Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 29, '12, 1:55 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default "Lord of Hosts": What does it mean?

Hey everyone. I have heard this title before of the Lord which is "Lord of Hosts". What does it mean? Is it a reference to the angelic host of Heaven?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Dec 29, '12, 2:01 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: "Lord of Hosts": What does it mean?

It is the translation of the Hebrew "Tzva'ot", which we normally transliterate to Sabbaoth.

According to this: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...aism/name.html

Another significant Name of God is YHVH Tzva'ot. This Name is normally translated as "Lord of Hosts." The word "tzva'ot" means "hosts" in the sense of a military grouping or an organized array. The Name refers to God's leadership and sovereignty. Interestingly, this Name is rarely used in scripture. It never appears in the Torah(i.e., the first five books). It appears primarily in the prophetic books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi, as well as many times in the Psalms.
Old Dec 29, '12, 2:11 am

Religion: Buddhist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Hey everyone. I have heard this title before of the Lord which is "Lord of Hosts". What does it mean? Is it a reference to the angelic host of Heaven?
Yahweh started as a war god, "Lord of Hosts" means "Lord of Armies".

rossum
Old Dec 29, '12, 2:21 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

The Catholic Encyclopedia proposes as the meaning either the armies of Israel, the angels, or by metaphor the stars and the universe. It is noted that the title does not occur in the Pentateuch or the Book of Joshua where the armies are often mentioned.
Old Dec 29, '12, 2:22 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Thanks everyone!

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Dec 29, '12, 6:18 am

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
It is the translation of the Hebrew "Tzva'ot", which we normally transliterate to Sabbaoth.

According to this: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...aism/name.html

Another significant Name of God is YHVH Tzva'ot. This Name is normally translated as "Lord of Hosts." The word "tzva'ot" means "hosts" in the sense of a military grouping or an organized array. The Name refers to God's leadership and sovereignty. Interestingly, this Name is rarely used in scripture. It never appears in the Torah(i.e., the first five books). It appears primarily in the prophetic books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi, as well as many times in the Psalms.
I counted 220 occurences. That's "rarely?"
Old Dec 29, '12, 7:06 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
I counted 220 occurences. That's "rarely?"
Note that what I quoted from is a Jewish source, not Christian. I don't know what the Jewish canon is today. Though "rarely" could mean the number of books it was mentioned, instead of how many times it is mentioned throughout the canon.
Old Dec 29, '12, 8:20 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I thought it basically means Lord of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossum View Post

rossum
Where did you come up with this? It sounds like you are just trying to imply something negative.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph We LOVE You, Save Souls!
Old Dec 29, '12, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontrak View Post
I thought it basically means Lord of everything.

Where did you come up with this? It sounds like you are just trying to imply something negative.
I think he means the Yahweh of the Canaanite Religion, who was a war god. I'm not sure if he's the same as our God though.
Old Dec 29, '12, 11:08 am

We notice that it is usually the plural which we are defining : "hosts".

I remember asking my dad years ago what the singular "host" would mean in that same sense - armies of God. He replied that (non metaphorically) it would imply any creature with a will and an intellect.

When we refer to a "host" today, outside the expression "Lord of Hosts" or "Lord God of Hosts" , Fr. John Hardon S.J. says it can also imply a victim of sacrifice :

Quote:
HOST.
A victim of sacrifice, and therefore the consecrated Bread of the Eucharist considered as the sacrifice of the Body of Christ. The word is also used of the round wafers used for consecration. (Etym. Latin hostia, sacrificial offering.)
" ... you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man…This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God"…-St. Anthony the Great
Old Dec 29, '12, 11:16 am

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedImprovement View Post
We notice that it is usually the plural which we are defining : "hosts".

I remember asking my dad years ago what the singular "host" would mean in that same sense - armies of God. He replied that (non metaphorically) it would imply any creature with a will and an intellect.

When we refer to a "host" today, outside the expression "Lord of Hosts" or "Lord God of Hosts" , Fr. John Hardon S.J. says it can also imply a victim of sacrifice :

Those are two completely different words, just as "ball" (something you throw) and "ball" (a fancy dance party) are two completely different words. "Host" in the sense of a bunch of soldiers comes from the Latin "hostis" = "enemy." The Communion "host" comes from the Latin "hostia" = "victim." The "hosts" that JHWH is Lord of are not victims, by any means.
Old Dec 29, '12, 2:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Eastern Catholic

The original sense is "God of the Battalions/Armies of Israel" or "God of Israel's Chivalry (Armed Forces, modern language)", -- the ethereal, angelic meaning is not contradictory, but historically clearly secondary and derivative.

Modern liberal-humanist cognitive dissonance is implicitly inflamed by the matter, however, and straight talk about the subject you shall rarely encounter...

Cf. the meaning of Exodus 17:15-16: -- Yahweh-Nissi! No possible translation exists except: "The Lord YHWH is my War-Banner!"

Cf. El Shaddai...root Semitic, shadad...signifying "to destroy", "to overthrow"...
Old Dec 30, '12, 5:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
Those are two completely different words, just as "ball" (something you throw) and "ball" (a fancy dance party) are two completely different words. "Host" in the sense of a bunch of soldiers comes from the Latin "hostis" = "enemy." The Communion "host" comes from the Latin "hostia" = "victim." The "hosts" that JHWH is Lord of are not victims, by any means.
I thought I made the difference between the two clear enough with this wording :

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedImprovement View Post
When we refer to a "host" today, outside the expression "Lord of Hosts" or "Lord God of Hosts" , Fr. John Hardon S.J. says it can also imply a victim of sacrifice : . . .
Perhaps it still wasn't clear enough for some . Certainly, following your post ,it will be.

The reasoning wasn't questioning the etymological, but rather a consideration of contemporary usage : My entire purpose for mentioning it was that the OP's question could've easily led some members to further wonder about the consecrated Host at the Mass - given that during the celebration of every Holy Sacrifice of the Mass we conjointly pray "Lord God of hosts" , during the sanctus now .

" ... you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man…This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God"…-St. Anthony the Great
Old Dec 31, '12, 2:07 pm

Religion: Prodigal Catholic
Smile Re: "Lord of Hosts": What does it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossum View Post

rossum
Interesting insight, Rossum. I'm curious about Buddhism. Do Buddhists see the struggle between good and evil as a kind of war--or are good and evil seen as something other than having a conflict?

"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains—however improbable—must be the truth."
—Spock
Old Dec 31, '12, 5:02 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Now, I am confused. So does it mean something in the sense of a war god or does it mean something else?

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics