Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 18, '12, 3:02 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Angry Protestant (Evangelical) prayer

I am Catholic , my boyfriend is Protestant and we are planning to get married next year. He agreed to have our wedding service in the Catholic church. But asked me if his Protestant pastor could officiate at our engagement which I agreed to.

The pastor wanted to meet us before the engagement and I was told he wanted to talk us about relationships, God, etc. so I agreed to go. When we went there yesterday he kept pushing me asking if i had received Jesus Christ as my saviour and that God wanted me to get water baptism and if I would do it. I replied said that I was strong in my Catholic faith and Jesus lived in me and I was secure in my faith, and that I had no need to get water baptised as I had already been baptised. The pastor mentioned that he wanted to pray with us - and I told him I had no issues with having a prayer.

Once he started the prayer - he asked me to repeat after him. I listened closely to what he said and the entire prayer was about asking Jesus for forgiveness and inviting him into my life. I had no issue saying it as I already have Jesus in my life. However, after the prayer I realised what he had prayed was his church's prayer of salvation which is what they get people to pray when joining their church. I reflected back on every line in the prayer and at no point did it mention anything about renouncing or forsaking my current beliefs. So I thought what I did was ok - as from my point of view I was ok to ask Jesus for forgiveness. However from their point of view I have prayed their prayer and have kind of agreed . Ever since I realised this I have been feeling a severe guilt and am feeling so down and depressed.

Would love to get your thoughts on this and if what I did was wrong, and what can I do now. Im so confused, hurt and upset.
Old Dec 18, '12, 4:14 am

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)
Default Re: Protestant prayer

I don't think you did anything wrong, since, as you said, you prayed the prayer with the idea of asking Jesus for continued mercy, etc. Even if the pastor had the intention of getting you to say the "sinner's prayer" and thereby converting to Protestantism on the spot, that clearly wasn't your intention.

I think the issue here may be the theological difference between Catholics and many Protestant denominations regarding justification. For many Protestants, if you say the sinner's prayer, you're good to go, can't lose your salvation, etc. For Catholics, while we believe that there is a point of initial justification that puts us into a right relationship with God, it is right for us to continually ask for help and God's mercy, since we are a work in progress. So, while the pastor may have had the intention of converting you by having you say the once-and-for-all confession of (Protestant) faith in the form of the sinner's prayer, you had the intention of merely asking for continued mercy from God.

That being said, since the pastor is having you pray the prayer with the idea that doing so will make you part of his church, and since you're now aware of this, I would say not to pray this particular prayer with him in the future.
Old Dec 18, '12, 4:37 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Are you now concerned about him officiating at your wedding?

I would arrange to speak with your Catholic Parish Priest and explain what happend and how you are feeling and ask him for help and advice to what to do about the service and future times. Inform the priest you felt cornered into the prayer by the Pastor. Simply ask the priest for help and he will listen and guide you.

You did nothing wrong but you want to make sure it not repeated at the wedding in some way. Does your partner know what happened? Ask your priest for advice on this
Old Dec 18, '12, 4:46 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic n Catholic (pie is a convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused_8888 View Post
I am Catholic , my boyfriend is Protestant and we are planning to get married next year. He agreed to have our wedding service in the Catholic church. But asked me if his Protestant pastor could officiate at our engagement which I agreed to.

The pastor wanted to meet us before the engagement and I was told he wanted to talk us about relationships, God, etc. so I agreed to go. When we went there yesterday he kept pushing me asking if i had received Jesus Christ as my saviour and that God wanted me to get water baptism and if I would do it. I replied said that I was strong in my Catholic faith and Jesus lived in me and I was secure in my faith, and that I had no need to get water baptised as I had already been baptised. The pastor mentioned that he wanted to pray with us - and I told him I had no issues with having a prayer.

Once he started the prayer - he asked me to repeat after him. I listened closely to what he said and the entire prayer was about asking Jesus for forgiveness and inviting him into my life. I had no issue saying it as I already have Jesus in my life. However, after the prayer I realised what he had prayed was his church's prayer of salvation which is what they get people to pray when joining their church. I reflected back on every line in the prayer and at no point did it mention anything about renouncing or forsaking my current beliefs. So I thought what I did was ok - as from my point of view I was ok to ask Jesus for forgiveness. However from their point of view I have prayed their prayer and have kind of agreed . Ever since I realised this I have been feeling a severe guilt and am feeling so down and depressed.

Would love to get your thoughts on this and if what I did was wrong, and what can I do now. Im so confused, hurt and upset.
I'm probably out of touch. The pastor was with you when your husband proposed? The pastor was deceptive. Once saved, always saved, does he not believe in following the commandment not to lie? Do you believe your boyfriend was knowledgable of this deception ahead of time or while it was occurring?

You did nothing wrong. Hopefully you used this as an opportunity to discuss your faith in detail with your boyfriend. He should be willing to attend RCIA with you....and this should be done before you get married. Regardless of his decision to join the church or not, this can only help your relationship on a what is the most important point in our lives, faith in God.
Old Dec 18, '12, 4:59 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite

You asked Jesus for mercy, salvation, and asked him to come into your life! that is great!

I just hope the Pastor didn't have deception in his heart, and also not your fiance!

...And so I take my sister E_7 NOT for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart. Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.
Old Dec 18, '12, 5:03 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

First, I think you need to correct the title from "Protestant prayer" to "Evangelical prayer", which is actually what it is.
I think you should ask your boyfriend about whether he had spoken to the pastor beforehand about you being Catholic.
As a former Baptist pastor I can tell you pastors like this are normally prepared for your visit with the full intention of getting you to say the "sinner's prayer".
Old Dec 18, '12, 6:11 am

The problem you have is not the Protestant pastor, it is contemplating marriage outside the faith without evaluating the negatives. How many more confrontations/arguments are there going to be about faith? What faith will your children be raised in? Are you two going to compromise by practicing no faith at all?
Old Dec 18, '12, 6:29 am

Religion: Church of England

What this minister did was totally inappropriate and wrong. He is trying to get you to change your religious faith. You really need to tell your boyfriend that anti-Roman Catholic ministers cannot be a part of yo7r marriage service.
Old Dec 18, '12, 7:10 am

Quote:
Once he started the prayer - he asked me to repeat after him. I listened closely to what he said and the entire prayer was about asking Jesus for forgiveness and inviting him into my life. I had no issue saying it as I already have Jesus in my life. However, after the prayer I realised what he had prayed was his church's prayer of salvation which is what they get people to pray when joining their church.
As long as you know what your intention was you don't have to worry about it. Make it clear to the minister and to your fiancee that you are still a Catholic and will always be one. Also, what you experienced is a big red flag in your relationship. I would recommend against marriage since this high pressure attempt to persuade you to leave the Catholic faith is probably only the beginning of what you will have to endure in marriage. I learned this lesson the hard way.
Old Dec 18, '12, 7:40 am

Religion: Practising Catholic
Post Re: Protestant prayer

Dear,what u did was not totally wrong but this should be an opportunity for we catholics not to be intimidated by so called protestant Pastors and imbibe the sign of the cross before any kind of prayer because that will make it official prayer of the church{i.e invoking God the father,son and the Holy Spirit}and u will be secured.........dear sister,don't push yourself so hard but do not allow this to jeopardise ur wedding,what u paramountly need now is ur priest to advise and guide u because it involve now your conscious mind and psychology..............may the heavenly father grant you His divine providence............PAX CHRISTI+
Old Dec 18, '12, 7:46 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulfromIowa View Post
The problem you have is not the Protestant pastor, it is contemplating marriage outside the faith without evaluating the negatives. How many more confrontations/arguments are there going to be about faith? What faith will your children be raised in? Are you two going to compromise by practicing no faith at all?
Big +1

I'm interested in knowing what you meant by your BF's request for his pastor "officiating at your engagement"? My engagement was a pretty private affair between my wife and I - when I proposed. I certainly didn't want any third-party at my engagement unless you are talking about an after-the-fact engagement party.
Old Dec 18, '12, 8:13 am

Quote:

First, you did ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong, in praying 'the sinner's prayer'. All you did, was extend an invitation to Jesus to come into your heart, and prayed for forgiveness. What could possibly be wrong with that???

Second, you intend to marry a protestant. I am married to a pro. I strongly suggest that you cozy up to that idea before following through with it--or don't go through with it at all. That means that you should start, by learning everything you can, about protestantism. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Do NOT rely exclusively on your BF or his family to tell you what they believe it to be. As good as their intentions may be, what they tell you will inevitably come 'filtered'. So you must educate yourself on the bases of your BF's beliefs. Heck, you intend to MARRY him--for Life! You'd better know what he stands for...

Third, there are MANY flavors of protestantism--especially focus on learning your BF's 'flavor'.

Fourth, most pro's are basically 'incomplete' Christians--the CCC refers to them as our 'seperated brethren', making a reference to this incompletelness. They know their Bibles, and the Gospels--but are usually painfully ignorant about the history of Christianity, between the age of the Apostles, and the deformation--'er, 'reformation. As such (i.e.--incomplete)--what you did in praying the 'sinner's prayer'--is perfectly within the scope of Catholicism. The flaw comes in its incompleteness, and lack of finality--not that you did anything contrary to Catholicism, or out of bounds. IOW, there's notihng wrong with asking Jesus into your heart and praying to Jesus for forgiveness--but it is not final or complete in and of itself, and does nothing to supplant the need and/or efficacy of the Sacraments.

Finally (and I'm just arbitrarily cutting off here due to time)--definitely finalize where y'all stand with regards to one anothers' faith, especially re. the Children. For me and my wife, I laid it out quite plainly---I will respect your beleifs...but the children will be raised Cat. That was a deal breaker. As I saw it, it would be irreconcilably hypocritical of me to maintain my belief in the Cat. Churhc...and not let my children be part of it. It certainly helped matters that the CCC expressly contemplated and approved of my particular situation (i.e.--ok to marry outside the Cat. Faith, as long as kids are Cat.

Of course, I must cavaet that this is but my humble take, not authoratative--albeit, also the result of going through my parish priest, and obtaining approval from the parish pastor.

VIVAT JESUS!
Old Dec 18, '12, 8:19 am

^^^just to further the point of you not doing anything wrong--

It's not like you prayed to a bunch of 'gods', or the 'spaghetti monster' (or whatever that make believe mocker of faith is called), or to Satan, or some wiccan spell...you prayed to Jesus--you're fine.

Also, you did nothing to renounce your Cat. Faith, nor to renounce the Church, nor even to recognize another entity as equal or as a substitue to the Church. Again, all you did, was pray to Jesus.

VIVAT JESUS!
Old Dec 18, '12, 8:20 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRM View Post
Big +1

I'm interested in knowing what you meant by your BF's request for his pastor "officiating at your engagement"? My engagement was a pretty private affair between my wife and I - when I proposed. I certainly didn't want any third-party at my engagement unless you are talking about an after-the-fact engagement party.
That's a red flag right there. I never heard of anything like that even when I was fundamentalist.
Many times these preachers count on the ignorance of the people they are evangelizing.
Old Dec 18, '12, 8:36 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

Believe me, you haven't done anything wrong. Prayer is a good thing, and even praying the "Sinner's Prayer" is fine. I'm assuming you made the sign of the cross to start the prayer. Not that you need to, but even by doing that you've witnessed to your fiancee's pastor. You're strong in your faith and you trust Christ, and He understands this. Don't be afraid. What you can do now is continue to pray for his pastor, and whenever you meet him again, smile and be encouraged in witnessing to him.

I'll be praying for you at this time, okay?
"Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others" (1 Cor. 10:24)

"To defend his purity, Saint Francis of Assisi rolled in the snow, Saint Benedict threw himself into a thornbush, Saint Bernard plunged into an icy pond... You...what have you done?"
- St. Josemaria Escriva

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics