Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 15, '13, 1:08 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Archbishop vs Bishop Cassock/other vestments

Hello,

Is there a difference between an archbishops cassocks and a bishops? Am i wrong in thinking that an archbishop has red buttons and trimming but the same violet sash and with the same color zuchetto?

I know about the pallum and I am not talking about choir dress (but if there is a difference let me know.) But if you anyone has any insight if there are any/all differences it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 15, '13, 4:15 am

Default Re: Archbishop vs Bishop Cassock/other vestments

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello25 View Post
Hello,

Is there a difference between an archbishops cassocks and a bishops? Am i wrong in thinking that an archbishop has red buttons and trimming but the same violet sash and with the same color zuchetto?

I know about the pallum and I am not talking about choir dress (but if there is a difference let me know.) But if you anyone has any insight if there are any/all differences it would be greatly appreciated.
There are no differences in the choir and Mass/house cassocks of bishops and archbishops. The obvious difference would be in their episcopal coat of arms. A bishop would have 6 fiocchi on each side and an archbishop 10 fiocchi (tassels). A bishop would have an ordinary processional cross and an archbishop would have an arch-episcopal cross behind the arms.
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree
Laudetur Iesus Christus nunc et in saecula Amen
Old Feb 15, '13, 7:50 am

Religion: Catholic. God's a Texas fan: He made sunsets burnt orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtcom1213 View Post
There are no differences in the choir and Mass/house cassocks of bishops and archbishops. The obvious difference would be in their episcopal coat of arms. A bishop would have 6 fiocchi on each side and an archbishop 10 fiocchi (tassels). A bishop would have an ordinary processional cross and an archbishop would have an arch-episcopal cross behind the arms.
And a metropolitan-archbishop wears the pallium over his chasuble at Mass. The archbishops who preside over non-metropolitan archdioceses, titular archbishops and archbishops-in-personal-title do not wear a pallium and do not have that privilege.
Old Feb 15, '13, 2:41 pm
Trial Membership

The fascia is the same color? What about the trimming and button color on the cassock. Don't archbishops have red buttons and trimming with the purple fascia?
Old Feb 15, '13, 2:42 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
The fascia is the same color? What about the trimming and button color on the cassock. Don't archbishops have red buttons and trimming with the purple fascia?
The clothing of bishops and archbishops is exactly the same, except that archbishops get to wear a pallium when celebrating Mass. If the archbishop is a metropolitan, that is.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Feb 15, '13, 2:50 pm
Trial Membership

Interesting, I don't know why I keep thinking that there are different shades of purple when they are wearing their everyday black cassocks.
Old Feb 15, '13, 2:59 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Interesting, I don't know why I keep thinking that there are different shades of purple when they are wearing their everyday black cassocks.
The various grades of monsignor wear a cassock which looks very much like a bishop's/archbishop's soutane without the cape. However, the color of piping/lining/buttons on their cassock is also different.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Feb 15, '13, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Long ago the color of a bishop was green. According to the standards for the past couple of hundred years, red piping and buttons, as well as sash were worn except for funerals and penitential times, when purple was worn. Pope John XXIII reformed some of the dress of Bishops, Archbishops and Cardinals, and most (cardinals) no longer have trains, or train bearers, and few if any wear ermine. A few have started wearing the ferriolae again, (cape).

Both red and roman purple have the significance that a bishop is willing to sacrifice his life for our Lord and the Faith.
Old Feb 15, '13, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTradCath View Post
The various grades of monsignor wear a cassock which looks very much like a bishop's/archbishop's soutane without the cape. However, the color of piping/lining/buttons on their cassock is also different.
The differences between monsignori mark those who are honorary members of the Papal Household and those who actually work within the Vatican who hold a position within one of the official Congregations.
Old Feb 15, '13, 4:39 pm

Sadly vestment and cassock makers sometimes take liberties, and some of the clergy just go along with what is being sold, even if it does not follow the protocol of the Church.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism