Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 22, '13, 7:56 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Wedding program wording: communion

If you're having a wedding Mass in the Church, but a small minority of those in attendance not capable of taking communion, how do you word the program with regards to communion?

The considerations involved:

1. That those not capable of taking communion should not be encouraged to do so,

2. That some may have never seen communion, and thus be slightly confused as to whether to do as everyone else is doing, e.g. a non-Catholic Christian receives communion because everyone else is doing it and they don't know that they shouldn't.

3. While those not capable of taking communion should not be encouraged to do so, they should also not be given the false impression that the Church is an "exclusive club" that is closed off to them. Indeed, while the Church has rules about who can take communion, it also welcomes all to one day receive.

What do you think?
Old Feb 22, '13, 8:29 am

Default Re: Wedding program wording: communion

I have heard priests talk during the Mass to address this issue, but maybe also write something in the program...

Something like... "Those who do not wish to receive or who are not accustomed to regularly receiving Holy Eucharist at a Catholic Mass may either remain seated during the Eucharistic procession or may join in and cross their arms to indicate they would like to receive a blessing."

Talk to your priest about exactly how he'd like it worded... but maybe that's a good starting point...??

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Feb 22, '13, 8:30 am

Using the word "Eucharist" rather than "Communion" may help with the distinction.

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Feb 22, '13, 8:33 am

Why don't you consult with the priest to see if you should add this note?

If you do write this note, i would try to be conservative.

"Please kindly note, that unless you have received the Sacrament of the Eucharist by an ordained Catholic priest, you cannot receive the blessed host (Eucharist) presented at the end of mass. Thank you for your understanding."
Old Feb 22, '13, 8:38 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Born Latin Married a Byzantine

The inside many music missiles in Catholic parishes have a great explanation of this issue.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory Forever!
Old Feb 22, '13, 8:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal25 View Post
Why don't you consult with the priest to see if you should add this note?
It is not my wedding, but a friend's. I'm married already, I'm just helping him out with this. The Priest for the wedding is a lifelong friend who was recently promoted to be the director of vocations for my friend's Diocese, so he has about... ten minutes of free time a day, lol... he tries not to bother him too much. However, he (or I) could certainly ask another trusted Priest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em in Fl
I have heard priests talk during the Mass to address this issue, but maybe also write something in the program...

Something like... "Those who do not wish to receive or who are not accustomed to regularly receiving Holy Eucharist at a Catholic Mass may either remain seated during the Eucharistic procession or may join in and cross their arms to indicate they would like to receive a blessing."

Talk to your priest about exactly how he'd like it worded... but maybe that's a good starting point...??
Thanks, that is helpful.
Old Feb 22, '13, 8:44 am
Forum Elder

IMHO, this should be handled by the celebrant as he deems necessary.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 22, '13, 9:55 am
Banned

Religion: Laid back trad

The priest or deacon should address it at the beginning. They do it all the time, and if you put it in the invite, people will either forget or not understand at all and pester you with phone calls.
Old Feb 22, '13, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjconder View Post
The inside many music missiles in Catholic parishes have a great explanation of this issue.
Yep. We had this printed in our dd's wedding program.
Old Feb 22, '13, 10:03 am

For our wedding, we quoted what was written inside the missal and added it to our worship aide. "Please kneel during the communion procession if your health permits. (This was necessay because some parishes in Wisconsin, including the one where my husband formally worked, actually discourage kneeling during the Eucharistic prayer. ) Because Catholics believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, Holy Communion is reserved for fully practicing Catholics in good standing with the Church." The priest also made an announcement that those who were not able to recieve communion were invited to come up with their arms crossed and recieve a blessing.
Old Feb 22, '13, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_in_FL View Post

I think it's best if the priest does it too. That's how it's been done at the weddings I've been to.
Old Feb 22, '13, 10:06 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

If, God willing, I ever get married, I always thought I would like to give a brief explanation in the invitations. I'm not sure if this would be considered rude though... but I thought it would be the best way.

The ONLY Catholic wedding I ever went to the priest forgot to mention it when it was time to go up!!!! >.<

Thankfully, the bride had spoken to her non-Catholic family prior to the ceremony.
Old Feb 22, '13, 10:07 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
IMHO, this should be handled by the celebrant as he deems necessary.
I agree.

I don't understand the whole "Wedding Program" trend anyway.
Old Feb 22, '13, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
If, God willing, I ever get married, I always thought I would like to give a brief explanation in the invitations. I'm not sure if this would be considered rude though... but I thought it would be the best way.

The ONLY Catholic wedding I ever went to the priest forgot to mention it when it was time to go up!!!! >.<

Thankfully, the bride had spoken to her non-Catholic family prior to the ceremony.
Putting it in the invitation seems impractical to me, unless you think there are persons in your part who would not wish to attend if they knew they could not recieve communion. I say it is impractical because it is unlikely that the invitee will remember during the months between recieving the invitation and the actual wedding and also, invitees who are less familiar with the idea of Eucharist or Communion might be confused by such a statement and think they are not invited to the Mass, but only to the reception or something like that.
Old Feb 22, '13, 10:12 am

Our priest says, and it could be written as well, that "all Catholics in good standing are invited to come forward at this time to receive the Eucharist. All others who wish to receive a blessing may come forward with their arms folded."

I think it is brief, to the point, understandable, and polite.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life