Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 8, '12, 1:29 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Egypt: Obama sends Muslim Brotherhood rulers more tanks and fighter jets

Quote:
For the new Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood dominated government, the Obama Administration is ensuring another $1.3 billion annual shipment of state-of-the-art weaponry.
As reported by The Washington Times, despite Egypt's new president Mohammed Morsi being a member of the terrorist related Muslim Brotherhood, the money and arms pipeline from Washington to Cairo will remain open and flowing.
http://www.examiner.com/article/egyp...d-fighter-jets

Why is Obama giving such help to Morsi when he is a member of the terrorist related Muslim Brotherhood? Aren't we supposed to be fighting against the terrorists?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Dec 8, '12, 1:37 pm

Default Re: Egypt: Obama sends Muslim Brotherhood rulers more tanks and fighter jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
http://www.examiner.com/article/egyp...d-fighter-jets

Why is Obama giving such help to Morsi when he is a member of the terrorist related Muslim Brotherhood? Aren't we supposed to be fighting against the terrorists?
Because the Egyptian military really runs Egypt, has done so for several decades, and it really isn't interested in giving up any real power to the MB.
Old Dec 8, '12, 3:20 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: Egypt: Obama sends Muslim Brotherhood rulers more tanks and fighter jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcatholicguy View Post
Because the Egyptian military really runs Egypt, has done so for several decades, and it really isn't interested in giving up any real power to the MB.
Well, I must say OldCatholicGuy, this still concerns me considering Muhammad Morsi's recent power grab and such. He is acting like a dictator and with him having such a powerful military it does concern me. I mean, the Muslim Brotherhood is somewhat anti-Semitic or anti-Israel is it not? What if they were to attack Israel?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Dec 8, '12, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Well, I must say OldCatholicGuy, this still concerns me considering Muhammad Morsi's recent power grab and such. He is acting like a dictator and with him having such a powerful military it does concern me. I mean, the Muslim Brotherhood is somewhat anti-Semitic or anti-Israel is it not? What if they were to attack Israel?
-I would be more concerned if the military was full of radicals or had a better working history with the MB

-Yes the MB is those things

-If Egypt had attacked Israel in 2007 (before the current administration), the attack would be carried out by a military that had received training by our military with equipment and weapons that were either from the US or bought with US supplied money. What Obama's admin is doing is no different than what past admins have done, namely buying off the people (the Egyptian military) who are really in charge.

-If the goal of the US is to keep Egypt from becoming a radical Islamist state run by the MB we need to keep the guys who have the power to stop them (the Egyptian military) happy and in power.
Old Dec 8, '12, 3:40 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Israel trusts Egypt, Morsi or not, enough to settle the cease-fire with Gaza by working through Egyptian military intelligence intermediaries. Israel trusts Egypt enough to authorize the deployment of tanks and other heavy weapons into the Sinai last year to combat arms smugglers.

Egypt has been a US ally for 30 years. We have been supplying military aid for that entire time, but a large part of Egyptian hardware is still of 1970s Soviet vintage. Even with the new addition of M1A1 tanks, Egypt will only have 1000 of them. The other 3000 tanks are vintage pieces which would not stand up to modern warfare. Egypt is not a military threat to Israel.

Morsi's power grab is of concern. But even if he were to refuse to relinquish power, I am not sure he would be worse than Mubarak, who the US tolerated for many years. Morsi's leadership role in the Muslim Brotherhood is also of concern. However, he has a country to run and that brings responsibilities that a mere activist does not have.

I would be careful about taking that blog post you cited too seriously. The author is a political activist and the slant in his article is obvious. For example, he makes a big deal of M1A1 tanks, but the US switched to M1A2 tanks 15 years ago. No wonder the US Marine Corps has so few of the older model!
Old Dec 8, '12, 5:28 pm

Quote:
If Egypt were to attack Israel, then Obama would be culpable. It's just like Ronald Reagan was culpable for the Iran contra scandal. The U.S. has a long history of giving people weapons, only to watch those people bite the hand that feeds them (the U.S. and our interests).

Only 7% of what you communicate is through text alone. Thus:
Face to Face > Internet

-I'm a notorious thread ender
Old Dec 9, '12, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Israel trusts Egypt, Morsi or not, enough to settle the cease-fire with Gaza by working through Egyptian military intelligence intermediaries. Israel trusts Egypt enough to authorize the deployment of tanks and other heavy weapons into the Sinai last year to combat arms smugglers.

Egypt has been a US ally for 30 years. We have been supplying military aid for that entire time, but a large part of Egyptian hardware is still of 1970s Soviet vintage. Even with the new addition of M1A1 tanks, Egypt will only have 1000 of them. The other 3000 tanks are vintage pieces which would not stand up to modern warfare. Egypt is not a military threat to Israel.

Morsi's power grab is of concern. But even if he were to refuse to relinquish power, I am not sure he would be worse than Mubarak, who the US tolerated for many years. Morsi's leadership role in the Muslim Brotherhood is also of concern. However, he has a country to run and that brings responsibilities that a mere activist does not have.

I would be careful about taking that blog post you cited too seriously. The author is a political activist and the slant in his article is obvious. For example, he makes a big deal of M1A1 tanks, but the US switched to M1A2 tanks 15 years ago. No wonder the US Marine Corps has so few of the older model!
I think whatever radicalism the MB has is going to be worn down by the friction they'll encounter running a country. The recent resistance to Morsi's attempted power-grab is probably the first example of this.
Old Dec 9, '12, 7:05 pm
Forum Elder

I agree with those who are saying the army is the real power in Egypt. Also note that the money is part of the Camp David Accords, which we are not about to abandon unilaterally.
Old Dec 9, '12, 7:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Faithless Catholic / Pascal Catholic

What a waste, of American resources.
People in this country are doing with so little right now, and his interested are in these 3rd world desert countries. Let who ever has an army over there fight, die or win I don't care, keep our tax dollars out of the middle east.
How on earth did he get reelected?
Old Dec 9, '12, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessup View Post
People in this country are doing with so little right now, and his interested are in these 3rd world desert countries. Let who ever has an army over there fight, die or win I don't care, keep our tax dollars out of the middle east.
Every president back to Nixon has done the same. The lines of continuity between presidencies are really more significant than the divergences from one to another. Romney would have been no exception.
Old Dec 10, '12, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmywaykurtz View Post
Every president back to Nixon has done the same. The lines of continuity between presidencies are really more significant than the divergences from one to another. Romney would have been no exception.
Not every president (in fact no president has ever done it) has run up trillion dollar deficits every year - that is the real exception.
Old Dec 10, '12, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
Not every president (in fact no president has ever done it) has run up trillion dollar deficits every year - that is the real exception.
What does that have to do with American administrations' relations with Egypt, Sam?
Old Dec 10, '12, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmywaykurtz View Post
What does that have to do with American administrations' relations with Egypt, Sam?

As a reminder:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessup View Post
Old Dec 10, '12, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
As a reminder:
I see. Well, an identical statement could have been uttered immediately following Bush's invasion of Iraq, and would have been just as pertinent, wouldn't you say?
Old Dec 10, '12, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcatholicguy View Post
take a look at the news..................

http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-army-sta...122440522.html

a comment from the link..................

Quote:
The Army wont suppress the people for Morsi, but in the end the Army does not love democracy. In the end it's up to Egyptian people to go to the streets to defend their revolution.
http://news.yahoo.com/muslim-brother...192900709.html

This is the motto of the brotherhood “Allah is our objective. Muhammad is our leader. Qur’an is our law. Jihad is our way. Dying in the way of Allah is our highest hope.” Is a highly organized political jihad whose goal is the implementation of Shariah, around the globe, by political, military or Islamic educational means.

so is the president of the U S A dealing with terrorists now?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News