Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 14, '05, 7:37 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Cemetery

Can a Catholic be buried in a non denominational cemetary? What is the Churches teaching on this.

Thank You

Bill
Old Sep 14, '05, 9:47 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin)
Default Re: Cemetery

Yes, but the individual grave would be blessed. A particular (i.e. diocesan) law might forbid burial in a particular cemetery for a particular reason, e.g., that the cemetery is reserved for those belonging to a group antithetical to Catholicism, but that's a far fetched and conjectural example.

Canon 1180 1. If a parish has its own cemetery, the faithful departed are to be interred in it unless another cemetery has been legitimately chosen either by the departed person or by those who are responsible to arrange for his or her interment. 2. However, everyone, unless prohibited by law, is permitted to choose a particular cemetery for burial.

Canon 1240 1. The Church is to have its own cemeteries wherever this can be done, or at least spaces in civil cemeteries destined for the faithful departed and properly blessed. 2. If however, this cannot be achieved, individual graves are to be properly blessed as often as needed.

Do all that has to be done without complaining or arguing and then you will be innocent and genuine, perfect children of God among a deceitful and underhand brood, and you will shine in the world like bright stars. Philippians 2:14-15
Old Sep 14, '05, 10:13 am
Book Club Member

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron_lansing
A particular (i.e. diocesan) law might forbid burial in a particular cemetery for a particular reason, e.g., that the cemetery is reserved for those belonging to a group antithetical to Catholicism, but that's a far fetched and conjectural example.
Such as a cemetery "for Masonic and Eastern Star Families?"
Old Sep 14, '05, 10:47 am

Thank you very much Deacon for this information right from the canon. This has given me much peace in this matter.

Bill
Old Sep 14, '05, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotl
Such as a cemetery "for Masonic and Eastern Star Families?"
Possibly. A bishop could issue such a restriction after considering the all facts and weighing the values and circimstances involved. In that situation, he could also dispense from his own law in a particular case. But he might also decide after his review, that such a restriction might be useless or even counter-productive.

Do all that has to be done without complaining or arguing and then you will be innocent and genuine, perfect children of God among a deceitful and underhand brood, and you will shine in the world like bright stars. Philippians 2:14-15
Old Sep 15, '05, 7:08 am

I was talking about this thread to a fellow choir memeber last night at church and she was VERY anxious to know if there was any sort of restriction about non-catholics being buried in a Catholic cemetary. I didn't know for sure, so I said I'd ask. My gut instinct says no problem, but since I was surprised at this answer, I figured I'd better check with the more learned.
Old Sep 15, '05, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS2000
I was talking about this thread to a fellow choir memeber last night at church and she was VERY anxious to know if there was any sort of restriction about non-catholics being buried in a Catholic cemetary. I didn't know for sure, so I said I'd ask. My gut instinct says no problem, but since I was surprised at this answer, I figured I'd better check with the more learned.
There is no prohibition in universal law. Conceivably a diocesan bishop might so legislate.

But I think that's highly unlikely in light of the Church's understanding toward non-Catholic Christians and even non-Christians. After all, the Church permits its own funeral rites to be used in certain situations for non-Catholics. It takes cognizance that there are Catholic / non-Catholic marriages, and shows concern for the non-Catholics. It extends special concern toward catechumens and candidates for full reception. And at the time of bereavement, the Church is concerned that its ministers be especially charitable and merciful. So we'd probably let non- Catholics rest in our grounds and permit non-Catholic ministers to conduct the services.

Of course, anyone with nagging questions could also contact his or her cemetery of choice or read an existing contract for plot and interment. There might be policies that would affect the funeral of a non - Catholic. (E.g., the cemetary might itself forbid the scattering of ashes for everyone. While Catholics cannot have their ashes scattered, this is an ecclesiastical law and would not bind a non-Catholic per se. But the policy could prevent it. Since this is a hypothetical, that's all I would say about the example though.)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics