Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Hurricanes: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 13, '05, 3:19 pm

Religion: Catholic
Smile Happy Memories of New Orleans Area

I am not going to be able to make a comprehensive list by myself. I know there are lots of people out there with fond memories and who are looking forward to doing some of these things again!

- po-boys at Domilise's (they were still offering Barq's rootbeer in the glass bottle last July!)
- antique shopping on Magazine or in the Quarter
- eating at Commander's Palace (my favorite restaurant in the world)
- visiting the new D-Day Museum (it was world-class)
- eating in Fat City (several great restaurants)
- Greek Festival
- just driving up and down St. Charles Avenue (beautiful old homes on an oak-lined avenue)
- riverboat rides
- Mardi Gras (family event - I have spent hours and hours goofing off with my cousins and siblings, eating tons of food and getting way too excited over plastic beads and cups; there were changes in college, but still mostly good clean fun)
- Jazz Fest! (amazing music, food, crafts - and if you're lucky perfect weather, too)
- snoballs in the summer
- Christmas in the Oaks
Old Sep 13, '05, 6:32 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Happy Memories of New Orleans Area

climbing oak trees at the Audabon Zoo
playing with my kids on monkey hill at the zoo
roast beef po-boys from dimartino's
PJ's COFFEE on Magazine
Ms. Mae's on Magazine (gone now)
LaMadaline's for breakfast
taking the ferry from old algiers to the french quater
especially on Mardi Gras Day
St. Joesph Alters
Watching Saints games with my three brothers
Crawfish Boils at my parents house
The Louisiana Iris in bloom in late march
My grandmother's house, eating boiled shrimp with remoulade
sauce, french bread and homemade lemon aid (this I will miss
the most of all. she died last year, but it will always be one of
my favorite memories)
the view of the river from the 6th floor of Children's Hospital on
a slow sunday afternoon
Old Sep 14, '05, 7:27 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Boy, y'all really bring back some memories. I think I'm alot older than you both.

The banana man passing on Esplanade by my HS, St. Aloysius,..."Bananas.....I got Bananas............

Being let out of class to honor the deceased as the jazz funeral passed by my HS.....Dirge as they took the body away. Saint's come marchin' in after.

Meatball po-boys at the Napoleon House. Best roast beef po-boys in NO at the Come Back Inn on West Metairie. I'd ride my bike in the late 60s to go get them for my family. Even though I now live in Walker, every time we go down to the City we get po-boys from them. Please God let them come back.

Watching the ships take the bend in the river at Jackson Square. Taking the ferry across the river at Canal St.

Going to get beignets and coffee at 10:00 pm at the Morning Call in the French Quarter because Cafe du Monde was too crowded. (Bet y'all even didn't know that Morning Call was down in the French Quarter!).

I could go on and on. Y'all know what I am talking about. The City is a magical place. There's no place like it in the world. I've tried on these threads to explain us. Unfortunately there is no explaining us. But, that's OK. We really, really do know what it means to miss New Orleans. My brothers and sisters from New Orleans - let's pray for our beloved city. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that we will have Mardi Gras in 2006. May God give you a good cup of cafe au lait and a nice pot of red beans and rice.
Old Sep 14, '05, 8:06 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Unreformed

I don't know what a po boy is. It's like having an itch I can't scratch. Please tell me what a po boy is.
Old Sep 15, '05, 1:31 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

A Po'Boy is a sandwich, a large roll stuffed with shrimp and whatever else. Very unique sandwich, with each place that serves them varying to some degree to make a claim to "the best po'boy this side of 'Nawlins!"
Old Sep 15, '05, 2:34 pm

I've heard people compare po'boys to subways or hoagies. They are similar, but I think po'boys are much tastier! I usually envision french bread. I love fried seafood po'boys, but other items like meatballs or roast beef (and so on) are also used.

At some places, you can get half-and-half po'boys, too. So, I might get a half shrimp/ half oyster po'boy (fried shrimp and oysters) and I'd get it "dressed" (with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and some kind of condiment usually involving lots of calories - delicious!!!). I frequently add Tobasco sauce, too, if the provided condiments aren't spicy enough. Everyone has their own preferences. People can get very picky, too. I think shredded lettuce is an essential. Now I am feeling homesick and hungry. lol
Old Sep 15, '05, 5:05 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Take a baguette. Cut it into 12" sections. Slice it in half. Slather it with mayo on both sides. Take thinly cut roast beef slices. Simmer them in a brown gravy with lots of garlic for a while until they are tender, tender, tender. Place heaping amounts of roast beef on the baguette. Shred your lettuce and put lettuce on top. Top that with sliced tomatoes fresh from your garden. Top with dill pickles. Cover with the other half of the baguette. Serve with a Barq's (sarsasparilla not root beer - Barq's got sued by Coke over this). Yum.
Old Sep 15, '05, 7:20 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Of course, you could do virtually the same thing and top the sandwich with fried oysters, shrimp, soft shelled crabs, fish, meatballs (with tomato sauce), broiled ham (can we say Parkview Bakery here?), fried chicken tenders (my kids' favorite).

Having lived in Baton Rouge for the last 30 yrs., the key is the bread. A good french baguette must have a nice crispy crust. People in BR don't like it so you can't find a decent po-boy in BR even at places that advertise that they sell New Orleans po-boys. NOT! I don't want soft baguettes. But, there is hope! Half the city of NO is living here. They won't put up with soft french bread!

And, we have not mentioned that you can get really, really great plate lunches in NO. Red beans and rice w/ sausage, liver and onions with grits, shrimp creole, meat loaf ............AND it is available all across the city. Would Monday not be complete without red beans and rice?
Old Sep 15, '05, 9:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: TAC >>> Maronite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherhrolf
Take a baguette. Cut it into 12" sections. Slice it in half. Slather it with mayo on both sides. Take thinly cut roast beef slices. Simmer them in a brown gravy with lots of garlic for a while until they are tender, tender, tender. Place heaping amounts of roast beef on the baguette. Shred your lettuce and put lettuce on top. Top that with sliced tomatoes fresh from your garden. Top with dill pickles. Cover with the other half of the baguette. Serve with a Barq's (sarsasparilla not root beer - Barq's got sued by Coke over this). Yum.
Brother Hrolf:

There is a place in a Los Angeles near downtown whose owners are from New Orleans (Philleppe's). The used to serve Po'Boys according to your recipe. "Angelinos" scoffed, so they modified it a bit. but, If you're ever in LA City, and you tell them that you're from New Orleans, I think they just might do it you way...

I'm sorry that Barq's got sued by Coke - They made the best Root Beer.

Something to think about if you want to travel here.

In Christ, Michael
"I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it... Ezekiel 22:30 NIV
Old Sep 16, '05, 8:17 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Having lived in Baton Rouge for the last 30 yrs., the key is the bread. A good french baguette must have a nice crispy crust.
Yum!

Quote:
And, we have not mentioned that you can get really, really great plate lunches in NO. Red beans and rice w/ sausage, liver and onions with grits, shrimp creole, meat loaf ............AND it is available all across the city. Would Monday not be complete without red beans and rice?
I love red beans and rice. They're called rice n peas up here. I throw a green pepper in there just for the flavour and then take it out before eating. I don't eat red meat, but I reckon I can hunt me down some chicken sausage and veggie meatloaf.

Oh I am gastronomically challenged listening to all this food-talk! Is there any way some of you evacuees can come up to Toronto and start a Creole Take Out? Or -- oh! oh! -- a franchise so that no matter where we go we can have po boys! <greedy smiley>
Old Sep 16, '05, 4:46 pm
Book Club Member

Similar thread with great stories and pictures:

Ever been to or lived in, New Orleans, share your story.
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=73271
Old Sep 16, '05, 5:01 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Ani Ibi: A green pepper? Please specify the type of pepper. Do you consider ham as red meat?
Old Sep 17, '05, 6:38 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Ani Ibi: A green pepper? Please specify the type of pepper. Do you consider ham as red meat?
Well there is a special kind of green pepper that centralamericans throw in their rice. I forget the kind, so I just throw in ordinary green pepper. It does the job.

I do consider ham as red meat. So I basically eat fish with gills and scales and poultry. My mouth does still water when I smell ribs, bacon, hamburgers, and so on -- which is every Saturday because I live near a farmers market.

By the way, yesterday I had the nearest thing to a po-boy. It was a small French-type bun with a hard crust. Inside was fried eggplant, fried chicken, green peppers, and onions. They have sauce too, but I don't like the sauce. So I'm happy.
Old Sep 17, '05, 8:52 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

I think what you are using is a jalapeno. I asked because green bell peppers are essential to red beans and rice - just like celery, onions and garlic.

Aren't farmers markets wonderful? My wife bakes bread and cookies and sells free range eggs at ours. When the market closes the vendors barter. On Saturdays I wait for her to come back to see what fresh goodies she brings before I go to the grocery store to get what I need to cook for supper.

Another happy memory of NO - men cook down here and I don't mean just BBQ. I love to cook but I cook New Orleans' style which is mostly Creole. DW grew up cooking Southern and Cajun.
Old Sep 17, '05, 9:16 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I think what you are using is a jalapeno. I asked because green bell peppers are essential to red beans and rice - just like celery, onions and garlic.

Aren't farmers markets wonderful? My wife bakes bread and cookies and sells free range eggs at ours. When the market closes the vendors barter. On Saturdays I wait for her to come back to see what fresh goodies she brings before I go to the grocery store to get what I need to cook for supper.

Another happy memory of NO - men cook down here and I don't mean just BBQ. I love to cook but I cook New Orleans' style which is mostly Creole. DW grew up cooking Southern and Cajun.
And excellent cooks they are
I like bean soup..cajun....yum

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Hurricanes: 2005