Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 9, '12, 9:22 am
Banned

Religion: Agnostic Theist. I believe in God but not in Religion
Default Why the Tree of Knowledge?

In the genesis story the serpent tempted adam & eve to eat from the tree of knowledge.

wouldnt it have caused more damage if they were to eat from the tree of life instead?

another hole in the story?
Old Nov 9, '12, 9:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why the Tree of Knowledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
In the genesis story the serpent tempted adam & eve to eat from the tree of knowledge.

wouldnt it have caused more damage if they were to eat from the tree of life instead?

If it were more dangerous then why did the serpent choose the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil over the tree of Life to tempt Eve ?

~peace
Old Nov 9, '12, 9:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Etzel View Post
If it were more dangerous then why did the serpent choose the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil over the tree of Life to tempt Eve ?

~peace
the tree of life would have made them immortal. imagine immortal gullible folks. no angel could stop them going back and taking from the tree of knolwedge as well.
Old Nov 9, '12, 9:51 am

Quote:
the tree of life would have made them immortal. imagine immortal gullible folks. no angel could stop them going back and taking from the tree of knolwedge as well.
No angel would have been more powerful than a human ? Immortality isn't omnipotence.
Old Nov 9, '12, 10:16 am
Banned

Quote:
No angel would have been more powerful than a human ? Immortality isn't omnipotence.
i dont know about that. but for sure that spinning flaming sword wont work. an immortal adam would just brush it aside.
Old Nov 9, '12, 10:26 am

Quote:
i dont know about that. but for sure that spinning flaming sword wont work. an immortal adam would just brush it aside.
Adam and Eve decide to eat from the Tree of Life. They become immortal. God walks with them and teaches them and loves them forever. They learn through him all that the Tree of Knowledge could ever give them. No need for God to put flaming swords anywhere. In fact, at some point, God would likely have removed the prohibition of eating from the Tree of Knowledge simply because Adam and Eve already had the knowledge.
Old Nov 9, '12, 10:29 am

Quote:

Ahhhh aren't you so clever? maybe if you tried to understand what you read.
Adam and Eve previous to the fall were immortal, what good would it do them to eat from a tree of immortality?
Where is the temptation?

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Nov 9, '12, 10:37 am
Banned

It was The tree of knowledge of good and evil.

The serpent promised that "your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods, who know good and evil."

That was the Sin - deciding for oneself what was good versus what was evil. There's a great talk by Fr. Larry Richards on Confession that goes into this in good detail. I got it from Catholicity many years ago. It appears to be available free online, now http://www.catholicity.com/cds/confession.html
Old Nov 9, '12, 10:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Adam and Eve decide to eat from the Tree of Life. They become immortal. God walks with them and teaches them and loves them forever. They learn through him all that the Tree of Knowledge could ever give them. No need for God to put flaming swords anywhere. In fact, at some point, God would likely have removed the prohibition of eating from the Tree of Knowledge simply because Adam and Eve already had the knowledge.
If God can forgive them like that....

you know what i mean.
Old Nov 9, '12, 10:52 am
Forum Elder

The only tree they could not eat from was the tee of the knowledge of good and evil. That's because the one thing they were not free to do was to decide for themselves what is good and evil. To be "like God" in that sense.

We've been eating the poisonous fruit off that tree ever since. All sin boils down to us thinking we know what is good better than God does.
Old Nov 9, '12, 10:52 am

Quote:
If God can forgive them like that....

you know what i mean.
That was in the context of taking from the tree of life instead of the tree of knowledge. sorry for the confusion.

~peace
Old Nov 9, '12, 10:55 am
Banned

Quote:
That was in the context of taking from the tree of life instead of the tree of knowledge. sorry for the confusion.

~peace
ah i get it.

i checked the story again.

only the tree of knowledge was forbidden.

its all clear now.

sorry.

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!
Old Nov 9, '12, 11:03 am

Quote:

In fact no. Genesis doesn't actually say that they were originally forbidden from eating from the tree of life, but even if they were there is no reason to think it would have done more damage. And even if it would have done more damage, it doesn't actually make a difference to the story, since it was the act of disobedience that did the most damage, not the effects of the tree. Which may or may not even be literal. But assuming it's literal for the purposes of discussion (for even if it's not, what happened happened with the same effects as if it were):

First, God could have, had He so chosen, brushed off or reversed any of the changes either tree would have caused. Had they eaten from the tree of life, God could simply have removed the effects. Now, it is fair to assume based on His actions that He did not want to, He did not want to override the consequences of Adam and Eve's choice.

But He could easily throw a couple immortals out of a garden without removing their immortality, as could any angel God tasked with so doing. Easier than killing a fly with a flamethrower. We are no threat to God.

As mentioned, the bad thing about eating the fruit was not so much that they gained the knowledge, which they may well have gained eventually anyway, but that they disobeyed God and fell from a state of grace. Any sin would have done this. At the time, there was really only one sin available to them that I am aware of, but they did it. That the sin related to learning more about good and evil is less important.

Fallen immortals, or fallen mortals doesn't matter, we'd still be fallen. And that was the worst part of the fall, not which tree they ate from.

But you could argue that the tree of knowledge had the worse effect in any case, because it makes more types of sin possible. A person who is innocent of knowledge cannot sin, in gaining the knowledge of what was good and bad before being able to handle it they equipped themselves with ability to offend God without the tools to refrain from doing so. This could be said to be worse than a couple of mostly clueless immortals wandering around the planet. Again, Satan was not interested in bringing about threats to God's power - that's impossible and even he has to know that - but to cause there to be lots of sin and turning from God.
Old Nov 9, '12, 11:10 am
Banned

^ just so you know, i read your entire post. its not wasted.

but also see my post above yours. i stood corrected.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy