Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 2, '05, 8:24 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Who is the last prophet?

Catholicism considers itself to be the fulfillment of Judaism. Judaism expected a Messiah. He came, and fulfilled the Old Covenant, extending it to all the world through the Church.

So even though the Catholic Church has a 2000 year history going back to the time of Christ, it really has more like a 4000 or more year history going back through the Prophets, to Abraham, Melchisedek, Noah, Abel, all the way back to Adam and Eve. It is a continuity. Catholicism accepts the books of the old testament plus the books of the new testament.

Islam accepts only the Quran, and the one prophet Muhammed. It says it accepts the old testament prophets, and Jesus as a prophet, but in fact it accepts only those parts of the old testament (and new testament) which support the teachings of Islam, which is darn little. Everything else is considered corrupted.

So in essence we have a stand-alone religion dependent on one man and one book whose reliability cannot be established.

This is pretty much the same as what Mormonism claims. One man who is considered to be the last prophetóJoseph Smith--and one book, the book of Mormon. If we are going to go by whichever prophet comes last, Joseph Smith would have the better claim.
Old Sep 2, '05, 8:33 am
Banned

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Who is the last prophet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Islam accepts only the Quran, and the one prophet Muhammed. It says it accepts the old testament prophets, and Jesus as a prophet, but in fact it accepts only those parts of the old testament (and new testament) which support the teachings of Islam, which is darn little. Everything else is considered corrupted.
What are the main differences in the story of Joseph in Egypt? Or Moses and the Exodus? For more information you might see The Bible and the Qur'an by Jacques Jomier http://www.catholic-convert.com/Desk....aspx?tabid=81

Old Sep 2, '05, 8:52 am
Forum Elder

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that book before.
Old Sep 3, '05, 8:26 pm

Religion: Muslim

Quote:
Catholicism considers itself to be the fulfillment of Judaism. Judaism expected a Messiah. He came, and fulfilled the Old Covenant, extending it to all the world through the Church.

So even though the Catholic Church has a 2000 year history going back to the time of Christ, it really has more like a 4000 or more year history going back through the Prophets, to Abraham, Melchisedek, Noah, Abel, all the way back to Adam and Eve. It is a continuity. Catholicism accepts the books of the old testament plus the books of the new testament.

So in essence we have a stand-alone religion dependent on one man and one book whose reliability cannot be established.

This is pretty much the same as what Mormonism claims. One man who is considered to be the last prophetóJoseph Smith--and one book, the book of Mormon. If we are going to go by whichever prophet comes last, Joseph Smith would have the better claim.
The mormons believe that God still speaks to Prophets till now.
Old Sep 4, '05, 12:37 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashab al-yameen
The mormons believe that God still speaks to Prophets till now.
You are right. Apparently they have a continuing prophethood.
Old Sep 4, '05, 1:07 pm

Religion: God-made religion

"......I am the first and the last, and the living one, I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and see I have the keys of Death and of Hades......" Jesus Christ.
Old Sep 4, '05, 2:05 pm
Banned

Religion: undecided

Jesus is the last prophet see Hebrew chapter one.
Old Sep 4, '05, 2:22 pm

Religion: Muslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainted
"......I am the first and the last, and the living one, I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and see I have the keys of Death and of Hades......" Jesus Christ.

sorry, i'm not really familiar with the Bible..only the parts i've read.

what does Jesus mean when he sais "i was dead" ?
Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! despair not of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Quran 39:53)
Old Sep 4, '05, 2:37 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith101
sorry, i'm not really familiar with the Bible..only the parts i've read.

what does Jesus mean when he sais "i was dead" ?
The passage refers to the fact that Jesus was the one who was crucified, died, and rose from the dead. So, the person [Jesus] speaking is identifying himself, not by his name but by his divine attributes and deeds he accomplished while on earth.
Old Sep 4, '05, 2:48 pm
Forum Elder

Actually, I would consider John the Baptist to be the last Prophet. He came as the last prophet to pave the way for the Messiah.
Old Sep 4, '05, 8:00 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox

Quote:

For my money, it was St. John the Baptist. He was the last prophet.

StMarkEofE
Old Sep 5, '05, 4:27 am

Quote:
Actually, I would consider John the Baptist to be the last Prophet. He came as the last prophet to pave the way for the Messiah.
Which is mentioned in Luke 16:16

In Christ,
selvaraj
Old Sep 5, '05, 11:50 am

Religion: God-made religion

In the strictest sense yes I agree St. John the Baptist would be the last of the prophets. So much as we don't refer to our Lord as prophet as 'He's more than a prophet' we tend to think only in the sense that He's the fullfilment of all the prophecies. In the same token being the 'fullfilment' explicitly ending the propthetic lineage lest it continues on.
Old Sep 6, '05, 1:01 pm

According to Luke, John The Baptist was the last prophet, so no Christians don't believe Muhammad was a prophet.
Luke 16:16
"The law and the prophets lasted until John; but from then on the kingdom of God is proclaimed, and everyone who enters does so with violence.

Likewise none of the founders of LDS could be prophets either.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Old Sep 8, '05, 10:38 am

Quote:
If we are going to go by whichever prophet comes last, Joseph Smith would have the better claim.
Actually I think Ellen G. White outlasted Joseph Smith by a while so using that reason we would go by her (unless there was some other unknown "Prophet" out there) and like it was said earlier private revalation ended quite some time ago so they wouldn't count.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions