Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 2, '13, 7:16 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Gta v?

What are your opinions on the future release of GTA V?
Old Jan 2, '13, 9:19 pm

Default Re: Gta v?

Please excuse the ignorance of an old man, but what, on earth is Gta v? Is it some kind of computor shorthand, and if so, what does it mean?
Old Jan 2, '13, 9:33 pm

Religion: catholic

Grand Theft Auto V (5)

A game that will make a lot of money in my opinion.
Old Jan 2, '13, 9:38 pm
Banned

Religion: Russian Orthodox
Send a message via Skype™ to ThatOrthodoxGuy

It will be just more filth and I will not be buying it
Old Jan 2, '13, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOrthodoxGuy View Post
It will be just more filth and I will not be buying it
This.
Old Jan 3, '13, 4:40 am

I personally am unsure, I mean what is the harm in playing the game if you just play it for the missions and storyline? If you are mature enough to understand the different between reality and fiction, then what is wrong? Many will say that it promotes criminality, yet look at movies such as The Godfather, could you not argue that it promotes the same thing?
Old Jan 3, '13, 6:58 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIRE1994 View Post
What are your opinions on the future release of GTA V?
Welcome to CAF!

GTA V hasn't been released yet? It seems like I've seen threads about that game every couple of months for the past five years.

I think the GTA franchise is morally problematic. As a lifelong fan of video games, there are very few video games I would say that about unreservedly. But GTA is one of them.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jan 4, '13, 5:29 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I personally am unsure, I mean what is the harm in playing the game if you just play it for the missions and storyline? If you are mature enough to understand the different between reality and fiction, then what is wrong? Many will say that it promotes criminality, yet look at movies such as The Godfather, could you not argue that it promotes the same thing?
I have watched the Godfather more times than I can count, and so far, I haven't commited and crimes.

However, I think the "participation" in the game is different than just watching a movie. I am sure if you do a search, you can find all kinds of studies either way about whether game playing has any effect on people.

If I were a game player, I think that GTA is just a dumb premise for a game. But that's just me.
"Lord Jesus, in times of trial and temptation, be my strength and consolation. Teach me not to fear the darkness, but rather draw me to your light. For it can only be in darkness that you will become my light and in your light that I may bring the light of healing to all I meet." - George Maloney
Old Jan 7, '13, 8:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

No offense, but I am looking forward to the release of Grand Theft Auto V. I hope that it will not mock the Catholic Church.
Old Jan 8, '13, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxirad View Post
No offense, but I am looking forward to the release of Grand Theft Auto V. I hope that it will not mock the Catholic Church.
Perhaps it could be playable if one were to just play it for the storyline and just to explore the game world and not focus on reeking havoc upon innocent people?
Old May 15, '13, 8:21 am

Quote:
Perhaps it could be playable if one were to just play it for the storyline and just to explore the game world and not focus on reeking havoc upon innocent people?

I take back all the things that I have mentioned above. I would agree that this game is problematic and that Christians must not play it.
Old May 17, '13, 4:10 am

GTA is one of the better series around, definitely a standard-setter. I feel like their subject matter is a little played out, though. How much longer are they going to keep rehashing the same cities? I would be much more excited for V if they were showcasing a totally new city, or at least telling different kinds of stories- not just the same petty crime drama stuff. Wouldn't it be more interesting to play the game as a cop? You could have to choose whether to be a straight cop or a crooked one, there'd be all this potential for complex moral dilemma, it'd be great- just as an example. Or a taxi driver- like in Taxi Driver? Even new eras of pop culture would be cool- they've already done the 80s, 90s, and 00s, so maybe a return to the 70s could happen? There's a lot of material potential there- kung fu movies, exploitation films- maybe international environments, like a city environment in Asia? They can do literally anything they want to, but insist on pretty much doing the exact same thing every time. Frustrating.

Their move towards a multi-perspective narrative is like a baby step in the right direction, but not enough motivation for me to drop $70 on this.
Old May 17, '13, 8:16 am

Religion: Non-cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21faces View Post
Wouldn't it be more interesting to play the game as a cop?
LA Noire

Quote:
You could have to choose whether to be a straight cop or a crooked one.
True Crime: streets of NY. though that is a gta clone and not a very good one
Old May 17, '13, 9:39 am

I used to be a fan of the GTA series. To be honest I'm glad i don't really play it anymore. While some people can handle it, I think it fills the mind with garbage. Not in the sense that I think people will go out and kill others, but it desensitizes us. It makes violence a common occurrence in the sense that we don't care when shootings or burglaries happen and people are killed.

I'll use this example. I love movies, but i'll admit I used watch some morally offensive movies (I used to love Animal House and other similar comedies as well as crime films) . Those films desensetized me to sex and imorality. Not that I don't think its wrong, but I laugh at certain things I shouldn't when I should instead feel bad for these people. Anymore I try to watch more uplifting films like The Way (Great film about a lapsed Catholic making the pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago) or other films which promote better messages. Granted some violent films do have decent messages ( I love Saving Private Ryan and the Shawshank Redemption), but people need to be careful

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media