Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 30, '12, 4:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Outdoor Christmas Decorations: Nativity Scene Or Secular?

During the Christmas season, besides lights, many people deorate the outside of their homes with Santa, reindeers, snowman etc. Others have a Nativity scene. I think the Nativity scene is a person's way of reminding others that Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus. Maybe other people view a Nativity scene as too religious. What are your thoughts?
Old Nov 30, '12, 5:30 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Outdoor Christmas Decorations: Nativity Scene Or Secular?

I'd love to see more Nativity scenes and other religious decorations outdoors at Christmastime. Around our house, if anyone does more than lights it's those garish, blow-up displays, many of which fall victim to BB guns by the end of the season. We'll occasionally put a garland with light out but don't do more than that thanks to some neighborhood vandals from years ago.
Old Nov 30, '12, 5:54 pm
Prayer Warrior

I agree. We don't have a Nativity scene outside simply because we can't afford one. We're a young, broke family. Everything is second-hand. I always keep an eye out for a Nativity on Craig's List, though!! Inside our house, there is no question where our Christmas loyalties lie. But outside, since we do not have a nativity, we keep it pretty neutral. We have icicle lights, evergreen boughs, a spiral Christmas tree, and a fake evergreen thing that says "Joy" on it.
Old Nov 30, '12, 6:03 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexolic View Post
During the Christmas season, besides lights, many people deorate the outside of their homes with Santa, reindeers, snowman etc. Others have a Nativity scene. I think the Nativity scene is a person's way of reminding others that Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus. Maybe other people view a Nativity scene as too religious. What are your thoughts?
I thought we had both freedom of speech and freedom of worship in this country. If somebody wants to decorate his house or lawn with a flying spaghetti monster or light up druids, people will speak of 'diversity' and 'artistic freedom'. But oh GASP a Nativity. . .now we're religious freaks.

Until they take the word 'Christmas' off every single calendar, newspaper, 'media', book, TV show, or song; until they remove every possible 'religious theme' piece of merchandise, until the 25th of December is proclaimed throughout the USA as "Commercial Day" to be marked purely by the giving of ABC (anything but Christian) gifts., . .

Then my 'diversity' and 'artistic freedom' in displaying a Nativity is just as appropriate for the 'soi-disant' winter holiday (the last word ITSELF coming from HOLY DAY) than any other 'decoration.'

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Nov 30, '12, 6:14 pm
Forum Master

This is one time of year I am happy to live in the Bible belt. Nativity scenes abound. I have even seen a nativity version of those big inflatable yard decorations.

As for our house, we have a nativity scene and lots of lights outside! We may be adding a choir of angels this year.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Nov 30, '12, 6:23 pm

We've always done both the nativity scene and other decorations … but the nativity is the centerpiece. Then there was a rash of baby Jesus thefts, so we made a diorama in one of our windows. It looked great!
Old Nov 30, '12, 7:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia23 View Post
I agree. We don't have a Nativity scene outside simply because we can't afford one. We're a young, broke family. Everything is second-hand. I always keep an eye out for a Nativity on Craig's List, though!! Inside our house, there is no question where our Christmas loyalties lie. But outside, since we do not have a nativity, we keep it pretty neutral. We have icicle lights, evergreen boughs, a spiral Christmas tree, and a fake evergreen thing that says "Joy" on it.
I should mention that I agree the Nativity is a way of reminding others what Christmas is about. Not that it is too religious.
Old Nov 30, '12, 7:01 pm

We won't even have lights up... one year we'll have the money!
Old Nov 30, '12, 7:32 pm

Religion: Catholic and Proud of it!

Combine it...there is a santa ornament where he is kneeling at the manger. You could do the same somehow couldn't you?

"More souls go to hell because of sins of the flesh than for any other reason."
- Our Lady of Fatima

Who will speak for those who have no voice?

Life.....what a beautiful choice!
Old Dec 1, '12, 4:39 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Good morning, mexolic,

I like Nativity scenes and all the other Christmas decorations.

God loves you,
Don

Prayer is the purest form of human love - Don D. Snow

We're all God's creatures...and some humans can be His children. - Don D. Snow

Even the ignorant, may have wisdom. Anonymous
Old Dec 1, '12, 3:21 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediliz View Post
Combine it...there is a santa ornament where he is kneeling at the manger. You could do the same somehow couldn't you?
That is basically what I did. When I moved, my new front yard space was much smaller so I combined the two displays.

I replaced the stable animals with reindeer. For the three wise men bearing gifts I used Santa, Mrs. Claus, and that misfit elf from the television special. And for the star, I put Rudolph on the roof and amped up his nose to make it really bright.

It has the unfortunate night-time side effect of turning the snow to bloody red. But since half our Christmases are brown that is less of a problem than you might think. Most years, the neighbors don't complain.

Old Dec 2, '12, 11:42 am

I know of one house that goes all out decorating, huge display. However, they have a large Nativity scene as a focal point, and they also have a kneeling Santa (kneeling to the infant Jesus). They have an attractive mix, yet they leave no doubt what the reason for the season is, they even put that saying "Jesus's birth is the reason for the season," in their display and they place printed copies of "The Real Christmas Story" for use by anyone who walks to take one.

I believe that presents a proper "living in the world, yet not being of tghe world" Christmas display.

"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."
Old Dec 2, '12, 11:53 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

I am a huge life size one out of construction paper. I wish I could post a picture but I am not computer savvy.

Abortion kills a beating heart every 24 seconds

Dear Jesus, protect all the unborn today and forever. Amen

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence