Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 1, '13, 2:42 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default consecrate myself to Our Lady

Is it ok for me to consecrate myself to Our Lady? I assume I do this by just saying those words, "I consecrate myself to you Mary mother of Jesus" or something like that.

What does this do?

-EM
Do not model your behaviour on the contemporary world, but let the renewing of your minds transform you, so that you may discern for yourselves what is the will of God -- what is good and acceptable and mature.

Romans 11:2
Old Jan 1, '13, 2:51 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: consecrate myself to Our Lady

If you tell Mother Mary that you consecrate yourself to her, then you are making an act of consecration to her and have actually consecrated yourself to her. You could use De Montfort's or Kolbe's Act of Consecration prayers in making your consecration or in making your consecration renewals. They are beautiful consecration prayers. I think it is wonderful that you will be consecrating yourself to Mother Mary! Be sure to renew your consecration daily.
Old Jan 1, '13, 3:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Russian Orthodox
Send a message via Skype™ to ThatOrthodoxGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by endaman View Post
Is it ok for me to consecrate myself to Our Lady? I assume I do this by just saying those words, "I consecrate myself to you Mary mother of Jesus" or something like that.

What does this do?

-EM
There is a really good book by de Montfort called True Devotion To Mary. It's published by Tan publishing it has all the info on full consecration. The Catholic Answer store might have it
Old Jan 1, '13, 4:01 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic leaning East

This is something you should ask your priest.
Old Jan 1, '13, 4:08 pm

Mary can only lead to her Son. Like others have suggested I would go with either St. Louis de Montfort or St. Maximilian Kolbe. The link to all St. Louis de Montfort's writtings is in the my signature "God Alone"

Marian consecration is in line with the Catholic Church and many Popes have given their blessings and even indulgences for doing so.

God bless you on your journey and may Mary guide your steps striaght to God and union with him!

God Bless You!

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,
and with all your soul,
and with all your strength,
and with all your mind;
and your neighbor as yourself. And he said to him,
You have answered right; do this, and you will live."
(Luke 10:27-28)
Old Jan 1, '13, 6:17 pm
Prayer Warrior

If you're interested enough, the 33 day Total Consecration (montfort) is the way to go.

It explains everything. I did it this year. It's much more than just saying a prayer.

Good Luck. It was a wonderful experience for me.

"To be full of hope and joy, give of yourself to others. Know what you think of yourselves. Search for the meaning of your life." ~ Pope John Paul II
Old Jan 2, '13, 2:08 am
Prayer Warrior

Thank you these are great replies, I feel this is probably the right path for me but I have a few more questions. Why can I not consecrate myself directly to Jesus why does it have to be through Mary?

-EM
Do not model your behaviour on the contemporary world, but let the renewing of your minds transform you, so that you may discern for yourselves what is the will of God -- what is good and acceptable and mature.

Old Jan 2, '13, 4:37 pm
Prayer Warrior

I am adding another question to my last post. Can I be consecrated to both Mary and Jesus?

Thanks.
EM

Old Jan 2, '13, 10:15 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by endaman View Post
I am adding another question to my last post. Can I be consecrated to both Mary and Jesus?

Thanks.
EM
"Christ is the sole reason for my salvation and hope."

Mary would say the same basic thing, "Christ is the sole reason for my salvation and hope."
And she said this in the Magnificat to Elizabeth.

The Catechism says in 970, "Mary's function as mother of men, in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power."

How does it show its power? We see it in the story of Cana. Who did the asking? And by whose power was the miracle performed?

But the best answer is she is closest to the source of power, her son. Being his mother, Jesus,
because of his love for her, wishes to give her all that she wants.
But being our mother also, she wishes us to be with her in heaven, all her children.

Therefore:
"Mary's function as mother of men, in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power." CC970

She is a truely concerned mother for all of her children, brothers/sisters to her son, and being next to her son is in the best position to plead for us. Cana again.

That is why when we say she is the "highest" in heaven, we recognize that she is in a prime position to do us the most good, and that Jesus has done us the greatest favor by placing her there where she may observe and ask graces for her new children.

We know that God looks favorably on a holy person and what they ask for. Because the word "holy" means close to God, the most godlike, filled with grace. Mary is this holy person. I think all christians know that the more people you have praying for you or your intentions, the better the prayer might be answered. So we ask our friends to pray with us and for us. The saints in heaven are also our friends who we ask to pray for us and with us, Mary being the greatest saint.

We go to our friends for help, which includes especially Mary.

Now there is no obligation to go thru Mary or thru any of your other friends. You may very well pray by youself to Jesus if you wish. But I think you can see that Mary, being full of grace, would be the best possible person to pray for us that we could want. So we then go thru, with, and in, Mary to Jesus. But this is not obligatory if one decides to remain alone in their requests.

Now besides asking to go thru, with, and in, Mary to Jesus, we may formally do this one solemn time using DeMontfort's retreat. However if this too difficult for any reason, this does not prevent anyone doing this on their own. This can be done by reading DeMonfort's book first understanding what this means. And then making the act of consecration on one's own, which is in the book.

It is a beautiful thing to do, and will bring you many many blessings. Over time you will notice quite a difference if this is followed.

Here is the daily morning offering prayer, based on this total consecration to Mary.

O Jesus, thru the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world for my sins and those of the whole world. And any benefit that I may receive from you today I give freely to Mary to do with as she wishes, asking nothing in return but to love you more. Amen.

Wish you the love of Mary and peace of Jesus.
Old Jan 3, '13, 5:00 am
Prayer Warrior

I appreciate your detailed reply it helps a lot. This is an area I have been a little hazy on. I am going to look more at DeMontfort's retreat. I feel I have been steered in this direction for a while now.

God Bless you all.

-EM

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality