Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 16, '13, 7:57 pm

Religion: A new Roman Catholic <3
Default watching full length movies on youtube sinful/illegal

I love a movie on youthbe called Therese . Just type it in on youtube "therese part 1" and it comes up. Its in 9 parts. And it has been up a looooong time. And parts and bits (a couple scenes) have been edited out. And i cant find the movie anywhere else to buy. So umm is it illegal to watch full length movieson youtube?
Old Jan 16, '13, 8:01 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: watching full length movies on youtube sinful/illegal

If it has been put on You Tube by the legal owner, then it is fine to watch it.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jan 16, '13, 8:14 pm

Youtube enters into agreements to show movies and clips. If there isn't a right to broadcast it then it will be removed.
Old Jan 16, '13, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones80 View Post
Youtube enters into agreements to show movies and clips. If there isn't a right to broadcast it then it will be removed.
Actually, YouTube depends entirely on complaints by the owner of the copyright to take down material. There are reams of copyright violations there, it is a real minefield if you are scrupulous about it. I don't mind watching infringing material too much there, I figure that if the owner really cared they would take it down. But I use it for 5-10 minute clips. I draw the line at seeking out and watching full-length shows and movies there. To me that is just taking advantage.

Your mileage may vary.
Old Jan 16, '13, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
Actually, YouTube depends entirely on complaints by the owner of the copyright to take down material. There are reams of copyright violations there, it is a real minefield if you are scrupulous about it. I don't mind watching infringing material too much there, I figure that if the owner really cared they would take it down. But I use it for 5-10 minute clips. I draw the line at seeking out and watching full-length shows and movies there. To me that is just taking advantage.

Your mileage may vary.
My line, at least, is clips or full episodes. Except I'll only watch full episodes if the owners have complained about other videos. Namely, I know Disney knows Kim Possible is on Youtube. They complained about So the Drama and that's it. My logic is that they're probably fine with the rest of it, so I'll watch it

90 DAY BIBLE CHALLENGE! Since June 1st, I have read Gen 1:1-Rev 22:21. In other words, literally the entire Bible.
Old Jan 16, '13, 9:24 pm

Religion: A new Roman Catholic <3

The one full length movie that i watch is made by alain cjavelier and was made in 1986 and has never had any complaints so im guessing its ok.
Old Jan 16, '13, 9:56 pm
Forum Elder

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...utube-appeals/

Peace,
Ed
Old Jan 16, '13, 9:58 pm
Book Club Member

Night of the living dead is free... Romero forgot to copyright it, so it's public domain. Brief warning, anyone who watches it, there's a brief nude shot of a woman from her behind... a dead, people-eatin' woman. Just as warning, I'm scrupulous.
Old Jan 17, '13, 5:53 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeganFlinchum1 View Post
The one full length movie that i watch is made by alain cjavelier and was made in 1986 and has never had any complaints so im guessing its ok.
One cannot assume that just because it has not had a complaint that it is legally on You Tube.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jan 17, '13, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
One cannot assume that just because it has not had a complaint that it is legally on You Tube.
Again, what if the company has complained about other stuff in the same series, but not about that video?

90 DAY BIBLE CHALLENGE! Since June 1st, I have read Gen 1:1-Rev 22:21. In other words, literally the entire Bible.
Old Jan 19, '13, 1:36 am

I have a hard time believing someone will go to hell for watching "illegal" full length movies on youtube. That's stupid. Is there a clear answer on this? I've heard way too much back @ forth on this topic and never got a real answer.
Old Jan 19, '13, 1:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by minion View Post
I have a hard time believing someone will go to hell for watching "illegal" full length movies on youtube. That's stupid. Is there a clear answer on this? I've heard way too much back @ forth on this topic and never got a real answer.
It's a venial sin at worst at least according to a theologian I know.
Old Jan 19, '13, 5:54 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
I love a movie on youthbe called Therese . Just type it in on youtube "therese part 1" and it comes up. Its in 9 parts. And it has been up a looooong time. And parts and bits (a couple scenes) have been edited out. And i cant find the movie anywhere else to buy. So umm is it illegal to watch full length movieson youtube?
Why would it be?

You are not stealing a movie dvd from a store.

If you can watch movies on normal TV, there is no difference to watching it on youtube.

It's the same, like it's not a sin to borrow your friends dinner jacket.
Old Jan 19, '13, 6:09 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

well this is one reason why ticket prices at he theater go sky high, due to people bootlegging and posting them online. I have a hard time figuring where free websites such as youtube actually make a profit from showing movies for free, and the movie industry claims to lose money, which they do to a degree. But they are only losing money with those that don't want to pay the ticket price to watch the same movie in a crowded theater on the big screen.

If i have the option of watching a brand new movie for free on the net versus at the movies, i choose to go to the theater, i just find it more fun, older movies out dated by 10-20 years copyright issues again take over, along with a bunch of other legal stuff i have no clue over.

But the movies we see now for on basic television are edited for length an language / violence ( least to a degree ) and time / then on Turner Classic Movies, those are outdated by at least 30 years so... Bootlegging movies / pirating movies on the net that are just released on the big screen is a problem and is a form of theft, it may not hurt anyone directly, and people may feel like they are showing the movie industry that they charge too much for a movie that is not worth the ticket price, but no one is forcing them to watch a movie and one does have a brain to judge if the movie is worth seeing in the first place. Takes me about one viewing of the trailor of the movie to figure out if i will see it. To many excuses to try and reason why viewing pirated movies are not a big deal or a sin, people who are not millionaires whom we will never hear of did work to make the movies we currently enjoy. The movie industry is battling a problem that will never end because there is no centralized orginization that is causing the problem, but there are still plenty of people that enjoy the experience of going to a movie and will keep the industry above water.
Old Jan 19, '13, 7:08 am
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic

Quote:

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology