7, '12, 10:39 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Did Christ rise on Easter Sunday? Or Good Saturday?

The article makes some invalid points.

. There insistence that it had to be 72 hours is not justified by the culture. It does not take into consideration how time was reckoned by the Jews. Any part of a day was considered a complete day. Jesus died on a Friday day one. He laid in the tomb Saturday day two and He resurrected on Sunday day three.
You will find the accounts of the resurrection in Matt 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 22.

Days were counted from sunset to sunset. Therefore Sunday began on Saturday evening and lasted until Sunday evening. Three of the Gospel's state that the women arrived at dawn. Now the only time dawn occurs is around 6 in the morning. John states that it is still dark. In one account, it mentions an earthquake. It is obvious, at least to me, that the author intended to suggest that this earthquake was caused by the Resurrection.
Old Nov 7, '12, 11:14 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_VII View Post
I'm still a newbie at the deeper learning of my Catholic faith & the other day someone from a church that does mass on Saturdays told me that Christ didn't resurrect on Sunday... I looked at this article (link below) and seen a very compelling argument that backed up what I was told. My question is how, or rather "Where" can I find it in the bible that Christ did resurrect on a Sunday and that we should celebrate mass on Sundays??

I would take the word of the gospel writers...and the knowledge and traditon handed over 2000 years over any modern day scholar...with an agenda..
Old Nov 8, '12, 12:03 am
Forum Elder

Do yourself a huge favor and get a copy of Catholicism for Dummies. It is an excellent resource that will teach you all of the basics, with their reasons, contained within the Catholic faith.

The website hat you linked is founded on very limited knowledge of Church history.
Old Nov 8, '12, 12:20 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Jesus raised from the dead on Easter Sunday, three days after the crucifixion.

"... suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead
;"

Lord, by your cross and resurrection
you have set us free.
You are the Savior of the world.

Life begins at conception not implantation.
Old Nov 8, '12, 12:25 am

It is true, you will find at first glance compelling cases for whatever Biblical position someone may hold, however what we all must do is:
  1. Understand it is the Church and not an individual that decides what the Christian faith is!

1. Understand that it is wise (this is an understatement) to compare someones opinion with Church teaching in the form of modern respected faithful catholic apologists, who in turn almost always quote previous Christians that lead back to the Apostles. This way you see the continuous teaching from the time of Jesus and most people would be humble enough to know they probably know the Bible better than me/you.

A good habit to form is to google a topic and add the word catholic in it
ALSO,
bookmark a list of respected catholic apologist websites
eg: catholic.com
ewtn.com

Responding to your topic however read this
http://www.catholic.com/quickquestio...rday-to-sunday

It all started in a garden in Genesis
It ended in a garden - Gethsemane
It all started again in a garden when the women went to see Jesus' Tomb which was found empty. Jesus rose on the third day as He himself predicted - Sunday - the first day of the week.
For reflections and commentary you may not read anywhere else. Much of what is posted on my blog are transcriptions from sermons and talks given by people such as Fr Robert Barron, Scott Hahn, Jeff Cavins, Curtis Martin, Steve Ray and others.

Last edited by Gusto; Nov 8, '12 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 8, '12, 2:14 am

Quote:

My dear friend.

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, that they might come and anoint him.
16:2 And very early on the first day of the week, they come to the tomb when the sun was risen.
16:3 And they were saying among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the tomb?

16:9 Now when he was risen early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, intending to depart on the morrow;

Mattew 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest haply his disciples come and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: and the last error will be worse than the first.
27:65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a guard: go, make it as sure as ye can.
27:66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, the guard being with them.

Isaiah profetized that Jesus would return after 3 days and all the gospels attest to that.

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Nov 8, '12, 6:14 pm
Observing Member

I've been looking into this myself, and there's not a whole lot about it, in fact I was hoping to find some answers here. But, eventually I found this, which is by far the best of what I've seen;
http://catholicbridge.com/catholic/w..._on_friday.php

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 8, '12, 10:49 pm
Banned

Religion: Protestant, Church of Christ

Quote:

Is rising from the dead considered work? If so Jesus couldn't violate the Sabbath.
Old Nov 8, '12, 11:10 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekehl View Post
Is rising from the dead considered work? If so Jesus couldn't violate the Sabbath.
Luke 6:1-5 would indicate otherwise, 'The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath."
There was nothing to magically prevent Christ from doing what he pleased on the sabbath.

To the OP: We count days exclusively (don't count partial days), the Jews, and in fact most people, counted inclusively (partial days count). This was the norm until quite late, you can still see it in the system of naming years, where 1 BC is followed by 1 AD, with no year 0 in between.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Nov 10, '12, 7:53 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben J View Post
Jesus raised from the dead on Easter Sunday, three days after the crucifixion.
"... suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead
;"
Reuben,
I think part of the misperception is in the idea of the part I bolded. A more correct term, ISTM, is "on the third day". So, He was dead on Friday (day 1), dead on Holy saturday (day 2), and was dead then resurrected on Easter Sunday (day 3).

Maybe I'm wrong about that (I often am ), but that's always been my understanding.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Nov 10, '12, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonNC View Post
Reuben,
I think part of the misperception is in the idea of the part I bolded. A more correct term, ISTM, is "on the third day". So, He was dead on Friday (day 1), dead on Holy saturday (day 2), and was dead then resurrected on Easter Sunday (day 3).

Maybe I'm wrong about that (I often am ), but that's always been my understanding.

Jon
Hi Jon. You are right of course. Me mentioning the three days was intentional, perhaps was pulling some legs . No, I didn't try to 'gotcha you' but credit to you, you saw the fallacy. I was talking from the Jewish context of what it means for one day, example, even one hour into the next day is considered one day - another day, to try to give an explanation to the baffled OP on why we consider Jesus to rise after three days.

Today if we say three days, it invariably means 72 hours and perhaps this causes the misunderstanding which you rightly said so.

God bless.

you have set us free.

Old Nov 10, '12, 8:15 am

Religion: Content Catholic

Adrift is 100% correct.

During the time of the Apostles and Jesus the Hebrews counted mere hours as a full day. An example for today would be a person who dies at 11pm, according to the Jewish way of counting days during NT times, that person would still be counted as having been dead for a day.

Therefore Jesus died on Friday at 3pm (Day1), Saturday (Day2) and he rose on Sunday (Day3).

According to Jewish tradition of the time a person was not considered dead unless 3days had passed. Jesus being the perfect Jew knew this, which is why he specifically waited for 4days before he brought Lazarus back from the dead, to show the Jews of the day that Lazarus was indeed dead and that Jesus does have power over death.

The Bible doesn't mention how long Jairus daughter and the widows son at Nain had been dead for before Jesus raised them from the dead.

Catholics celebrate Mass every day but Sunday is a Mass which should not be missed because that is the day of the resurrection.
Old Nov 10, '12, 8:16 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben J View Post
Hi Jon. You are right of course. Me mentioning the three days was intentional, perhaps was pulling some legs . No, I didn't try to 'gotcha you' but credit to you, you saw the fallacy. I was talking from the Jewish context of what it means for one day, example, even one hour into the next day is considered one day - another day, to try to give an explanation to the baffled OP on why we consider Jesus to rise after three days.

Today if we say three days, it invariably means 72 hours and perhaps this causes the misunderstanding which you rightly said so.

God bless.
Thanks, Reuben, for seeing my comments as conversational and not critical. I completely agree with what you say here.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Nov 10, '12, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonNC View Post
Thanks, Reuben, for seeing my comments as conversational and not critical. I completely agree with what you say here.

Jon
It's my privilege. Having seen and knowing how you post, it's never a problem here.

you have set us free.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions