Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 14, '12, 6:07 am

Religion: Content Catholic
Default 3 days/nights of darkness prophecy

What is your opinion? What is the official Church stance?

I have heard arguments for and against authenticity of Padre Pio, Fatima visionaries and other Saints who have predicted this.

Blessed Anna Maria Taigi made the prophecy of the 3 days of darkness was She lived 1769-1837. This is what she wrote during her life:

"God will send two punishments: one will be in the form of wars, revolutions and other evils; it shall originate on earth. The other will be sent from Heaven. There shall come over the whole earth an intense darkness lasting three days and three nights. Nothing can be seen, and the air will be laden with pestilence which will claim mainly, but not only, the enemies of religion. It will be impossible to use any man-made lighting during this darkness, except blessed candles. He, who out of curiosity, opens his window to look out, or leaves his home, will fall dead on the spot. During these three days, people should remain in their homes, pray the Rosary and beg God for mercy.
"All the enemies of the Church, whether known or unknown, will perish over the whole earth during that universal darkness, with the exception of a few whom God will soon convert. The air shall be infected by demons who will appear under all sorts of hideous forms."

(Prophecy of Blessed Anna Maria Taigi (1769-1837 A.D.) who was Beatified by Pope Bendedict XV in 1920.)
Old Dec 14, '12, 7:51 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: 3 days/nights of darkness prophecy

When I was a member of the Pius V movement we were instructed to always have blessed beeswax candles and shades to pull over our windows when this occurred.

I don't worry about it today and worry more about the state of grace I am in. I struggle enough to stay away from sin so that is my focus.

I would like to hear more about this as well, great question.
Old Dec 14, '12, 8:06 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Fatima? nothing in Fatima to my knowledge regarding such.

As to St. P. Pio --one source which has been quoted by Jimmy Akin in the past notes that the claim is not true...that he did not have such prophecies.

As to the Church -- there is nothing said one way or another to my knowledge. Such falls under the area of private revelations/ prophecies that are not approved per se to my knowledge.

Much can go into such which is symbolic and can even be wrong or misunderstood (such is the nature of such -- beatification or canonization is not an endorsement of such)

Also often modern writers seek to piece things together from various sources and come up with their interpretation ...of such

So if one approaches such a topic ..such must be born in mind.

Last edited by Bookcat; Dec 14, '12 at 8:18 am.
Old Dec 14, '12, 8:44 am

HUH!

Long time practicing Catholic here and it's the first I've ever heard of this...interesting.
Old Dec 14, '12, 9:08 am

ALL of them are just private revelations, so it's not a matter of official teaching.

IMO all are modeled after John's Revelation and tend to express an old cultural model, in which man is regarded rather as a kind of primitive beast, who must be constantly threatened and scared to death in order to give up sinning. Besides, most unapproved revelations contain the same assortment of natural disasters, wars and diseases, just because the "seers" enjoy gaining fame as prophets.
Old Dec 14, '12, 9:24 am

Blessed Mary of Jesus
" During a darkness lasting 3 days people given to evil will perish."

Jesus said to Saint Faustina
"All light in the heavens will be extinguished, and there will be a great darkness over the whole earth.."

Blessed Anna Maria Taigi
"There shall come over the whole earth an intense darkness lasting 3 days and 3 nights. Nothing will be visible.."
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:16 am
Banned

Hmmmmmm....... You have the Diary number( or page number) for the St. Faustina quote?
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzovik View Post
Hmmmmmm....... You have the Diary number( or page number) for the St. Faustina quote?
page 42 - diary number 83
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:21 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMAITRE View Post
[size="3"][font="Arial Narrow"]What is your opinion? What is the official Church stance?

I have heard arguments for and against authenticity of Padre Pio, Fatima visionaries and other Saints who have predicted this.
Padre Pio didn't predict it. Neither is it from Fatima. It's an internet myth. There is no argument, the Fatima material is all available online, you can read all of it to yourself. There is no source at all for Padre Pio saying anything like this. If you try and follow it all you get is one place online copying some other place online. There's no "official Church position" because they usually don't bother forming one for every stray piece of junk that comes over the bandwidth.
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:31 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exquisitor View Post
page 42 - diary number 83
I think a bit more of the quote will dispel the "3 days of darkness" connection:

Quote:
Before I come as the just Judge, I am coming first as the King of Mercy. Before the day of justice arrives, there will be given to people a sign in the heavens of this sort: All light in the heavens will be extinguished, and there will be great darkness over the whole earth. Then the sign of the cross will be seen in the sky, and from the openings where the hands and the feet of the Savior were nailed will come forth great lights which will light up the earth for a period of time. This will take place shortly before the last day. (83)
Her diary is only, all citations are done in paragraph reference numbers. Page #s are useless unless you also cite a specific publisher, date and edition. But anyone can look up her diary quotes from the paragraph numbers.
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:41 am

Quote:

Blessed Anna Maria Taigi made the prophecy of the 3 days of darkness was She lived 1769-1837. This is what she wrote during her life:

"God will send two punishments: one will be in the form of wars, revolutions and other evils; it shall originate on earth. The other will be sent from Heaven. There shall come over the whole earth an intense darkness lasting three days and three nights. Nothing can be seen, and the air will be laden with pestilence which will claim mainly, but not only, the enemies of religion. It will be impossible to use any man-made lighting during this darkness, except blessed candles. He, who out of curiosity, opens his window to look out, or leaves his home, will fall dead on the spot. During these three days, people should remain in their homes, pray the Rosary and beg God for mercy.
"All the enemies of the Church, whether known or unknown, will perish over the whole earth during that universal darkness, with the exception of a few whom God will soon convert. The air shall be infected by demons who will appear under all sorts of hideous forms."

(Prophecy of Blessed Anna Maria Taigi (1769-1837 A.D.) who was Beatified by Pope Bendedict XV in 1920.)
If this is accurate, it's probably just an elaboration of the tribulations described in the book of Revelation; one of them was certainly darkness:

And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast. And his kingdom became dark: and they gnawed their tongues for pain. (Rev 16: 10; the "kingdom of the beast" here could refer to the brief rule of the Antichrist)

And the light of the lamp shall shine no more at all in thee (Rev 18:23, "thee" is Babylon the Great)

Of course, that interpretation would require you to take Revelation in a futurist sense (I'm more of a preterist), but there's nothing in Church teaching against it; as Dr. Scott Hahn's biblical commentary has pointed out, no single viewpoint is sufficient to understand Revelation.

No private revelation is "binding" or "authoritative", though. The most we can say is that it's consistent with Scripture or Tradition, and there's a good case for that here.
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:43 am

Quote:

Does anybody really believe this stuff?
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post
I think a bit more of the quote will dispel the "3 days of darkness" connection:

Her diary is only, all citations are done in paragraph reference numbers. Page #s are useless unless you also cite a specific publisher, date and edition. But anyone can look up her diary quotes from the paragraph numbers.
The quote was only intended to show that a darkness will come upon the earth whether it be for 3 minutes or 3 days. Jesus never said how long this darkness will last, only that all light in the heavens will be extinguished, so therefore no sunlight, moonlight, no stars in the sky until the cross appears which will send forth lights.
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:49 am
Banned

ILoveangels Wrote:

"Does anybody really believe this stuff?"

Nimzovik Responds

If Saints and the Blessed refer to this kind of thing then it merits attention.
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:51 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post

Hmmmmmmmm......... Your thinking is that the quote is all symbolic?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics