Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 18, '12, 7:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Scapular investment

I got invested in the brown scapular today! I'm so excited. Although, for those who have also been invested, does it matter that I put the scapular on myself while being invested and not the priest? Also, the priest didn't do a seperate blessing of the scapular other than the investment prayer. Does that matter or did th process itself bless the scapular?
Old Nov 18, '12, 8:11 pm

Default Re: Scapular investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by codefro View Post
I got invested in the brown scapular today! I'm so excited. Although, for those who have also been invested, does it matter that I put the scapular on myself while being invested and not the priest? Also, the priest didn't do a seperate blessing of the scapular other than the investment prayer. Does that matter or did th process itself bless the scapular?
That's great to hear, congrats!

These sacramental blessings don't really have binding rubrics. As long as the prayer was recited by a priest, I'd say you're good to go re: having put the scapular on yourself.

As far as the blessing is concerned, did your priest follow the standard investiture prayers? It contains a blessing on the scapular (just with holy water), so I'm not sure how he might miss that.

Quote:
Priest - Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy.
Respondent - And grant us Thy salvation.
P - Lord, hear my prayer.
R - And let my cry come unto Thee.
P - The Lord be with you.
R - And with your Spirit.
P - Lord Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, sanctify + by Thy power these scapulars, which for love of Thee and for love of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Thy servants will wear devoutly, so that through the intercession of the same Virgin Mary, Mother of God, and protected against the evil spirit, they persevere until death in Thy grace. Thou who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

THE PRIEST SPRINKLES WITH HOLY WATER THE SCAPULAR AND THE PERSON(S) BEING ENROLLED. HE THEN INVESTS HIM (THEM), SAYING:

P - Receive this blessed scapular and beseech the Blessed Virgin that through Her merits, you may wear it without stain. May it defend you against all adversity and accompany you to eternal life. Amen.

AFTER INVESTITURE THE PRIEST CONTINUES WITH THE PRAYERS:

P - I, by the power vested in me, admit you to participate in all the spiritual benefits obtained through the mercy of Jesus Christ by the Religious Order of Mount Carmel. In the name of the Father + and of the Son + and of the Holy Ghost. + Amen.

May God Almighty, the Creator of Heaven and earth, bless + you, He who has deigned to join you to the Confraternity of the Blessed Virgin of Mount Carmel; we beseech Her to crush the head of the ancient serpent so that you may enter into possession of your eternal heritage through Christ our Lord.
R - Amen.

THE PRIEST THEN SPRINKLES AGAIN WITH HOLY WATER THE PERSON(S) ENROLLED.
Old Nov 18, '12, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsk View Post
That's great to hear, congrats!

These sacramental blessings don't really have binding rubrics. As long as the prayer was recited by a priest, I'd say you're good to go.

As far as the blessing is concerned, did your priest follow the standard investiture prayers? It contains a blessing on the scapular, so I'm not sure how he might miss that.
Yes he did, minus the holy water. I'm just confused if he should've blessed the scapular before beginning the investment...?
Old Nov 18, '12, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Yes he did, minus the holy water. I'm just confused if he should've blessed the scapular before beginning the investment...?
No, as far as I know there's no separate blessing before those prayers. And the blessing is actually considered to remain with the person, so you don't have to have your next scapular blessed at all (once this one wears out).
Old Nov 19, '12, 10:28 am

Quote:
No, as far as I know there's no separate blessing before those prayers. And the blessing is actually considered to remain with the person, so you don't have to have your next scapular blessed at all (once this one wears out).
oh ok
Old Nov 19, '12, 5:30 pm

Religion: Papist

My scapular came with a booklet that has a completely different prayer to the one you've quoted, it may be a shortened version but basically all the respondent says is Amen at the end... Do you know if that would still be valid or does it need to be that specific one?
Old Nov 19, '12, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitliceach View Post
My scapular came with a booklet that has a completely different prayer to the one you've quoted, it may be a shortened version but basically all the respondent says is Amen at the end... Do you know if that would still be valid or does it need to be that specific one?
I wouldn't worry about it, but the one that I posted is the only form of the investiture prayer that I've seen. It's also the one in the Rituale Romanum and was used by my priest (well, the Latin version). I'm not sure why someone would sell a scapular and modify the prayer, but maybe there are some new versions that I just haven't heard of.
Old Nov 20, '12, 9:13 am

Would it be wrong to go to another priest and ask to be invested, just for my own sake of knowing it was done properly? Must I explain that it is being re-done, or just ask to be invested?
Old Nov 20, '12, 9:26 am

Quote:
Would it be wrong to go to another priest and ask to be invested, just for my own sake of knowing it was done properly? Must I explain that it is being re-done, or just ask to be invested?
I don't think you have to, but it wouldn't be sinful to do so. Only Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders cannot be repeated without sacrilege. This investiture, though important, isn't quite on the same level.

Another thing to keep in mind: when we become invested in the Scapular, we're making a commitment to do certain things on our end. One of those is the daily recitation of the Little Office (among other options like Wed/Sat abstinence, etc.). Priests can change this to a daily Rosary at your request, but make sure you ask for permission!
Old Nov 20, '12, 9:43 am

Quote:
I don't think you have to, but it wouldn't be sinful to do so. Only Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders cannot be repeated without sacrilege. This investiture, though important, isn't quite on the same level.

Another thing to keep in mind: when we become invested in the Scapular, we're making a commitment to do certain things on our end. One of those is the daily recitation of the Little Office (among other options like Wed/Sat abstinence, etc.). Priests can change this to a daily Rosary at your request, but make sure you ask for permission!
The priest I spoke to was glad to do it, yet he had very little knowledge of the brown scapular. I asked regarding the rosary, yet I did not get a clear answer. So given all the confusion on my part, it seems like it would just be easiest to ask a priest to invest me and make sure all the parts are fullfilled.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism