Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 23, '12, 4:49 am

Religion: Agnostic atheist
Default What do Catholics think of 'Father Ted'?

This isn't really 'popular media' since it's from the 1990s, but what do Catholics think of 'Father Ted'? If you don't what what it is, it's a British show about three Catholic priests living on an isolated Irish island - Father Ted Crilly, Father Dougal McGuire and Father Jack Hackett. Essential, Father Jack is an alcoholic pervert who is constantly intoxicated, and is only able to shout a few words in no coherent order, Father Dougal McGuire is an idiot, and Father Jack Hackett, the main character, is burdened with the people he's forced to live with.

Here's some clips for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_LsmwazYbg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP0NkL-QfvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvwNR3vF44

It's actually really important that I get an answer, so please could you provide me with your opinions? Thank you.
Old Dec 23, '12, 6:11 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: What do Catholics think of 'Father Ted'?

Father Ted isn't Britsh, it's Irish. I love it. It was voted here as the funniest sitcom ever. It doesn't make fun of God or Catholicism only of the very Irish foibles of it's characters. I'm half Irish and in no way did it ever offend me.
"Careful, now."

Pax et Bomum.
Old Dec 23, '12, 6:30 am
Greeter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Atheist View Post
This isn't really 'popular media' since it's from the 1990s, but what do Catholics think of 'Father Ted'? If you don't what what it is, it's a British show about three Catholic priests living on an isolated Irish island - Father Ted Crilly, Father Dougal McGuire and Father Jack Hackett. Essential, Father Jack is an alcoholic pervert who is constantly intoxicated, and is only able to shout a few words in no coherent order, Father Dougal McGuire is an idiot, and Father Jack Hackett, the main character, is burdened with the people he's forced to live with.

It's actually really important that I get an answer, so please could you provide me with your opinions? Thank you.
At least none of the characters are actual priests.
i used to love it, then thought it was blasphemous, now i kinda like it.
i do wonder if some, who watch the show, actually think this is what Catholic priests are like.
Old Dec 23, '12, 8:43 am
Book Club Member

I loved it, I was an atheist when I first saw it, but became Catholic by the time of the third season so make of that what you will.

I loved the running joke of Fr Ted phoning his friend Fr Larry Duff at the most inopportune moments and causing him to have accidents.

Also Fr Noel Furlong, the trendy priest who's always hanging around with a group of young people who clearly can't stand him!

The Legion of Mary group is now open.
Please join us.
Old Dec 23, '12, 9:29 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I think it's really funny. Some of the characters are borderline offensive I suppose, but some like Mrs. Doyle, who is always pushing tea, are hysterical.
Old Dec 23, '12, 10:04 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Atheist View Post

Just a point of correct, Father Ted is an Irish and British coproduction, not a purely British one. It is funny if you take it as tongue in cheek and black comedy rather than an attempt to be literal about the day to day reality of been a clergyman in Ireland.
Old Dec 23, '12, 11:19 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Just a point of correct, Father Ted is an Irish and British coproduction, not a purely British one. It is funny if you take it as tongue in cheek and black comedy rather than an attempt to be literal about the day to day reality of been a clergyman in Ireland.
I agree. Although I can't imagine anyone taking this show "literally". I suppose some might, though.
Old Dec 24, '12, 6:27 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Okay, picture this:

Eight priests "lost" in "Ireland's largest lingerie section" of a department store.

This is why I love British comedy, American sitcoms just can't come even close to that kind of genus.
Old Dec 24, '12, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaServant View Post
Okay, picture this:

Eight priests "lost" in "Ireland's largest lingerie section" of a department store.

This is why I love British comedy, American sitcoms just can't come even close to that kind of genus.
And one of them starts messing around with one of the bras on the racks and it hits him in the face.
Old Dec 24, '12, 1:21 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred_words View Post
And one of them starts messing around with one of the bras on the racks and it hits him in the face.
Ahhh, a fellow Craggy Islander.
That is actually the Christmas episode, which my wife and I watched last night.
Old Dec 24, '12, 2:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (revert!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintlucy View Post
Father Ted isn't Britsh, it's Irish. I love it. It was voted here as the funniest sitcom ever. It doesn't make fun of God or Catholicism only of the very Irish foibles of it's characters. I'm half Irish and in no way did it ever offend me.
"Careful, now."
Uh, it uses incredibly nasty stereotypes of Irish and Catholicism BOTH--not ONCE could I find anything in it that didn't make the Faith into something too silly to be believed by "right thinking people"--There is such a case as being to close to the forest to see the tree

Keep in mind it was created by "recovering" (e.g. alienated and vengeful) catholics--the same way The Simpsons treats Christianity but is respectful of Buddhism
Old Dec 24, '12, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred_words View Post
I was JUST watching this one yesterday! It was actually the first episode I'd ever seen.

edit: wow guess I wasn't the only one
Old Dec 24, '12, 9:27 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Some of it is very funny - like the all-priest talent quest where Frs Dougal, Ted and Jack (who are respectively young, middle-aged and elderly) perform the three ages of Elvis - ie his youth, prime and later years.

Some is just awful - like the married couple who are extremely verbally and physically abusive to each other when Fr Ted is not around, but pretend everything is fine in his presence. Not even slightly entertaining in any way shape or form.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Dec 25, '12, 7:57 pm

Heh, the Father Ted Christmas episode has become a Christmas Eve tradition in my house. We have an early dinner, go to Vigil Mass, then return home for dessert, coffee, and Father Ted.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media