Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 13, '05, 6:41 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Remedy For A Clogged Sink

I had a plumbing problem in my home. After trying to fix the clogged up kitchen sink with draino and a snake, I thought I would have to call a plumber. The Holy Spirit put a thought in my mind to spinkle some Holy Water(blessed by my priest) in the drain. The split second that I did this the drain cleared instantly! This was a miracle!
Praise God!
Old Sep 13, '05, 7:25 am
Book Club Member

Default Re: Remedy For A Clogged Sink

While I can not say that this definitely was not prompted by God, I think I can say without fear of contradiction that the Church generally does not intend blessed Sacramentals to be used in this manner. Even in our Churches, there is a special sink called a sacrarium, whose drain goes directly into the ground, so that Holy Water, Holy Oils and similar materials disposed of therein do not end up mixed with common sewage.
Old Sep 13, '05, 10:38 am

Religion: R.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael038
I had a plumbing problem in my home. After trying to fix the clogged up kitchen sink with draino and a snake, I thought I would have to call a plumber. The Holy Spirit put a thought in my mind to spinkle some Holy Water(blessed by my priest) in the drain. The split second that I did this the drain cleared instantly! This was a miracle!
Praise God!
Old Sep 13, '05, 10:43 am
Book Club Member

Religion: cradle Catholic

Joseph is correct. You should never put holy sacramentals down the drain.

However, I admire your faith and I don't think you sinned because you didn't do anything wrong intentionally.
Corinthians (10:17)
Old Sep 13, '05, 10:43 am

Religion: R.C

Not only tho water but your fauth. my typing bad. your priest can he bless ny water too. im new today so hope messages work.
Old Sep 13, '05, 10:51 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael038
Praise God!
Michael,
Why would you even think about putting Holy Water down the drain? If it was a "miracle" I would say that it was your faith that "healed" the drain.
Old Sep 13, '05, 11:55 am

Religion: RC

Holy water has a sort of twilight existence, people generally sprinkle it around their troublesome immediate environments a bit, sometimes on their enemies - when they're not looking, but generally you could say that Holy water gets sprinkled around a fair bit, where it all goes to in the end, though, is a mystery.
Old Sep 13, '05, 1:25 pm

Send a message via AIM to turboEDvo

My recipe for fixing plumbing (changes may be made in accordance with each job):

Materials needed:

Tools:
1 pipe wrench
1 set of Visegrips
1 pair or channel locks large enough for any pipe in the house
1 can plumber's putty

Knowledge required:
1. How to shut off the house's water main
2. How to use your tools
3. How to drive
4. How to navigate Home Depot while stressed and in a huge time crunch

Materials:
any fittings needed in any size at all (it doesn't really matter, because regardless of the size you purchase, your plumbing will actually shrink or expand to make the part incorrectly sized)

Procedure:

Step 1: Loosen old pipes/fittings/valves etc.
Step 2: Accidentally break the valve that you were planning on reusing (realizing of course your inability to judge the strength of the fixture just by looking at it)
Step 3: Curse...then drive to Home Depot to buy a new part
Step 4: Return home, begin to screw on new fixture...realize that it is the wrong size.
Step 5: Curse...then drive to Home Depot to either return the part or by a converter
Step 6: Attach all pipes and fittings (use plumber's putty where appropriate), be sure to apply the correct force to each joint
Step 7: Turn on water...hear wooshing sound...watch as water issues from under your dishwasher and begins to warp your newly-installed kitchen floor
Step 8: Curse...dry everything up...disassemble dishwasher...and again silently curse the plumber who installed a water line (that supposedly was the dishwasher feed) that ended (unstoppered) under your dishwasher.
Step 9: Drive to Home Depot, purchase shut-off or cap for pipe
Step 10: Install...stand back...admire your handy work

Yes, this actually happened when I worked on the plumbing in my parents' rental house. The kitchen sink = evil!

Eamon
Old Sep 13, '05, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboEDvo
My recipe for fixing plumbing (changes may be made in accordance with each job):

Materials needed:

Tools:
1 pipe wrench
1 set of Visegrips
1 pair or channel locks large enough for any pipe in the house
1 can plumber's putty

Knowledge required:
1. How to shut off the house's water main
2. How to use your tools
3. How to drive
4. How to navigate Home Depot while stressed and in a huge time crunch

Materials:
any fittings needed in any size at all (it doesn't really matter, because regardless of the size you purchase, your plumbing will actually shrink or expand to make the part incorrectly sized)

Procedure:

Step 1: Loosen old pipes/fittings/valves etc.
Step 2: Accidentally break the valve that you were planning on reusing (realizing of course your inability to judge the strength of the fixture just by looking at it)
Step 3: Curse...then drive to Home Depot to buy a new part
Step 4: Return home, begin to screw on new fixture...realize that it is the wrong size.
Step 5: Curse...then drive to Home Depot to either return the part or by a converter
Step 6: Attach all pipes and fittings (use plumber's putty where appropriate), be sure to apply the correct force to each joint
Step 7: Turn on water...hear wooshing sound...watch as water issues from under your dishwasher and begins to warp your newly-installed kitchen floor
Step 8: Curse...dry everything up...disassemble dishwasher...and again silently curse the plumber who installed a water line (that supposedly was the dishwasher feed) that ended (unstoppered) under your dishwasher.
Step 9: Drive to Home Depot, purchase shut-off or cap for pipe
Step 10: Install...stand back...admire your handy work

Yes, this actually happened when I worked on the plumbing in my parents' rental house. The kitchen sink = evil!

Eamon
My recipe:
1-800-PLUMBER
http://amomfortruth.blogspot.com/
Old Sep 13, '05, 1:52 pm

Send a message via AIM to turboEDvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieLew
My recipe:
1-800-PLUMBER

I much prefer doing it myself. It just so happens that whoever did the plumbing before me made a few critical errors.

1. He used a valve that had a flex-pipe directly connected to the valve body, rather than having a threaded hole or spout so that if the flex-pipe broke it could be replaced. Inevitably, the flex pipe broke. So, instead of just replacing the flex-pipe with the one provided with the new faucet, I also had to buy a new valve.

2. I never figured out why the spare line had been run under the dishwasher. However, it looked like it fed the dishwasher (nope). So I hooked it up as it had been before (I think that the guy reused the valve on there, and the inlet was simply calcified shut). So, I had to get a shut-off valve for the extra hole in the plumbing that wasn't even supposed to be there.

The above is a demonstration of why I will do all my own plumbing. I don't know if a plumber or the previous owner did the job before me, but it was a giant mistake, so I do it right. Then I know it's done right.

Eamon
Old Sep 13, '05, 5:28 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieLew
My recipe:
1-800-PLUMBER
My remedy: call my dad. He just retired as a construction plumber. Actually, he taught me how to do a lot by myself, and my husband is also Mr. Fix-it.

Maggie
Old Sep 13, '05, 6:38 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (from the cradle)

Boiling water. I have heard boiling water loosens solidified fats and soaps in drains--especially a bathroom drain. And the boiling water won't harm pipes like some of those chemicals.
Old Sep 13, '05, 7:37 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboEDvo

Materials needed:
. . . The kitchen sink = evil!

Eamon
every thing you described is exactly correct, except to add that you should begin the job late on Sunday afternoon so that all the hardware and home improvement stores will be closed when you desperately need anothe part or tool.
Old Sep 13, '05, 7:49 pm

Okay, I'll say the obvious. Fill the sink with water and plunge it like mad until you hear an odd sound. Watch all the water plus a priceless ring that fell in when you were distracted whoosh down the drain at lightning speed.

Eamon, I have begun to have concerns that Home Depot will stop accepting my business. I have returned so many items, I fear being put on a blacklist. It helps if you postpone any maintenace for a long time, making the visits to Home Depot far apart, in the hopes they forget you. Also, it helps to go to a different store each time...Menards on Monday, TrueValue on Tuesday, etc.

Michael, snakes only work if they are attached to $300 motors.
Old Sep 13, '05, 8:07 pm

whenever I notice that a sink or tub is draining slowly, I pour a cup of bleach down the drain. It works every time.

Blessed Jacinta talking to her dying brother Blessed Francisco

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence