Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Hurricanes: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 5, '05, 5:52 pm

Default anyone not from the US

Most people here are from the US but a good number aren't. So what's the "word on the street" around the world? What are people saying?
Old Sep 5, '05, 6:14 pm

Religion: Catholic - gender, female
Default Re: anyone not from the US

Well, here our news media are full of it, of course, and we are getting what I feel is a very balanced picture.

We have a couple of reporters over there giving their impressions of the terrible tragedy, interviewing locals, law enforcement people, etc and we are hearing all sides, I think, with no particular"slant" to it.

I mean, there is no undue Bush-bashing, for example, though we are aware many do lay blame on the federal government.
I think the general feeling is this:
The area affected is about the same size as our whole country.
So - would we cope better???

Last edited by ATeNumquam; Sep 5, '05 at 6:15 pm. Reason: add word
Old Sep 6, '05, 1:44 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

[quote=cardenio]Most people here are from the US but a good number aren't. So what's the "word on the street" around the world? What are people saying?[/QUOTE

We have had extensive coverage on NHK. They were lots of graphs and figures explaining about storm surges and leeves, the position of NO etc. There was also a lot of coverage of the people stranded in NO and rescue efforts. People shooting at police and rescue people was also give a lot of coverage and most presenters couldn't explain why this happened.
We have had no coverage today but then we have a large typhoon here in western Japan.
Gearoidin
Old Sep 6, '05, 4:00 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Here in the UK, we have had excellent coverage from the BBC, as to be expected.

There was an excellent report yesterday, for example. A reporter and crew went out in a boat that was trying to get people who were still in their flooded houses, out. One family of five children had lost their mother, dead in the back room, I think because she didn't have access to oxygen. Two men had stayed hauled up in their attic because they wouldn't abandon their mother, lying dead in a sling. Some guardsmen were trying to get one old lady to evacuate but she had a fear of anything unusual, and they had difficulty with her. One 95-year-old woman was airlifted, and she looked very painfully thin and ill. A 6-months-pregnant lady finally got evacuated too.

It was terribly sad, but it was an excellent piece of journalism.

Mike
Old Sep 6, '05, 10:37 am

Not a foreigner but I can pass on something from Italy. My friends & family there are amazed at the footage of looting & guns being fired at helicopters trying to drop supplies, etc. One of them said that he can't believe it's real - it seems like something in a movie. I've had to explain that these are not representative of average Americans & how we respond to crises, but I'm also kind of ashamed that I have to do that at all.

I also get the state TV from Italy, but since I avoid watching news generally I haven't checked on their reports. However, my guess is that it's pretty straightforward because that's how they usually go about their business. I've noticed that about European TV news generally - they're more concerned with presenting the facts than slanting or embellishing stories in the name of ratings.
Old Sep 6, '05, 11:04 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Unreformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellina
I've noticed that about European TV news generally - they're more concerned with presenting the facts than slanting or embellishing stories in the name of ratings.
Some Euro press are good. Much of the Euro press is biased against the US -- the BBC leading the pack.
Old Sep 6, '05, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani Ibi
Some Euro press are good. Much of the Euro press is biased against the US -- the BBC leading the pack.
And yet it is shockingly *state*-owned - the state being the 'best friends' of the USA. How odd.

It might mean state-owned media don't *necessarily* slavishly follow the line of the administration. Or it might just mean you are wrong about them being biased.

In this case, it's both of course

Mike
Old Sep 6, '05, 11:35 am

Send a message via Yahoo to johnshelby

[quote=Gearoidin]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardenio
Most people here are from the US but a good number aren't. So what's the "word on the street" around the world? What are people saying?[/QUOTE

We have had extensive coverage on NHK. They were lots of graphs and figures explaining about storm surges and leeves, the position of NO etc. There was also a lot of coverage of the people stranded in NO and rescue efforts. People shooting at police and rescue people was also give a lot of coverage and most presenters couldn't explain why this happened.
We have had no coverage today but then we have a large typhoon here in western Japan.
Gearoidin
i can give an 'idea' about the shooting at police and rescue people..

there is a certain type of person, who will take advantage of these situations, to steal and other things..

if order is restored, then they won't be able to continue with their enterprises with a 'free hand'.. so, anything they can do to delay or stop the recovery entirely, is in their best interest..

and believe me, N.O. has more than it's share of that type person.. they have had order problems for years..

:-)
Old Sep 6, '05, 12:20 pm

A pretty balanced report, in my opinion, from the BBC:

'Multiple failures caused relief crisis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4216508.stm

Mike
Old Sep 6, '05, 1:52 pm

Religion: Catholic - gender, female

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWM
A pretty balanced report, in my opinion, from the BBC:

'Multiple failures caused relief crisis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4216508.stm

Mike
for the BBC!
We get a lot of BBC coverage here in general - also about Katrina.

I think it is outstanding, and very balanced.

I was about to give some contrasting examples with other media, but I would be hijacking the thread, as they don't relate to Katrina.

We are only 10 days out from a general election here, so this perhaps limits our coverage of Katrina right now.
Old Sep 6, '05, 2:04 pm

Religion: non practicing protestant

I thought the BBC article was very balanced and gave many reasons for the debacle happening. I do think there was more than one factor that contributed to the bungled relief effort.
Old Sep 7, '05, 2:42 am

Well the media over here did mention the slow response once or twice then we had stories coming out of the Super Dome of child rape, (hope those aren't true, if they are they're sick)
People here in Ireland don't mention the storm much but if I do they just sympathize with those people.
Then we had offers of help from Europe, but some say they had to wait for permission first.
Iv'e watched CNN coverage, BBC,ITV,SKY NEWS, and it's all just more of the same.
One criticsm I have myself from a long way off, is why wasn't their food and water drops next day, and I do wonder did people die that could have been saved.
I don't think we can blame one man, it's looks from here like the chain of communication was broken in several places.
And the race issue raised it's ugly head in the media over here, well i'm not sure that is the reason, there were and are a lot of white people caught up in it too.
Then on Tuesday we had an Irish politician saying Ireland will help in whatever way possible, but he said "we have to be realistic about this, America is awash with billionaires" (his words not mine)
Then we had the usual pretty much what you probably see in the USA, the Mayor freaking out on radio (quite rightly so) and the female senator wanting to go 3 rounds with George Bush.
Anyway it's dissapearing off the front pages of the newspapers, and it will be touched on many times on TV, but the media is fickle, and it doesn't take long until your yesterdays news, sad but true.
Old Sep 7, '05, 3:36 am

Religion: catholic

from australia:

1. what kind of society is usa that there would be child rape, murder etc - so much for the highest rate of church going in the west - it means nothing

2. australian officials refused access to new orleans - we are very angry at that

3. australians phoning by cell phone back to australia - trapped in the Dome with rape, murder etc all around them

what kind of people are americans ?

4.most incompetent rescue mission in living memory - could not drop basic water & food to people in city for 3 days

5. what kind of nut cases are there that shoot at doctors & engineers ?

6. reporters could drive in and broadcast live into australia and supply food/water and help people - but no emergency services were there - gross incompetance
Old Sep 7, '05, 4:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm_davies
from australia:

1. what kind of society is usa that there would be child rape, murder etc - so much for the highest rate of church going in the west - it means nothing

2. australian officials refused access to new orleans - we are very angry at that

3. australians phoning by cell phone back to australia - trapped in the Dome with rape, murder etc all around them

what kind of people are americans ?

4.most incompetent rescue mission in living memory - could not drop basic water & food to people in city for 3 days

5. what kind of nut cases are there that shoot at doctors & engineers ?

6. reporters could drive in and broadcast live into australia and supply food/water and help people - but no emergency services were there - gross incompetance
Whew!! For a second there I worried there'd be inaccurate and biased reporting!
Old Sep 7, '05, 5:22 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWM
Here in the UK, we have had excellent coverage from the BBC, as to be expected.

There was an excellent report yesterday, for example. A reporter and crew went out in a boat that was trying to get people who were still in their flooded houses, out. One family of five children had lost their mother, dead in the back room, I think because she didn't have access to oxygen. Two men had stayed hauled up in their attic because they wouldn't abandon their mother, lying dead in a sling. Some guardsmen were trying to get one old lady to evacuate but she had a fear of anything unusual, and they had difficulty with her. One 95-year-old woman was airlifted, and she looked very painfully thin and ill. A 6-months-pregnant lady finally got evacuated too.

It was terribly sad, but it was an excellent piece of journalism.

Mike
I wonder if this piece will be on BBC America? Hopefully it will eventually air on American tv. I would like to see this.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Hurricanes: 2005