Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 17, '12, 11:50 am

Religion: Knocking at God`s door but he won`t answer.
Default Serving God vs serving my parents?

I recently started attending the local Catholic parish and have started the conversion process. I am under 18 and my parents still want me to go to their church. So every Sunday after mass I go to my old church to make them happy. Last week my Mom signed me up to be Joseph in the Christmas play without asking me. I don't even consider my self a member of this church anymore. Practice is on Wednesdays at 6 but I normally go to mass on wednesday at 6 because I fell like God wants me to. So I want to obey my parents but I want to obey God more. So would disobeying my Parents be acceptable in this instance? I'm going to tell them I serve God first not them and I will not be in the play and I will go to mass and they can punish me if they want because Jesus said blessed are you if they persecute you because of me.
Old Nov 17, '12, 12:00 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Serving God vs serving my parents?

No you should *not* disobey your parents and attempt to use God as your excuse.

Mass on Wednesdays is a nice thing to do, but it is not obligatory even for Catholics. You are not disobeying God. In your new found faith you are being a bit over zealous and you should not do so in a manner that is disrespectful to your parents. They have *not* asked you to do anything sinful.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 17, '12, 12:03 pm
Forum Elder

Remember, when Jesus was 12 he knew he should be in his Father's house so he went there, but when his parents found him after a frantic search for him-- he went home with them and was obedient to them.

You need to follow Jesus's lead on this one.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 17, '12, 12:43 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: traditional Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockman1996 View Post
I recently started attending the local Catholic parish and have started the conversion process. I am under 18 and my parents still want me to go to their church. So every Sunday after mass I go to my old church to make them happy. Last week my Mom signed me up to be Joseph in the Christmas play without asking me. I don't even consider my self a member of this church anymore. Practice is on Wednesdays at 6 but I normally go to mass on wednesday at 6 because I fell like God wants me to. So I want to obey my parents but I want to obey God more. So would disobeying my Parents be acceptable in this instance? I'm going to tell them I serve God first not them and I will not be in the play and I will go to mass and they can punish me if they want because Jesus said blessed are you if they persecute you because of me.
Wait, so you are under 18 but you already go to your own church? Are you living alone?

If you live in your parents household, you should go to the same parish as they do. If you have moved away/have joined another parish and are already active in it, I'm not sure what they are doing in your business.

This is a strange situation, could you give me more context?

Also, you say that you have "started the conversion process." Does that mean you are converting to be Catholic and your parents are not?
Old Nov 17, '12, 12:46 pm
Book Club Member

I agree with 1ke. You are serving God by obeying your parents. It's a Christmas play, not anything immoral. It's lovely that you are drawn to attending Mass but we are not required to attend during the week (even though I like to when I can). You have plenty of time to learn about and begin practicing the Catholic faith. In the meantime, participating in their church's Christmas play will make your parent's happy.

By the way, are you in RCIA?
Old Nov 17, '12, 12:53 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshix View Post
Does that mean you are converting to be Catholic and your parents are not?
Yes, the OP and his parents are not Catholic. The OP is interested in becoming a Catholic.

Old Nov 17, '12, 12:55 pm

Religion: Converting from Baptist to Catholic In RCIA
Send a message via MSN to Chuck1

Hi , I'm 16 nearly 17 , former atheist like yourself ,and atheist parents and I am in RCIA at the moment .
My advice would be . Obey your pearents and be in the nativity- don't make this a big thing your still serving god it doesn't matter what building it is. Going to mass on a Wednesday is great and its really good you want to do that especially since your a young person ... We need more young people !
The practices will only be for a few weeks and then you can go back to going to mass on a Wednesday - you may even enjoy the play , it's still for god . Although it was wrong for your parents to not ask you they probberly still think of this as a phase and that your still apart of their church so you could say I don't feel or consider myself apart of your church anymore, the Catholic Church is where I want to be and is now what i consider to be my church , I will go with you somtimes if there is a special event but god wants me alsewhere and I want you to respect that , so say that if this is the case .
Hope I have helped in some way , if you have any questions feel free to private message me
Good luck Chuck
Romans 12 V2 - Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will

Chuck 1 - God Bless you .
Old Nov 17, '12, 12:56 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Yes, the OP and his parents are not Catholic. The OP is interested in becoming a Catholic.
Ok. Well this is interesting. I don't see any harm in him obeying his parents, and I see a great deal to lose if he disobeys them. It seems there is a danger of letting religion become an excuse to break a relationship.
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:12 pm

I get what you guys are saying but the play isn't really the nativity it's completely different. Every year it's like modern Mary and Joseph in New York City and one year it was a Charlie's Angels spoof where Charlie is God and the angels are actual Angels! My Mom I know hates me becoming Catholic and signed me up for the play when she knows I go to mass every wednesday and that I'm serious about converting and am starting Rcia in January. I am trying to be obedient but it's getting ridiculous.
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:18 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I get what you guys are saying but the play isn't really the nativity it's completely different. Every year it's like modern Mary and Joseph in New York City and one year it was a Charlie's Angels spoof where Charlie is God and the angels are actual Angels! My Mom I know hates me becoming Catholic and signed me up for the play when she knows I go to mass every wednesday and that I'm serious about converting and am starting Rcia in January. I am trying to be obedient but it's getting ridiculous.
That is pretty weird. Maybe you should talk to your parents and tell them why you don't think the "nativity" is a good thing to participate in.
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:18 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Umm... if it's not to personal to ask... what denomination is the church your parents attend?
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:19 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter View Post
Umm... if it's not to personal to ask... what denomination is the church your parents attend?
I think they are Baptist.
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:19 pm

Southern Baptist
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:26 pm
Book Club Member

Well, until you are a self-supporting adult you are required to obey your parents - barring anything illegal, etc. However, this is a good time for you to spend in prayer and study as you grow in faith. I will keep you in my prayers and wish you well. Hopefully, your parents will come around.
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:32 pm
Prayer Warrior

@Brockman 1996:

Unless your parents tell you to do something actively sinful you should obey them.
Firstly because you have a duty to do so.
Secondly because your situation will not last forever. In God's good time you will be free to join the Church.
And finally, do you really want your parents to think the Catholic Church encourages children to defy their parents? That's what they're likely to think if you refuse to do what your mother is asking.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life