Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 5, '12, 7:18 pm

Default prayer for peace of mind / forgiving someone / letting go

I really wish I could say I was thinking about someone other than myself right now.. and as I type this, the more selfish I feel, but I have been crying in class for the past 2 hours, or trying not to.
I had to run into a classmate who treated me badly and took advantage of me - who i held on for a long time hoping for an apology; anyway, I never got one, and it is just very uncomfortable between us and it really hurts to see him - I am sure he has no idea - but when I run into him, he pretty clealry deliberately turns his head away. I struggle to not feel resentful and hurt.. because recently he asked for my help with something - and it just hurts when he still cannot even say hello to me. I have not reached the level of forgiveness i'd like. I want to not let his actions bother me. but when he does that I feel so much pain.. and then i start hoping things will be good between us. I know they never will be. we never speak to each other,not even a hello... i am always ready to say hi but I am over sensitive
anyways

can anybody lead me in the direction of any prayers I could use? about forgiving someone and letting go of the past? or forgiving myself?
I want to be a caring person - that's why I helped him recently but I guess i should do that selflessly and not "expect" anything from him (I guess that includes him acknowledging me). Any ideas of prayers? Also, I ask that you pray for me, if it is not too much trouble?
or any Bible verses that are pertinent to this situation, that I could read?
Old Dec 5, '12, 8:31 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: prayer for peace of mind / forgiving someone / letting go

I'm sorry to hear of this. It does sound like an uncomfortable situation. I found the following.

...(K)neel before the Crucifix and, looking to divine justice, surrender your desire to take matters into your own hands to avenge your hurts. In imitation of Him who accepted injury quietly, peacefully, and, without grumbling or murmuring, we can say:

Prayer for Healing
“Lord, I am wounded. I hurt. I am helpless. I am broken. I am vulnerable. Nothing I can do by my own hands can protect me. Help me, for without your mercy and protection, I will perish. Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit. Help me to continue my work in your service despite the fact that I feel [betrayed, abandoned, unloved, insulted, falsely accused, etc.].”

And then let God do what He will to transform your suffering into courage and perseverance—and healing graces for those who hurt you.

--Pope John Paul II, Basilica of Montmartre, 1980

Sacred Heart Devotion Info
Old Dec 5, '12, 9:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfaith3 View Post
I really wish I could say I was thinking about someone other than myself right now.. and as I type this, the more selfish I feel, but I have been crying in class for the past 2 hours, or trying not to.
I had to run into a classmate who treated me badly and took advantage of me - who i held on for a long time hoping for an apology; anyway, I never got one, and it is just very uncomfortable between us and it really hurts to see him - I am sure he has no idea - but when I run into him, he pretty clealry deliberately turns his head away. I struggle to not feel resentful and hurt.. because recently he asked for my help with something - and it just hurts when he still cannot even say hello to me. I have not reached the level of forgiveness i'd like. I want to not let his actions bother me. but when he does that I feel so much pain.. and then i start hoping things will be good between us. I know they never will be. we never speak to each other,not even a hello... i am always ready to say hi but I am over sensitive
anyways

can anybody lead me in the direction of any prayers I could use? about forgiving someone and letting go of the past? or forgiving myself?
I want to be a caring person - that's why I helped him recently but I guess i should do that selflessly and not "expect" anything from him (I guess that includes him acknowledging me). Any ideas of prayers? Also, I ask that you pray for me, if it is not too much trouble?
or any Bible verses that are pertinent to this situation, that I could read?
Stop apologizing that you're alive. Your problem isn't forgiveness, or lack thereof, your problem is boundary and self-assertiveness, probably self-esteem as well. Work on those as if your life depended on it (which it does), the forgiveness part, don't rush it, it can be a long process. He has been disrespectful in the past, hasn't apologized, doesn't say hello when he meets you, and has the nerve to ask for your help, forgiveness doesn't mean nothing happened and he's your buddy. If self-respect hasn't been imparted in your home, learn it. As if your life depended on it. You DON'T want to be the one who feels people step all over him and then lash out at God for not protecting you from these people. (like I am) You're responsible for yourself, do your part and then pray to God. All these words starting in "self" will get you through life much more easily and pleasantly than feeling like a worthless piece of ship begging God for whatever.
Old Dec 6, '12, 12:43 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Dear FF3, I think Robertanthony makes some good points. I have read another one of your threads and I see some of myself in what you write. There seem to be a lot of issues that are eating away at you. You can't let some of this stuff tear you apart. Please don't take offense but did you ever think about asking for professional help to try to sort it all out? I did and do not regret it for a moment. In the meantime, I will be praying for your intentions. God bless you!

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Memorare
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother. To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.
Old Dec 6, '12, 4:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertanthony View Post
Stop apologizing that you're alive. Your problem isn't forgiveness, or lack thereof, your problem is boundary and self-assertiveness, probably self-esteem as well. Work on those as if your life depended on it (which it does), the forgiveness part, don't rush it, it can be a long process. He has been disrespectful in the past, hasn't apologized, doesn't say hello when he meets you, and has the nerve to ask for your help, forgiveness doesn't mean nothing happened and he's your buddy. If self-respect hasn't been imparted in your home, learn it. As if your life depended on it. You DON'T want to be the one who feels people step all over him and then lash out at God for not protecting you from these people. (like I am) You're responsible for yourself, do your part and then pray to God. All these words starting in "self" will get you through life much more easily and pleasantly than feeling like a worthless piece of ship begging God for whatever.

Ok I'll work on it, but I never apologized that I was alive ?!?!?!
i was just asking for some prayers for dealing with this situation - I don't think I am a worthless piece of __ - I am thinking I have met someone who has not been very nice to me and I would like to know how to handle the situation. In fact, the fact thati don't think i deserve to be treated like that suggests that I don't think that way about myself at all...
I don't go out of my way for this person, and it's just those rare times when we cross paths in the hallway that get me down... I will run into him again, and I now don't expect anything from him, but in the case that we do interact I pray that God will guide me in knowing what to do.. i already feel better about this after praying and talking to my mother

Last edited by findingfaith3; Dec 6, '12 at 4:27 am.
Old Dec 6, '12, 6:10 am
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfaith3 View Post
Ok I'll work on it, but I never apologized that I was alive ?!?!?!i was just asking for some prayers for dealing with this situation - I don't think I am a worthless piece of __ - I am thinking I have met someone who has not been very nice to me and I would like to know how to handle the situation. In fact, the fact thati don't think i deserve to be treated like that suggests that I don't think that way about myself at all...
I don't go out of my way for this person, and it's just those rare times when we cross paths in the hallway that get me down... I will run into him again, and I now don't expect anything from him, but in the case that we do interact I pray that God will guide me in knowing what to do.. i already feel better about this after praying and talking to my mother
I guess it's a French expression that doesn't translate very well, then. It means, for instance, that you'll apologize if someone steps on your foot, that deep down you don't feel worthy of others' consideration, respect, love etc. You don't have to plot revenge against this guy, nor mean him harm, but actually helping him with all the unresolved, undealt-with issues sends the wrong message IMHO.Just offering my insight.
Old Dec 6, '12, 8:56 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Praying hard for you and your situation.
Old Dec 11, '12, 6:21 pm
Prayer Warrior

I pray the Rosary everyday in my times of need and even after. I am definitely praying for you that everything works out and that you may find happiness and joy during this Holiday Season, God Bless!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,The Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women, and
Blessed is the Fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary Mother of God,
Pray for us Sinners, now and at the our of death. Amen

Keep your head up, Believe Miracles do happen, God Bless you
Old Dec 12, '12, 8:32 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Lord, may findingfaith3 pray her "Our Father" frequently and really mean it. When she prays: "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" may she say it with conviction and think of her friend. I pray that she prays her rosary faithfully every day for the grace she needs to forgive more deeply and for all the other graces she needs. And I pray that she deepens her devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and asks her for her heart and dispositions with which to forgive her friend more completely. Amen.
Old Dec 12, '12, 8:38 am
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

Lord, grant peace and charity among findingfaith3 and this person. Send Our Lady to fill the void and hurt in findingfaith3's heart. Lend ministering angels to help findingfaith3 in this cause and all causes, leading her to you now and forever. Mary, pray with us. Amen.
Old Dec 15, '12, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
Lord, grant peace and charity among findingfaith3 and this person. Send Our Lady to fill the void and hurt in findingfaith3's heart. Lend ministering angels to help findingfaith3 in this cause and all causes, leading her to you now and forever. Mary, pray with us. Amen.
thank you

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions