Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 22, '12, 12:19 am

Religion: Catholic
Default What is the difference between Anglo-catholic and Roman catholic?

I grew up in a Roman catholic parish where my parents and brothers and sisters are very involved in the church (6 are St Stephen's guild servers, Mum, Dad and big bro are in the legion of Mary) I'd never heard of an Anglo-catholic church until recently, I dont like the RC church here for a few reasons so have been travelling the 20 miles home for church for nearly 6 years, however the local Anglo-catholic church are very welcoming and i just want to know the difference
Old Dec 22, '12, 12:29 am

Default Re: What is the difference between Anglo-catholic and Roman catholic?

by the way, sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasnt sure where to put it
Old Dec 22, '12, 1:02 am
Prayer Warrior

It is probable that by "Anglo-Catholics" they mean "Anglicans". They aren't Catholics as you and I are, so I suggest you to avoid them.

Lets just say that they dont believe exactly what we do. And maybe someone here may help you answering the 20 mile problem you have.

The Rosary
El Rosario

Old Dec 22, '12, 1:39 am

Religion: Critical-Thinking Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to TarkanAttila

Quote:
Originally Posted by xihha View Post
I grew up in a Roman catholic parish where my parents and brothers and sisters are very involved in the church (6 are St Stephen's guild servers, Mum, Dad and big bro are in the legion of Mary) I'd never heard of an Anglo-catholic church until recently, I dont like the RC church here for a few reasons so have been travelling the 20 miles home for church for nearly 6 years, however the local Anglo-catholic church are very welcoming and i just want to know the difference
I'm glad you feel welcome at the Anglo-Catholic parish, but unfortunately, comforting though they may be, they lack something your Roman Catholic parishes do have: Jesus's real presence. When the Anglican priest takes up the bread and wine, it remains bread and wine. When the Catholic priest takes them up, Christ's flesh and blood become manifest to us right there on the altar, like it or not.

If you wish to worship Christ, he's in our churches, and sadly not the Anglo-Catholic's. At least, not in the same way. Their bread feeds and nourishes. But the Catholic body and blood gives new life.
- Gerard Manley Hopkins
Old Dec 22, '12, 3:12 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Anglo-Catholics are Anglicans which, by the beliefs and practices, affirm the Catholic heritage of the churches, rather than the Protestant heritage; however, they are not in communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

Emma - My Bible Story
[/center]
Old Dec 22, '12, 6:29 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic

The Anglo "catholic " Church was a Protestant church formed in the 16th century by king Henry, because he denied the Popes request for not allowing him to divorce his wife. He went and tried to reform Catholicism in England, and named the church of England the " Anglo catholic Church". So as you can see here, the Anglican Church is man made, the Catholic Church has been here for 2000 years.

Can you please state your reasons why you no longer like the Roman Catholic Church? Maybe you shall begin investigating the Eastern Catholic Churches, who are in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

God Bless You
Old Dec 22, '12, 11:05 pm

Try Anglican Ordinariate parishes
Old Dec 23, '12, 2:39 pm
Banned

The terms Anglo-Catholic, Anglican Catholic and Catholic Anglican describe people, beliefs and practices within Anglicanism which affirm the Catholic heritage and identity of the various Anglican churches, rather than the churches' Protestant heritage.

The term "Anglo-Catholic" was coined in the early 19th century; but, movements emphasising the Catholic nature of Anglicanism have existed throughout history. Particularly influential in the history of Anglo-Catholicism were the Caroline Divines of the seventeenth century and, later, the leaders of the Oxford Movement, which began at the University of Oxford in 1833 and ushered in a period of Anglican history known as the "Catholic Revival".

In addition, members of the personal ordinariates for former Anglicans in the Roman Catholic Church are also sometimes referred to as "Anglican Catholics".

Old Dec 23, '12, 2:58 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
however the local Anglo-catholic church are very welcoming and i just want to know the difference
Well, the Anglo-Catholic liturgy is in English and the Latin Rite liturgy is in Latin. Oh wait....

Old Dec 23, '12, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Anglo-Catholic = Anglican

Anglican-Use or Anglican Ordinariate = Catholic
Old Dec 24, '12, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkanAttila View Post
I'm glad you feel welcome at the Anglo-Catholic parish, but unfortunately, comforting though they may be, they lack something your Roman Catholic parishes do have: Jesus's real presence. When the Anglican priest takes up the bread and wine, it remains bread and wine. When the Catholic priest takes them up, Christ's flesh and blood become manifest to us right there on the altar, like it or not.

If you wish to worship Christ, he's in our churches, and sadly not the Anglo-Catholic's. At least, not in the same way. Their bread feeds and nourishes. But the Catholic body and blood gives new life.

How & why does this change once the Pope accepts a Anglican Congregation into full communion?
"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners." Mark 2:17
Old Dec 24, '12, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbk View Post

How & why does this change once the Pope accepts a Anglican Congregation into full communion?
Those Anglican ministers that become priests are ordained by a Catholic Bishop once accepted.
Old Dec 24, '12, 6:32 pm

Religion: Critical-Thinking Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to TarkanAttila

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbk View Post

Because no Anglican priest is invalidly ordained (because they ordain women, and because they don't emphasise the Sacrifice of the Mass, as we do, I think). If he chooses to enter the Church as a priest, he must be properly ordained as a priest by a bishop.
- Gerard Manley Hopkins
Old Dec 24, '12, 7:43 pm

Yeah. Ok.
You guys are so smart.
They are still married. They still carry on with their Anglican ways. It's a hoax.
Rome has no clue what to do right now.
I am a devout Roman Catholic. I love my Protestant friends. But the Pope has no clue what he is doing in regards to the Anglicans he has been taking into Communion.
It's a "kiss the ring" money issue. You can't tell me this Anglican Parish is more Catholic than that Anglican Parish. It's Political.
"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners." Mark 2:17
Old Dec 24, '12, 7:48 pm
Banned

A personal ordinariate is a canonical structure within the Roman Catholic Church enabling former Anglicans to maintain some degree of corporate identity and autonomy with regard to the bishops of the geographical dioceses of the Catholic Church and to preserve elements of their distinctive Anglican spiritual and liturgical patrimony. Its precise nature is described in the apostolic constitution Anglicanorum Coetibus of 4 November 2009 and in the complementary norms of the same date.

The new structure, which is intended to integrate these groups into the life of the Roman Catholic Church in such a way as "to maintain the liturgical, spiritual and pastoral traditions of the Anglican Communion within the Catholic Church, as a precious gift nourishing the faith of the members of the Ordinariate and as a treasure to be shared", is part of the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church under the leadership of the Pope and professes all that Church's doctrine on faith and morals.

Anglicans who join the Roman Catholic Church can still choose to be part of the usual dioceses rather than of an ordinariate. Those who do so, or who joined before the Ordinariates were erected, can subsequently join an ordinariate if they wish to do so.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism