Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 13, '13, 12:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Intelligent life on other planets...

Is it possible that God could've created other "humans" living on other planets, that is, beings created in the image and likeness of God and having a spiritual soul (even if they don't physically look like us)?
And if this is possible, how would these "humans" obtain salvation? Would Christ have had to appear to them too...assuming that these humans would have made the choice to reject God?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 13, '13, 1:09 pm

Default Re: Intelligent life on other planets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseproject View Post
Is it possible that God could've created other "humans" living on other planets, that is, beings created in the image and likeness of God and having a spiritual soul (even if they don't physically look like us)?
And if this is possible, how would these "humans" obtain salvation? Would Christ have had to appear to them too...assuming that these humans would have made the choice to reject God?

Thanks in advance
I can't think of any reason that it couldn't be that way. I've often wondered the same thing...
Old Feb 13, '13, 1:30 pm
Banned

I consider it odd there is life on earth let alone humans and all the abundant forms of complex life on earth.

A monk many centuries ago once thought there were people on the moon or some planet in the Milky Way. I can't remember which. He saw what appeared to be flickers or bonfires of light and concluded the people to be a merry people that indulged in a lot of celebration.

Science and the bible offer interesting stories of how a non-populated earth became populated by the mathematical presence of 1 and 2.

Maybe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe or maybe this is just a lonely universe which humans emotionally have trouble handling. I don't know. But I'll believe in aliens when I see them. Would be funny if they look like leprechauns though. It would be a new experience for me to be a giant.

If they exist though, and if God created the world, then I guess God created them (intelligent life elsewhere) too. I don't know how to answer the Jesus part. I'll defer to the philosophers with that.
Old Feb 13, '13, 1:32 pm

Religion: Orthodox

[quote=roseproject;10354599]Is it possible that God could've created other "humans" living on other planets, that is, beings created in the image and likeness of God and having a spiritual soul (even if they don't physically look like us)?

Thanks in advance [/QUOTE

In the movie "Contact" it was said this universe would be a lot of wasted space if it is just only us. It is not revealed to us if there is life out there. I mean God has not told us and we haven't asked Him when He was here. It seems there may be possibilty because of the immense size of the universe. Why wouldn't God create other peoples? He is in the creating business. I am an astronomer and studied a bit about the universe. We know from our telescopes and other measuring instruments that the farthest light we can see is 14 billion light years away. That means for us to see that light it must have traveled 14 billion years for us just to see it. Amazing! This universe is not young. Since from calculations the earth is approx 4 billion years old and that humanity is only contained in a very small time zone it can actually point to God developing other human societies on other planets while the earth is being formed. While this is only speculation there is nothing really to rule it out. May be God works only at one planet at a time and we are the ones presently alone in the universe. After our time ends God will create another human socity to work with. It's a possibilty.
Old Feb 13, '13, 1:32 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseproject View Post

Thanks in advance
The Jewish perspective accepts intelligent life on other planets with enthusiasm but does not believe such life would be mandated to receive the Torah in the same way the Jewish people are. IOW, G-d would handle their salvation (which is not really a concept in Judaism in the same way as in Christianity) in a different way.

BTW, what do you mean by intelligent life on OTHER planets? Do you think there is intelligent life on THIS planet?
Old Feb 13, '13, 1:49 pm
Forum Elder

It is undoubtedly possible that there are other persons in the universe but they need not have been redeemed in the same way as human beings. No one could have predicted the immense variety of life on this planet, let alone the Incarnation! The extent of divine originality and creativity is far beyond the limits of our imagination....
Old Feb 13, '13, 1:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
BTW, what do you mean by intelligent life on OTHER planets? Do you think there is intelligent life on THIS planet?
You beat me to it.
Old Feb 13, '13, 2:28 pm

There's no reason why there couldn't be, but I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that there is.
Old Feb 13, '13, 2:46 pm

There was an astronaut that was well respected in the scientific community that said NASA has proof of alien life. You can find it on YouTube.
Old Feb 13, '13, 3:01 pm

Religion: catholic

I once read that satan loves when people divert their attention away from God with this silliness. Curiosity killed the cat.
Old Feb 13, '13, 3:47 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
LOL. Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo View Post
In the movie "Contact" it was said this universe would be a lot of wasted space if it is just only us.
Quote:
I am an astronomer and studied a bit about the universe. We know from our telescopes and other measuring instruments that the farthest light we can see is 14 billion light years away. That means for us to see that light it must have traveled 14 billion years for us just to see it. Amazing!
Dr. Chimo, then you're aware the universe is mostly "wasted space"?

The earth is enormous at human scale but if viewed from the scale of say.... the universe itself, then the earth is about the size of a grain of sand and humans would be what... smaller than bacteria or viruses maybe? And there is enormous gaps between each of the grains of sand (cosmological bodies like planets), some as far in distance from one another as a light year or more if I recall correctly?

Which is an enormous universe beyond my comprehension of scale.

But what I can comprehend on scale, or try to a bit at least, is a female reproductive egg being roughly 10 or 15 micrometers I believe. Or roughly the size of this dot or period -> .

That's pretty big. Humans would be even far smaller than that.

Some of these planets are so far away.... as you alluded to.... that if planets are roughly the size of grains of sand then one grain of sand would be located in the center of Milwaukee and another in the center of Chicago and most empty space between the two.

So, the universe might rightly be described as mainly "wasted space" I would think.
Old Feb 13, '13, 4:57 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic loyal to the Pope, don't even try to change me!

There is no reason other intelligent civilizations couldn't have their own "Redeemer", like we have Jesus.

Since Jesus is not a human person but a divine person, the Son of God would be the person of all these Redeemers.

Each civilization would owe it's allegiance only to it own Redeemer.

The Redeemers might be aware of each other, but would not need to know details about each other's histories.

God might choose to mix civilizations up in Heaven. On the other hand, he might choose to keep civilizations separate forever. Why? I don't know.
Old Feb 13, '13, 5:20 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by empther View Post
There is no reason other intelligent civilizations couldn't have their own "Redeemer", like we have Jesus.

Since Jesus is not a human person but a divine person, the Son of God would be the person of all these Redeemers.

Each civilization would owe it's allegiance only to it own Redeemer.

The Redeemers might be aware of each other, but would not need to know details about each other's histories.

God might choose to mix civilizations up in Heaven. On the other hand, he might choose to keep civilizations separate forever. Why? I don't know.
Interesting idea, but I think it may pose some challenges to Christian theology.
Old Feb 13, '13, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEntrance View Post
LOL. Good one.

Dr. Chimo, then you're aware the universe is mostly "wasted space"?

The earth is enormous at human scale but if viewed from the scale of say.... the universe itself, then the earth is about the size of a grain of sand and humans would be what... smaller than bacteria or viruses maybe? And there is enormous gaps between each of the grains of sand (cosmological bodies like planets), some as far in distance from one another as a light year or more if I recall correctly?

Which is an enormous universe beyond my comprehension of scale.

But what I can comprehend on scale, or try to a bit at least, is a female reproductive egg being roughly 10 or 15 micrometers I believe. Or roughly the size of this dot or period -> .

That's pretty big. Humans would be even far smaller than that.

Some of these planets are so far away.... as you alluded to.... that if planets are roughly the size of grains of sand then one grain of sand would be located in the center of Milwaukee and another in the center of Chicago and most empty space between the two.

So, the universe might rightly be described as mainly "wasted space" I would think.
It was just a line from a movie that got you thinking, that's all. If you are not interesting in this vast universe except for this earth that is your priveledge. Some of us like to venture beyond this earth because God created it as well. If we put more of energy in the awesome realities of God's creation we would be thinking more about Him. I am open to the fact our God is bigger than this earth. But that does not take away what people think about when they only think of this earth. If we broaden our horizons a bit either way this is what the character means when he says "wasted space". He is just saying it is good if we just be open to other possibilities.
Old Feb 13, '13, 6:22 pm

With the advent of incredible telesopes and other astronomical instruments we are able to bring the universe into your home. The fantastic images from the world's first orbiting telescope will astound you if you will only take a look at its images. The exploration and discovery of everything out there is telling us much about God and His creative works and ways. Just look at the Eagle Nebula and its rising pillars of circling hydrogen gases that has given the nickname "Pillars of Creation" by astronomers. These gases are producing stars right in front of these telescopes lenses. Each of these pillars are giantic in size for the smale nodules coming from their end points are the size of our solar system. God is creating new stars and new solar systems right in front of our eyes and what is amazing is this nebula is 7000 light years away and the pillars are a large 9 light years in distance. This thing is massive yet the Hubble telescope can see it as if it is next door to us.

All of this is teaching us how God made everything. It is primarily through one element hydrogen which is the simplest of all of the elements in the table of chemistry. God made eveything out of this simplest element yet He created this hydrogen initially from nothing. Stars initially start out with this element and eventually with all that burning in the stars the other elements we find on earth are formed. Since a fast burning star can go supernova it will take a lot of stars grouped together to form all the necessary elements to form and create our earth. Not all stars go supernova and our sun was this kind of star. If you check out the Eagle Nebula we can see thousands of stars are being formed. This tells us our own Solar System may have evolved in the same way. There was not one star but many more in the beginning of our Solar System. Since God needs chemical elements to form and make the Earth He did so by making all these stars in the beginning. Since our Sun stayed around the other stars went supernova so as to put these elements necessary to make for instance planets. Radium one of the newest elements discovered by Madame Curie made her say when she saw light emit from certain rocks, "It was if a part of the sun is in this rock!" You can say man was created from the simplist form of mud and earth but you can even go back and say we are made from stardust and back further to hydrogen.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy