Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 13, '12, 9:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Woman 'denied a termination' dies in hospital

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326575203.html

Quote:
Two investigations are under way into the death of a woman who was 17 weeks pregnant, at University Hospital Galway last month.
Old Nov 13, '12, 9:38 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert
Default Re: Woman 'denied a termination' dies in hospital

My heart is breaking for her family.

Morally I have to say that I'm going to have to think about this one. She was fulling dilated and leaking amniotic fluid. She was obviously miscarrying and there wasn't anything that could be done to stop it. The pregnancy was terminating. She was danger of dying and ultimately did. If the baby had been forming in one of her tubes the danger to her life would have been just as great. There wouldn't have been a problem with removing that portion of her tube to save her life even though it would result in the death of her baby. Is there a difference in this case with giving her inducing meds to have reduce her chance of death? I think of myself as 100% pro-life. I'm shocked that I would consider that they should have helped nature progress faster to save her life.

Off to pray.
Old Nov 13, '12, 9:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: off-the-record "discerning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post

Terrible!!!!!

Why the heck didn't they deliver the baby, however young?

It didn't have to be a choice of 1) abort the baby, or, 2) do nothing!

Who knows, the baby may have survived had they done a C-section.

Now two lives lost!
Old Nov 13, '12, 9:44 pm

Religion: transferring to the Melkite Church
Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

I don't know the facts, but if it's possible that they could have delivered the baby through c-section then it was irresponsible to let them both die IMO.

Deliver the child and try to help it as much as humanly possible, but don't wait for it to die in the womb. Obviously they were just condemning them both at that point. My prayers go out to her and her family.

Peace and God bless!
Old Nov 13, '12, 10:06 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I feel very badly about this tragic situation. I feel deep sympathy for both the woman who tragically died and for her family who are still living. I will not pass judgment on anyone involved. I do pray that this woman rests in peace and I pray that the Holy Spirit would comfort her family and all close to her.
Old Nov 13, '12, 11:04 pm

Religion: Catholic ^i^

Quote:
That hospital is responsible for that womans death.

“My greatest pleasure is to serve the Lord in his poor children rejected by other people.” --Saint Damien De Veuster

Saint Damien of Molokai group: http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1640
Old Nov 13, '12, 11:31 pm

Why didn't they induce!!! Then they could have saved her and possibly her child (micro-preemies can live). That would have been the best course of medical treatment for both patients, not abortion at all. Sure the child would have PROBABLY still died, but s/he was definitely going to die if they did nothing.

THe worst part is that pro-aborts will use this to help their case, when this wasn't a case that called for abortion, but one that called for unfortunate induction of pre-term labor!
Old Nov 13, '12, 11:37 pm

Quote:
She died of septicemia that is infection. But she was fully dilated at 17 weeks which would have been a miscarriage, they where monitoring the hearh beat of the fetus's heart.
Which is the normal procedure if you cannot perform an abortion.

Read this article found on the same newspaper:
It talks about septicemia and how rare it is.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...6.html?via=rel

Also this article seems relevant:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...9.html?via=rel

Someone also mentioned the fallopian tubes, that is called an ectopic pregnancy and that has been discussed on this forum, do a search on "ectopic pregnancy".

I doubt the hospital would have not taken steps if that was the case because those pregnancies invariably lead to the mother's death.
If they were monitoring the fetus's heartbeat surely they would have know if that was the case.

In other words barring the case they find gross negligence on the actions of the Hospital we cannot judge a priory why did this happen.

One important aspect we do not know for example is if she was being followed by an OB doctor to make sure her pregnancy was progressing properly and without issues.

Unfortunately we might never find out will we?

Let's pray for both that they find rest and can see the glory of God.

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Nov 13, '12, 11:44 pm

I don't think it's about being denied termination as much as it was neglecting of her needs. They did not do anything to help her until after the baby's heart stopped beating, and by then it was too late. Do they not have prenatal care in that country? What happened?

I looked up septicaemia and it says that there was bacteria in her bloodstream. Why couldn't they work with that issue? What if a pregnant woman whose body wasn't miscarrying had that problem? Would they let her die, too?

Terminations are allowed in the case of ectopic pregnancies because BOTH mother and child would die. The pro-life movement is about treating both lives equally, not about saving nobody when two lives are about to end. And there is no way to move the ectopic pregnancy into the uterus; otherwise that would obviously be preferred to "abortion."
Old Nov 14, '12, 12:43 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephe1987 View Post
...Terminations are allowed in the case of ectopic pregnancies because BOTH mother and child would die.
No, this is not worded at all correctly. The procedure is not a "termination," nor is it permitted because both mother and child will die.

In the case of an ectopic pregnancy, the baby is attached to the tube rather than to the womb. The tube then poses a danger to the mother and needs to be removed. Unfortunately, and not as an intention, a side-effect is that the baby will also be removed and then be unable to survive.

The principle is that of double effect: the action is not in and of itself immoral, but a side-effect, which is not the end of the action nor intended, is an outcome one would not want.

In the case of pregnancy, if a woman is found to have cancer while she is pregnant, she can be treated with radiation or chemotherapy, as these are the normal, moral treatments. It may be that the treatment could kill the child, but this would not be the intention of the treatment, nor would the death of the child be the "end," or goal-implicit-in-the-action, of the treatment.

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Nov 14, '12, 1:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephe1987 View Post
I don't think it's about being denied termination as much as it was neglecting of her needs. They did not do anything to help her until after the baby's heart stopped beating, and by then it was too late. Do they not have prenatal care in that country? What happened?

I looked up septicaemia and it says that there was bacteria in her bloodstream. Why couldn't they work with that issue? What if a pregnant woman whose body wasn't miscarrying had that problem? Would they let her die, too?

Terminations are allowed in the case of ectopic pregnancies because BOTH mother and child would die. The pro-life movement is about treating both lives equally, not about saving nobody when two lives are about to end. And there is no way to move the ectopic pregnancy into the uterus; otherwise that would obviously be preferred to "abortion."
Precisely why I am miffed by this, normally septicemia sets in after a prolonged period of time, in fact is quite rare nowdays. That's why I posited we should look at the possibility this mother did not have proper prenatal care, but I will not make any judgement a priory on this until all the facts are examined.

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Nov 14, '12, 3:41 am

CaptFun responds in RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
Terrible!!!!! Yes it is.

Why the heck didn't they deliver the baby, however young? YES!

It didn't have to be a choice of 1) abort the baby, or, 2) do nothing! RIGHT! But such clarity is rare these days.

Who knows, the baby may have survived had they done a C-section. She is 4 for 4 with this!

Now two lives lost! Yes. But Jesus if merciful and also .. He is the resurrection and the LIFE! They are lost HERE ... our loss ... but not to HIM.
VERY good logical, practical, insightful opinions.
Old Nov 14, '12, 4:10 am

Religion: catholic
Default Woman 'denied a termination' as the fetal heartbeat was still present, dies in Irish hospital

A tragic story and may she RIP. Unfortunately, the government shall be making a decision imminently, on a ruling by the supreme court that abortions may be carried out in certain cases, so as not to risk the mother. This tragic case, will no doubt sway the yes vote to get the law passed, in Ireland. I am not a doctor, however from google search, I believe septicaemia can be associated with a partial or missed miscarriage. These situations do pose a quandary.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326575203.html

Savita Halappanavar (31), a dentist, presented with back pain at the hospital on October 21st, was found to be miscarrying, and died of septicaemia a week later.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar (34), an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.

She spent a further 2˝ days “in agony” until the foetal heartbeat stopped.
Old Nov 14, '12, 4:18 am
Forum Master

What a mess.

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Nov 14, '12, 4:35 am

Religion: catholic

My apologies, I started a similar thread. Unfortunately, it is such a traqic case and the Irish government may make a decision (it may go to referendum, I'm not sure) possibly today, that would allow abortion to be legal in Ireland, if the mother is at risk. No-one is aware of the actual details of 'mother at risk' and it is in relation to a law passed by the supreme court 20 yrs past, that has not been acted on, in Ireland.

I agree with another poster she could have been induced.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News