Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 8, '12, 8:33 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Participation in Obamacare

What should Catholics do about participating in Obamacare's individual insurance mandate? Should we buy insurance, pay a $700 fine to the IRS, or refuse to pay either way (and risk jail time)?

What's the right thing to do?
Old Nov 8, '12, 9:28 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Participation in Obamacare

The Church does not require you to refuse insurance.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 8, '12, 10:25 am

But doesn't buying insurance require you to pay for abortion coverage? Is it still acceptable to buy insurance under those circumstances, and if so, why?
Old Nov 8, '12, 10:39 am
Forum Elder

As far as I can tell, the mandate applies to employers, not individuals.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Nov 8, '12, 10:40 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssancho View Post
But doesn't buying insurance require you to pay for abortion coverage? Is it still acceptable to buy insurance under those circumstances, and if so, why?
You still need health insurance should you get sick, need medication etc. Unless you are independantly wealthy and have millions to throw around for your health care you need to get insurance. The church does not ask us not to do so, it does not wish that we should sacrifice our well being over this morally reprehensible policy.
Old Nov 8, '12, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
There are 2 mandates: the HHS mandate, which the Church vehemently objects to and is currently fighting in court, and the Individual mandate, which the Supreme Court upheld last summer as a tax.

The latter was not strongly objected to by the Church since the subject of individual coverage per se is mainly prudential.

It may be possible for an individual to purchase insurance without abortion coverage through the exchanges (read the policy carefully before applying - the law indicates that abortion coverage is a separate $1 charge but it is not a la carte - if the plan covers it, the insured must pay that dollar).

There is an alternative that allows individuals to avoid the non-insurance tax. Here, I quote myself from an earlier thread:
Samaritan Ministries is a non-Catholic health sharing organization. They distribute the costs of medical care among their members and negotiate fees.

Solidarity Health Share is a Catholic organization that will do the same when they get it going (so far, they have a signup form to request info when they become available). This organization was established specifically in response to the HHS mandate.

Strictly speaking, neither is an insurance company. However, the law allows participation in such programs in lieu of purchasing insurance.
Solidarity's main page isn't loading for me at the moment, but their blog still seems to be operational
Old Nov 8, '12, 11:41 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
But doesn't buying insurance require you to pay for abortion coverage?
It requires you to have insurance.

That insurance can be something like a high deductible policy coupled with a Health Saving Account (HSA). Most high deductible plans are major medical-- for example, hospitalization, emergency, etc.

A group or individual policy may have benefits for abortion or contraception, you certainly are not required to use those services.

Quote:
Is it still acceptable to buy insurance under those circumstances, and if so, why?
Yes.

Do you not have insurance now?

For most people there is no change at this point, your employer insurance is still the standard. Nothing has changed in our policy, except the price-- which has gone UP this year tremendously.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 8, '12, 11:45 am

Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
As an individual with no employer-provided insurance, I will be subject to a fine/being able to purchase insurance. If your employer provides insurance, fine, but not all employers are required to. Any employer with less than 50 employees is exempt, for example. A lot of people will not have employer-provided insurance.
Old Nov 8, '12, 12:16 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Regarding employers...

http://www.ncbcenter.org/page.aspx?pid=1293

More info can be sought from them.
Old Nov 9, '12, 11:31 am
Account Under Review

Religion: Doubting Catholic
Lightbulb Re: Participation in Obamacare

Quote:
No, You are not required to buy abortion or contraceptive coverage for an individual policy. If you don't buy health insurance the tax is very low starting in 2014 and increases over the years. However, if your income is below a certain level then you are not subject to the tax.

ObamaCare for individuals doesn't take effect until 2014, so nothing is going to effect you for now.
Old Nov 9, '12, 1:27 pm

Religion: catholic

What is the moral culpability to the employee who uses their employer's insurance. My spouse's employer provides insurance and the rates went up dramatically and it now covers contraception and domestic partners. Are we comitting a sin if we use that for our insurance? Should we try to find insurance elsewhere?
Old Nov 9, '12, 1:52 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvete View Post
What is the moral culpability to the employee who uses their employer's insurance. My spouse's employer provides insurance and the rates went up dramatically and it now covers contraception and domestic partners. Are we comitting a sin if we use that for our insurance? Should we try to find insurance elsewhere?
No, you are not committing a sin and no you do not hav to find insurance elsewhere, but certainly if you can find it more cheaply then do so.

Old Nov 10, '12, 11:11 am

Religion: Cradle Catholic

The right thing to do is enjoy your new benefits. Our insurance plan has never covered any kind of immunizations because they are considered "preventive care." It didn't cover much of anything else that could be considered "preventive care," either.

I would like to quote from a publication that we received from our insurance plan yesterday. Unknown to us, all of this has been effective since June 30, 2012:

"The eligibility waiting period for routine physicals has been eliminated. The Plan will allow one routine physical each calendar year. In addition, annual cancer screenings, well baby care, immunizations and VACCINATIONS (emphasis mine) are now covered at 100% when provided by a PPO provider."

I just paid almost $200 for my shingles shot without knowing a thing about this. It also says that aspirin (325 mg and 81 mg) will be covered when prescribed for cardiovascular disease for men and women.

This is Obamacare in action!
Old Nov 10, '12, 11:30 am

Quote:
You do realize that a portion of your tax dollars go to Medicaid? You do know that Medicaid pays for contraception, sterilization, and abortion?
Old Nov 10, '12, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvete View Post
You do realize that a portion of your tax dollars go to Medicaid? You do know that Medicaid pays for contraception, sterilization, and abortion?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice