Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 14, '12, 9:39 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Sex with Transgender a sin?

Is sex with a transgender a sin? (male to female)

Knowing she was a transgender and still having her male part below but everything else is female does it make it a sin if a person did?

I've heard people say technically they're born with male features but in the inside they're females and make a life decision on having sex change.

Which is why I'm really curious.
Old Dec 14, '12, 9:53 pm

Religion: Baptized in CC, Discerning
Default Re: Sex with Transgender a sin?

It sounds like you are talking about a biological male, in terms of chromosomes, who would prefer to be a female.

If I understand you correctly, then the answer would be that it is a sin for two reasons.

1. This person is not married to a female. If I am mistaken about that, then sex is OK with his wife.

2. This person cannot bear a child. Therefore sexual relations cannot be procreative, if I understand what you mean by having sex with this person.

R O T A S
O P E R A
T E N E T
A R E P O
S A T O R
Old Dec 14, '12, 9:57 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by epan View Post
It sounds like you are talking about a biological male, in terms of chromosomes, who would prefer to be a female.

If I understand you correctly, then the answer would be that it is a sin for two reasons.

1. This person is not married to a female. If I am mistaken about that, then sex is OK with his wife.

2. This person cannot bear a child. Therefore sexual relations cannot be procreative, if I understand what you mean by having sex with this person.
If the person knows about these rules but didn't know it would still be consider with a transgender would it still be consider a sin?
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:14 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillax8 View Post

Knowing she was a transgender and still having her male part below but everything else is female does it make it a sin if a person did?
Ok, think it through.

Sexual relations outside of marriage is a sin against the sixth commandment. So if you are talking about relations with someone you are not married to, the transgender element of your question is completely irrelevant-- you already know the answer to this.

A biological male cannot marry another biological male, even if they reassign themselves female parts through surgery. They are male, and the Church does not recognize "transgendered" individuals as anything other than the sex they are born.

Quote:
I've heard people say technically they're born with male features but in the inside they're females and make a life decision on having sex change.
Yes, we need to pray for them because they have serious mental and/or physiological issues.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:29 pm
Trial Membership

Is it possible to confess this sin to a priest during confession at a Catholic church?
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:42 pm

Yes, of course it's possible, and more than possible, welcomed that a person would confess this or ANY other sin at confession.
Old Dec 14, '12, 10:44 pm
Trial Membership

Thanks for everyone help here.
Old Dec 14, '12, 11:55 pm

Quote:

Are you MARRIED to this person? Sex outside marriage is a sin.
Old Dec 14, '12, 11:56 pm

Quote:

Are you MARRIED to this person? [Don't tell me, just answer for yourself.]
Sex outside marriage is a sin.
Old Dec 15, '12, 12:42 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

You can't fornicate with this individual planning to later confess the sin and hope to be forgiven because such a confession would not be sincere. Of course, that goes for any type of sin, not just fornication with a transsexual.

Don't ever try to fool God.
Old Dec 15, '12, 3:17 am
Forum Elder

Quote:

If a person is born a male they are a male forever. It does not matter how they feel, what they think or what medication or operations they have. They remain a male.
Old Dec 15, '12, 3:45 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic

This is why I am extremely careful in dating.
Old Dec 15, '12, 6:19 am

Just taking this to a total extreme here...

If you marry this person, thinking he is a woman, and go through with the wedding night thinking he is a woman (and there has been surgery so it wasn't "obvious")....then I don't see how you could possibly be sinning. However, as soon as you found out differently, you would be responsible for no longer having sex with this person (and I would think pursuing a decree of nullity too, if somehow this person was able to fool the Church into permitting the wedding in the first place).

Now, if you knew a person suffered from this problem, but they were the opposite sex from you (e.g. you are a man and this person is a woman), I don't know if that alone could prevent a valid marriage from occurring. Some people who have same sex attraction are able to contract valid marriages with opposite sex spouses and be very happy. Other people are not.

(Based on the OP's situation, though, no, I can't see how that would be anything but sinful.)
Old Dec 15, '12, 10:33 am
Book Club Member

I did a thread on this recently on another Forum. I'd like you Catholics to check out my understanding of Catholic theology on this. This is my thinking on how it possibly could NOT be a sin to have sex with a transgendered individual.

1. All sex outside of marriage is sinful. Therefore, for this to occur and NOT be a sin would require that the couple be married.

2. In order for the marriage to occur, in a Catholic church one of the parties would have to have been deceptive to the church, possibly invalidating the marriage. Not sure, but I think so. Then there are complications about lying to the Church and invalid sacrament of marriage. Big oops and confession time. Invalid marriage. See #1.

3. If a couple became Catholic and were married in a Christian ceremony and one was transgendered, I think that is a headache. I think the resolution is they never were married, being same sex. If not married, see #1. I am not sure what the Church would do if the couple had adopted children. Perhaps they would live as brothers. Brother and sister. Sister and sister. Hmmm. I have heard that some post-surgical transgenders who cannot return to their original gender presentation have been told by priests to stay in their 'new' gender. But you hear all sorts of things about what priests supposedly say.

4. If the couple were married outside a Christian ceremony, their marriage is not recognized by the Catholic Church. See #1.

The official position of the Church is that a transgendered individual has severe psychological problems. I gather those problems are severe enough to preclude marriage, and same sex marriage is a non-starter.

Thus, I cannot see a situation in which a transgendered individual can acceptably have sex as a Catholic.

I am not sure that the Catholic Church has moved past declaring transgenderism a psychological condition and determined an effective treatment. There is research indicating it is physiologically based (such research may be politically tainted, but that is another story). The transgender community maintains that transitioning to the desired gender is effective treatment in the vast majority of cases (they would, at a minimum for self-justification). I have not seen this addressed by the Church.
Old Dec 16, '12, 5:01 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthstalker View Post
I did a thread on this recently on another Forum. I'd like you Catholics to check out my understanding of Catholic theology on this. This is my thinking on how it possibly could NOT be a sin to have sex with a transgendered individual.

1. All sex outside of marriage is sinful. Therefore, for this to occur and NOT be a sin would require that the couple be married.

2. In order for the marriage to occur, in a Catholic church one of the parties would have to have been deceptive to the church, possibly invalidating the marriage. Not sure, but I think so. Then there are complications about lying to the Church and invalid sacrament of marriage. Big oops and confession time. Invalid marriage. See #1.

3. If a couple became Catholic and were married in a Christian ceremony and one was transgendered, I think that is a headache. I think the resolution is they never were married, being same sex. If not married, see #1. I am not sure what the Church would do if the couple had adopted children. Perhaps they would live as brothers. Brother and sister. Sister and sister. Hmmm. I have heard that some post-surgical transgenders who cannot return to their original gender presentation have been told by priests to stay in their 'new' gender. But you hear all sorts of things about what priests supposedly say.

4. If the couple were married outside a Christian ceremony, their marriage is not recognized by the Catholic Church. See #1.

The official position of the Church is that a transgendered individual has severe psychological problems. I gather those problems are severe enough to preclude marriage, and same sex marriage is a non-starter.

Thus, I cannot see a situation in which a transgendered individual can acceptably have sex as a Catholic.

I am not sure that the Catholic Church has moved past declaring transgenderism a psychological condition and determined an effective treatment. There is research indicating it is physiologically based (such research may be politically tainted, but that is another story). The transgender community maintains that transitioning to the desired gender is effective treatment in the vast majority of cases (they would, at a minimum for self-justification). I have not seen this addressed by the Church.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/transsexu15.htm

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology