Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 8, '05, 6:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Fasting on bread and water question

If I'm fasting on bread and water for one day how much bread shoul I be eating at one meal?
I eat two each for breakfast, lunch, supper and snack, this is white bread with butter, is this too much, not enough?
Old Sep 8, '05, 6:52 pm

Default Re: Fasting on bread and water question

I can't say I'm a fasting expert, seeing as I would get a stern lecture from my doctor if I lost half a pound. But I'll give what I can.

The point of fasting is to make a sacrifice that is pleasing to God. I don't think strict regulations are important. The "God, I know I have nothing to give you, but I'm gonna do this for you" attitude is what it's about.

Just don't starve yourself. Remember that you also have a responsibility to take care of the body God's letting you use while you're here.

Here's something that just popped into my head. I think there's a connection somewhere but I'm not going to be able to find it. If someone else can, that's wonderful. "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."
Old Sep 9, '05, 10:25 am

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Thomas More

1. Be very careful with serious fasting! Make sure it's ok with you doctor *and* with a spiritual director. Someone should be guiding you to make sure you don't undergo penances that will harm you spiritually because they are too legalistic or too harsh--we can all fall this way.

2. If you are going on bread and water, I'd really suggest whole grain bread. Just because it will provide you with better nutrition.

3. If you ever get hungry and are not sure if you need to eat more or not, just eat more. Don't risk your health, that is not what God wants.

God bless you!
Old Sep 9, '05, 10:47 am
Book Club Member

The purpose of fasting is to mortify the appetites, not to compromise your health, so definitely take vitamin supplements, drink plenty of water, and even eat moderate amounts of nutritious foods, though not, perhaps, the particular foods you most enjoy.
Old Sep 9, '05, 11:47 am

Religion: Catholic

Hi,

Some thoughts from my experiences this lent, and also from today(coincidence) on fasting.

1. It is amazing, when it works, totally reorientates you to God, helps you conquer many sins!

2. Somedays I would fast till I could barely do anything but go to bed-this was foolish-and I believe that JP II has even said somewhere, that we should fast to the point where, we are still able to do daily work-after all that is why God put us here. So dont starve yourself till a specific time, and then eat, its better to break that fast with a small amount of food and then continue on.

3. you must PRAY. Fasting without prayer is just dieting. and not spiritually beneficial. IN my opinion whilst fasting, it is a good time to engage in devotional prayer- stations of cross, rosary, bible reading. I read last night that when fasting Jews read Exodus32 Golden calf episode and how they violated their covanent, and then into Ex 34 when the cocvanent is renewed. I thought that was cool, but I would suggest mediating on the Passion of the Lord, whist fasting.

4. I found that spiritual pride can sneek in, when one fasts regularly. Like as if I fast, so I am a better catholic than you coz you dont! This was crazy thinking! So humble yourself, and remember that the devil could let you fast away, make a perceived minor gain spiritually, only to end up worse spiritually than when you started. So be careful and pray that it is Gods will, that you are doing.

5. Remember "[Gods] power is made perfect in weakness" 2Cor12:8 ff, and "when I am weak, then I am strong"

6. one of the Church fathers said that if you want your prayers to fly to God, give them the wings of fasting and alms giving. Again fasting is not to be engaged in an isolated fashion, but use all 3 of these ways mentioned above for spiritual gain.

7. Remember, dont tell many people/anyone, according to the Lords advice in Matthew6:16ff. A friend of mine once said, that when you tell people, satan can use them to try t convince you to stop. To eat something, seemingly very concerned for you, but that makes it harder. In my opinion, this fasting is a journey that must be taken alone, just you and God, (and One spiritual director-if you have one)

8. Fasting is something which must be done right, no point pretending you making a sacrifice to God-if it is not really a sacrifice to you. remember-no pain no gain. It must be hard. Dont give in, just if you feel hungry. Stick it out, and the rewards and there to be collected.

the JOY of fasting awaits to be discovered again by the majority of the Church esp in the Western world.

sorry for rambling on and prob off topic slightly, but this may help someone.

in fraternal solidarity with you in your Fast and prayers.

M.

Give peace,O Lord, in our days;for there is no other to fight for us, but only you, our God
Old Sep 9, '05, 2:33 pm

Thanks some good points on here, I'll check them out and maybe try some different things.
Old Sep 9, '05, 3:14 pm

While you are beginning your fast it might be prudent to keep with you an energy drink or bar (red bull, etc.) in case you start getting weak. Don't fast to the point where you're hurting you body since that could be a sin against the fifth commandment.
Old Sep 9, '05, 9:11 pm

The fact that you are fasting on bread means you are giving up other things to eat. That doesn't mean you should be starving yourself. Eat enough bread at each "mealtime" to satisfy what your body needs to still be productive. If two pieces of bread does it, fine, but if you are getting weak or ornary, eat more.

Different kinds of breads can work well. Whole wheat bread, potato bread, bagels, etc., it doesn't have to be just white bread.

God Bless.
Old Sep 10, '05, 5:40 am

Religion: catholic

If you are really hungry while fasting try a small frequent eating of bread. If you fast you must pray. Fasting is not just about not eating but it is mo of a sacrifice and a prayer.

In principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum.....et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis

Sancte Francisce, ora pro nobis
Old Sep 10, '05, 9:42 am

Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktor aleksndr
If you are really hungry while fasting try a small frequent eating of bread. If you fast you must pray. Fasting is not just about not eating but it is mo of a sacrifice and a prayer.

Fasting, coupled with prayer is our best weapon against Satan. If you have trouble fasting, ask for God's grace to assist you.You will be amazed at the results!

The reason Catholics fast on bread & water is because Jesus said, "I am the bread of life". This relates fasting to the Eucharist.

I find fasting is best done on whole grain, stick to your ribs bread that is not full of artificial preservatives. If I am working that day, I may need to eat a little more than if I am just engaged in prayer at home. Otherwise, just don't eat until you are full.

Most healthy people can fast every Friday on bread & water, without risking their health, and belive me, if you have a family, it becomes a real sacrifice!

We must remember not to be like the Pharisees who let everyone know they were fasting. That negates the sacrifice.
Old Sep 13, '05, 7:23 pm
Prayer Warrior

Check out Jesse Romero's website under E5 men. He breaks down the Bread and Water Fasting there.
www.jesseromero.com
Old Sep 13, '05, 7:33 pm
Inactive Member

www.morphinenation.com

Very fun site
Old Sep 14, '05, 6:59 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Ah, my children. No normal, healthy person needs to worry that fasting for one day (even going completely without food) will do him a morsel of harm. If you have medical issues that is another matter altogether.

If you are doing more than one day a week on B&W, run it past a spiritual director. That is absolutely crucial.

One day on B&W? No biggie. I would not use butter because the point of B&W is penance, and butter is considered "luxury." I would calculate how many calories it takes to keep you at your normal healthy body weight and put just that much bread in a ziploc bag, taking only that for the day. If you're overweight, you might want to take half the calories your lowest normal healthy weight requires.
Old Sep 14, '05, 7:44 am

Great post blackfish!
Old Sep 16, '05, 7:02 am

Religion: catholic

I'm a healthy young man who tries to fast on bread and water once a week. Do I need a spiritual director's permission for this, as another poster suggested? I don't have one and it doesn't look as if in my area, where there are lots of Catholics but a limited number of priests, I'm going to be finding a spiritual director anytime soon.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality