Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 12, '13, 6:35 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Lightbulb Fasting from meat on Lenten Fridays... required?

Is the whole skipping meat on Lenten Fridays an American thing or a Catholic thing? I'm pretty sure this whole thing doesn't even exist in Brazil (my native land).

Thanks guys!
Old Feb 12, '13, 6:38 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Ignatius
Default Re: Fasting from meat on Lenten Fridays... required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
Is the whole skipping meat on Lenten Fridays an American thing or a Catholic thing? I'm pretty sure this whole thing doesn't even exist in Brazil (my native land).

Thanks guys!
It is a discipline observed throughout the Church Universal. Not only that, but all of the ancient Christian Churches observe the fast, prayer and alms giving discipline of the Great Lent.
http://catholictruth.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jBa...layer_embedded
Old Feb 12, '13, 6:47 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
It is a discipline observed throughout the Church Universal. Not only that, but all of the ancient Christian Churches observe the fast, prayer and alms giving discipline of the Great Lent.
My mom said she had never even heard of the whole meat fast on Lenten Fridays until she moved to the US at the age of 34, because it doesn't exist in Brazil.

It seems like if it were more of an official Church thing, a Catholic country like Brazil would have such tradition, but it doesn't. Which makes me think it's an American thing first, and a Catholic thing second.
Old Feb 12, '13, 6:50 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
My mom said she had never even heard of the whole meat fast on Lenten Fridays until she moved to the US at the age of 34.

It seems like if it were more of an official Church thing, a Catholic country like Brazil would have such tradition, but it doesn't. Which makes me think it's an American thing first, and a Catholic thing second.
Maybe it did but your mom was unaware?

And no it is NOT an American thing. Honestly, hon, while I don't find Wiki a good bet, why not Google Abstinence in the Catholic Encyclopedia at New Advent?

Check it out:

Friday

From the dawn of Christianity, Friday has been signalized as an abstinence day, in order to do homage to the memory of Christ suffering and dying on that day of the week. The "Teaching of the Apostles" (viii), Clement of Alexandria (Stromata VI.75), and Tertullian (On Fasting 14) make explicit mention of this practice. Pope Nicholas I (858-867) declares that abstinence from flesh meat is enjoined on Fridays. There is every reason to conjecture that Innocent III (1198-1216) had the existence of this law in mind when he said that this obligation is suppressed as often as Christmas Day falls on Friday (De observ. jejunii, ult. cap. Ap. Layman, Theologia Moralis, I, iv, tract. viii, ii). Moreover, the way in which the custom of abstaining on Saturday originated in the Roman Church is a striking evidence of the early institution of Friday as an abstinence day.

As you see, it originated in the Church well before America was even discovered. . .

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Feb 12, '13, 7:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantum ergo View Post
Maybe it did but your mom was unaware?

And no it is NOT an American thing. Honestly, hon, while I don't find Wiki a good bet, why not Google Abstinence in the Catholic Encyclopedia at New Advent?

Check it out:

Friday

From the dawn of Christianity, Friday has been signalized as an abstinence day, in order to do homage to the memory of Christ suffering and dying on that day of the week. The "Teaching of the Apostles" (viii), Clement of Alexandria (Stromata VI.75), and Tertullian (On Fasting 14) make explicit mention of this practice. Pope Nicholas I (858-867) declares that abstinence from flesh meat is enjoined on Fridays. There is every reason to conjecture that Innocent III (1198-1216) had the existence of this law in mind when he said that this obligation is suppressed as often as Christmas Day falls on Friday (De observ. jejunii, ult. cap. Ap. Layman, Theologia Moralis, I, iv, tract. viii, ii). Moreover, the way in which the custom of abstaining on Saturday originated in the Roman Church is a striking evidence of the early institution of Friday as an abstinence day.

As you see, it originated in the Church well before America was even discovered. . .
Thanks Ergo.

I find it unlikely that it exists in Brazil but my mom just didn't know about it. She was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools. My Dad told me the same thing as my mom, but I regard her word more because she's the super religious one. I guess they just don't do it there for some reason. Weird.
Old Feb 12, '13, 7:18 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Thanks Ergo.

I find it unlikely that it exists in Brazil but my mom just didn't know about it. She was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools. My Dad told me the same thing as my mom, but I regard her word more because she's the super religious one. I guess they just don't do it there for some reason. Weird.
The whole "Carnivale" in Brazil, as I understand, refers back to the fact that the time just before Lent was when you ate meat, and you 'finished up the meat' right before Lent (Carni refers to meat). No meat for Lent. So Portugal, which colonized Brazil, and Brazil itself, must have observed the Friday abstinence until fairly recently. Very likely they asked for an indult around the same time the U.S. did (1965) and so if your mother is my age (56), since one didn't actually start to observe abstinence until around age 7, she might have only done so for a year or two if that, and thus not remember.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Feb 12, '13, 7:19 pm

Actually, it differs from country to country, depending on the advice of the bishops of that country. You might say abstinence is the universal norm, but it is not applied everywhere.

Here in Australia, abstinence from meat is required only on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Penance is required on all Fridays during lent, but can be fulfilled through prayer, self-denial (fasting/abstinence), or helping others.

You should be lead by your own bishops, and of course your own desire to join in Christ's sacrifice in a suitable way.
Old Feb 12, '13, 7:21 pm
Forum Elder

It is the universal law of the Church. However, the Episcopla Conference can determine that abstaining from some other food can be observed, or possibly even some other penance. Abstinence from meat is required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday regardless of what the Episcopal Conference may have decided for other Fridays of the year and Lent. Canon Law:

Can.* 1249 The divine law binds all the Christian faithful to do penance each in his or her own way. In order for all to be united among themselves by some common observance of penance, however, penitential days are prescribed on which the Christian faithful devote themselves in a special way to prayer, perform works of piety and charity, and deny themselves by fulfilling their own obligations more faithfully and especially by observing fast and abstinence, according to the norm of the following canons.

Can.* 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

Can.* 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Can.* 1252 The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their fourteenth year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their sixtieth year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by the law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.

Can.* 1253 The conference of bishops can determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence as well as substitute other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety, in whole or in part, for abstinence and fast.

Since you are in the US, you would follow the directives of the US bishop's conference-- which means abstaining from meat on all Fridays of Lent. If your mother now lives in the US, she would also follow the requirements of the US bishops.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 12, '13, 7:26 pm

Yes it is required and it's a Catholic "thing" not just in the US. Be thankful because when I was growing up it was every Friday not just during Lent. Is it that hard a requirement for you to observe? Fish is healthy and better for you.
Old Feb 12, '13, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayogirl25 View Post
Yes it is required and it's a Catholic "thing" not just in the US. Be thankful because when I was growing up it was every Friday not just during Lent. Is it that hard a requirement for you to observe? Fish is healthy and better for you.
Actually, unless we do another form of Penance, we're supposed to still abstain voluntarily from meat all year, not just Lent. It's not a sin if we don't, but it's highly encouraged.
Old Feb 12, '13, 7:39 pm

Universal Church law mandates that Catholics abstain on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday and that they do some some form of penance on all Fridays. Abstaining from meat on all Friday's is the norm, however, episcopal confrences have the authority to allow an alternative penance on Fridays other than Good Friday, which most episcopal confrences have done. The American bishops have only allowed the substitution of other penances on Fridays outside of Lent. So contrary to popular belief it is still required to do some form of penance on all Fridays under pain of sin.
Old Feb 12, '13, 7:56 pm

Religion: Catholic convert

YES. Abstinence from meat on the Fridays of Lent has been observed by the Church ALL over the world. To be honest I don't understand the point of asking this question and then arguing about it with the posters who give you the correct information. My advice is this: SIMPLY OBEY. Don't criticise, complain, or try to wheedle your way out of it. SIMPLY FAST AND ABSTAIN AS THE CHURCH MANDATES.
Old Feb 12, '13, 8:04 pm

Fasting (binding between ages 18-60) and Abstinence (binding from 14th birthday on) are required by all Catholics on Ash Wednesday and on the Fridays of Lent is what I've heard.
Old Feb 12, '13, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic4Jesus View Post
Fasting (binding between ages 18-60) and Abstinence (binding from 14th birthday on) are required by all Catholics on Ash Wednesday and on the Fridays of Lent is what I've heard.
The obligation to fast applies until one reaches the age of 59. Fasting is only required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Some form of penance is required on all Fridays. Also, your information is correct for America, most countries allow some other form of penance on the Fridays of Lent (except for Good Friday) and some countries require abstinence on all Fridays. There are also countries that have the same rule as the US.
Old Feb 12, '13, 8:17 pm
Observing Member

Jesus died for your sins, and you are wondering whether the "rules" say you should give up meat on Fridays. Whether the rules say one should give up meat on Fridays doesn't matter that much, more importantly a Christian should sacrifice out of love of Christ not out of obligation.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality