Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 7, '12, 6:51 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Mortal Sin to not attend mass?

So, today we had our First Friday mass and our priest said that it was MORTAL SIN not to attend the mass on the Holy days of Obligation.

I freaked

My parents were having a Golf tournament on that day and my Driver is on his day off. The closest Church to my house is nearly a mile away. My parents would kill me if I walked all the way on my own. Heck, I don't even know the church's schedule!

So, what happens? If I go, that would be breaking my parent's rules and that would be disrespectful towards them.

If I don't go, is it still Mortal sin?
Old Dec 7, '12, 7:31 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Mortal Sin to not attend mass?

If there is no possible way, after all efforts, of you being able to get to Mass, I wouldn't consider it a mortal sin -- God will understand you weren't able to make it.
Old Dec 7, '12, 7:34 am

How old are you? Your age would factor into the proper answer.

And yes to deliberately miss Sunday Mass without just cause is a mortal sin
Old Dec 7, '12, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio_022 View Post
So, today we had our First Friday mass and our priest said that it was MORTAL SIN not to attend the mass on the Holy days of Obligation.

I freaked

My parents were having a Golf tournament on that day and my Driver is on his day off. The closest Church to my house is nearly a mile away. My parents would kill me if I walked all the way on my own. Heck, I don't even know the church's schedule!

So, what happens? If I go, that would be breaking my parent's rules and that would be disrespectful towards them.

As (I'm assuming) a young man incapable of transporting yourself safely, the obligation you have to attend mass falls to your parents, not to you. As such, it is a mortal sin for them to allow / aide you in missing mass, but it is their sin, and not yours.

Are they Catholic? If so, why are they not attending mass? If they are attending mass, why don't you just go with them? I don't think a golf tournament counts as justification to miss mass... unless it's a big charity event, and they'll raise a lot of money for some worthwhile cause... then maybe.... they'd have to ask their priest.
Old Dec 7, '12, 7:49 am

Thought I'd mention something else -- have you asked your parents to take you to Mass and come get you when it is over? Or is that out of the question? I often do that on Sunday and my mother can't go to Mass.

Also, as been said, a golf tournament is not really a just cause to miss Mass, if they know Holy Days and are Catholic, but that would be their sin, not yours.
Old Dec 7, '12, 8:49 am
Banned

Religion: Laid back trad

Quote:
So, today we had our First Friday mass and our priest said that it was MORTAL SIN not to attend the mass on the Holy days of Obligation. I freaked My parents were having a Golf tournament on that day and my Driver is on his day off. The closest Church to my house is nearly a mile away. My parents would kill me if I walked all the way on my own. Heck, I don't even know the church's schedule! So, what happens? If I go, that would be breaking my parent's rules and that would be disrespectful towards them. If I don't go, is it still Mortal sin?
That is a really high-class problem, but a problem nonetheless..

Could you get a ride from one of your neighbors..'borrow' their driver?
Why can't you walk a mile..is it un-safe?
Could they drop you off and you could get a ride back with a fellow catholic?
You have a bicycle? Golf cart (an extra one of course)?
Taxi?
Old Dec 7, '12, 8:49 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Is there an evening Mass tonight that you could go to as a family?

I don't think a mile is an unreasonable distance for a teen to walk alone, but I have no idea what the roads or sidewalks around your house are like.

I would do the following things (this is athe advice I give to all young people trying to get to Mass without a car and/or license).

First ask your parents to go to Mass as a family. It would probably help if you knew the Mass schedule for your local parish and the church near the golf course. Go here for that: masstimes.org

Check with friends or other family members to see if you can go to Mass with them.

Ask permission to walk (if it is safe). Or take public transportation (if possible/safe).

As another poster said, as a minor without transportation, you can't have an obligation to go to Mass if you simply can't get there.
Old Dec 7, '12, 8:51 am
Banned

Religion: Laid back trad

..and if you have figured out how to work the 'internets' to get on CAF, you could see if the church has a website, or maybe get the phone number and call them?

Or use the 'googles'
Old Dec 7, '12, 8:52 am

Religion: Baptised and Confirmed Easter 2013!

Does the parish have more than one Mass you would be able to attend to fulfill the obligation? It might be different on college campuses, but on holy days of obligation we have at least three masses on different days to be sure everyone can attend. Also, have you asked anyone you know from church to give you a ride? One mile away doesn't really sound that far.

Our generation survived Roe v. Wade, but Roe v. Wade will not survive our generation.
Old Dec 7, '12, 9:06 am

Quote:
...nearly a mile .... My parents would kill me if I walked all the way on my own.
Can I assume it's a very dangerous route? Because I can't imagine anyone seriously balking at such a tiny distance. In fact, it's not even a distance at all; it's a proximity.

I walk 2.5 miles home from work, 5 days a week, and I usually stop at a church for 5:30 Mass, which is 1.5 miles from my job.

My parents think it's a very healthy thing to do. They're right.

Quote:
Heck, I don't even know the church's schedule!
http://www.masstimes.org/

http://www.parishesonline.com/scripts/default.asp
Old Dec 7, '12, 9:37 am

Quote:

I freaked

If your parents can be off at a golf tournament, you attend a private Opus Dei school, and your family has a "driver", it's obvious you are quite wealthy and your neighborhood is likely very upscale and quite safe to walk to your nearby Church. If safety is that much of an issue, then you surely can afford a taxi.....
Old Dec 7, '12, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdglArchitect View Post
As (I'm assuming) a young man incapable of transporting yourself safely, the obligation you have to attend mass falls to your parents, not to you. As such, it is a mortal sin for them to allow / aide you in missing mass, but it is their sin, and not yours.

Are they Catholic? If so, why are they not attending mass? If they are attending mass, why don't you just go with them? I don't think a golf tournament counts as justification to miss mass... unless it's a big charity event, and they'll raise a lot of money for some worthwhile cause... then maybe.... they'd have to ask their priest.
Me and my family go (try our best) to mass every Sunday but the day of obligation is on a Saturday. Is it okay to go to Sunday mass instead of the one on Saturday?

EDIT: Another problem. My dad is always on duty (he's a surgeon). He gets patients all the time and is barely at home. If my parents were to cancel the tournament, my dad would still be THIS busy. Is it a mortal sin for him if he is not able to go because of work?
Old Dec 7, '12, 10:05 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Me and my family go (try our best) to mass every Sunday but the day of obligation is on a Saturday. Is it okay to go to Sunday mass instead of the one on Saturday?
No. You have two obligations. So this weekend you will go to Mass Saturday AND Sunday. (or Friday night for Saturday's obligation).

Quote:
EDIT: Another problem. My dad is always on duty (he's a surgeon). He gets patients all the time and is barely at home. If my parents were to cancel the tournament, my dad would still be THIS busy. Is it a mortal sin for him if he is not able to go because of work?
If he is on duty he can still go to Mass. If he gets paged, it is appropriate for him to leave Mass. It is only one hour.

You are making excuses. Go to Mass. Call your priest and talk to him if you really cannot go.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 7, '12, 10:12 am

I REALLY REALLY don't want anyone in my family to have Mortal sin. Is there a way where EVERYONE wins?

Edit: Also, if we miss a mass on a Sunday, we always go again the next day. Is it still a Mortal sin?
Old Dec 7, '12, 10:16 am

Quote:
I REALLY REALLY don't want anyone in my family to have Mortal sin. Is there a way where EVERYONE wins?

Edit: Also, if we miss a mass on a Sunday, we always go again the next day. Is it still a Mortal sin?
Yes. You all go to Mass Friday evening or Saturday (any time) for the IC, and then again to a second Mass, Saturday evening or Sunday for the 2nd Sunday of Advent.

God Bless
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism