Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 18, '05, 1:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Obtaining First Class Relics

I was wondering if someone here could describe the procedure for obtaining first class relics. Everyone I've spoken to told me to contact officials in Rome, but I've also heard that they only dispense relics to parishes for public veneration, not private. Does anyone know if it's still possible for individuals to obtain first class relics for private veneration? Thanks.
Old Sep 18, '05, 2:13 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Obtaining First Class Relics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcliffor
I was wondering if someone here could describe the procedure for obtaining first class relics. Everyone I've spoken to told me to contact officials in Rome, but I've also heard that they only dispense relics to parishes for public veneration, not private. Does anyone know if it's still possible for individuals to obtain first class relics for private veneration? Thanks.
The only time I obtained a first class relic was upon a visit to the shrine of St Elizabeth Ann Seton in Emmitsburg MD.

Not (yet ) a saint, but I know for a time the Knights of Columbus were making relics of Fr Michael J McGivney available, while his cause is being persued and miracles are being sought. (I do not know if they are still doing so)

tee
Old Sep 19, '05, 10:19 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Prometheum_x
Default Re: Obtaining First Class Relics

I'm sure you could find someone selling first class relics on EBay. Well, at least claiming to be selling them. . .
Old Sep 19, '05, 5:06 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_eff_em
. . .
Not (yet ) a saint, but I know for a time the Knights of Columbus were making relics of Fr Michael J McGivney available, while his cause is being persued and miracles are being sought. (I do not know if they are still doing so)

tee
The relics distributed in promoting the cause for sainthood are usually third class.
Old Sep 19, '05, 8:19 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley
The relics distributed in promoting the cause for sainthood are usually third class.
Indeed, a third-class relic will be sent to anyone joining the Fr McGivney Guild, but I haven't seen the availability of first-class relics lately. (They may still be available on a case by case basis)

tee
Old Sep 19, '05, 8:53 pm

Religion: Hard-core Papist Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcliffor
Does anyone know if it's still possible for individuals to obtain first class relics for private veneration? Thanks.
Why would you want have a private relic for the benefit of only one or two, when it could be made available for veneration and the spiritual benefit of a whole community?

I found this answer on the website of the Church of Santa Susanna, the English-speaking Catholic parish in Rome:
Quote:
9. My mother has a great devotion to the Little Flower, how can I get a relic of the saint for her birthday?
At one time, it was quite common to find a number of places in Rome that would allow you to acquire a relic. A relic can never be purchased because it is a holy object, but you would make an offering for the metal case in which it came. The largest collection of relics in Rome belongs to the Vatican and it kept at the Lateran. Actually they are kept at a small convent nearby. The practice of making relics available to the public ended more than ten years ago at the insistence of the Vatican. Today you can apply to this Reliquarium for a specific relic only with a Nihil Obstat or a letter of permission from your local bishop. You must also state that the relic is to be used for a church altar or other public religious purpose. The private ownership of relics is highly discouraged.
Old Sep 20, '05, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan S
Why would you want have a private relic for the benefit of only one or two, when it could be made available for veneration and the spiritual benefit of a whole community?
If it were possible to go to my parish church and venerate a first class relic, I would do that, but first class relics are few and far between. The only place I know of where one can actually pray before a relic is at the cathedral. I'm sure certain churches have reliquaries in their sacristies, but they rarely bring them out. Besides, it's not like I'd be taking a relic off of an altar. Relics given out for private veneration are not relics which would otherwise be used for public veneration.
Old Sep 20, '05, 2:09 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Cool Re: Obtaining First Class Relics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_eff_em
Indeed, a third-class relic will be sent to anyone joining the Fr McGivney Guild, but I haven't seen the availability of first-class relics lately. (They may still be available on a case by case basis)
My mistake.

By happy coincidence, I was cleaning out some old papers and found a 5-year-old edition of the McGivney Guild newsletter, which explains that they were distributing reliquaries containing second-class relics (fragments of the cassock Fr McGivney was wearing at the time of his burial), not first-class.

I repeat that I have not seen such offered in recent newsletters.

(And I presume that new guild members still receive a third-class relic -- I know I did)

tee
Old Oct 4, '07, 10:10 am
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheum_x View Post
I'm sure you could find someone selling first class relics on EBay. Well, at least claiming to be selling them. . .
I think you need to understand the terminology of a relic. A relic is a piece of the body, clothing, or material that a Saint used during their life on earth. Being that the saint used them makes them holy. By a decree by the Council of Trent it is sacreligious for relics of the Saints to be sold or bought, but in some cases it is llicit for one to be sold. For example if someone has a relic and is going to preform sacreligious acts with the relic it is licit to buy that relic from the person.
Old Aug 31, '08, 6:09 pm
Observing Member

Several years ago I was asked to come and pray with an elderly woman. Knowing I made rosaries for charities as well as mission rosaries, she offered me an old box full of religious articles, including many antique rosaries.

As I was looking through the box later that evening I found an old cross. I had seen this type of cross before when a child. A nun showed me. On the bottom of the small cross was a brass screw. When the screw is removed, the back of the cross opened to reveal a first class relic of a saint.

This particular cross contained a relic of St. Dominic. This relic is on view at every mass and prayer session.

My parish is the Good Shepard Mission in an area known as Whetstone, Arizona. (Southeastern Arizona, about twenty miles west of Tombstone on state highway 82, or a mile west of highway 90.) If you are ever in our area, please join us for Mass every Saturday evening at 6:30 pm local time, and every Tuesday evening at 6:00 pm for adoration.
Old Sep 1, '08, 5:53 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcliffor View Post
Frankly a private individual seeking to obtain a first class relic can only be doing so for selfish reasons. These relics should always be in the hands of the Church where they can be venerated by all.

Canon Law:

Can. 1190 1 It is absolutely wrong to sell sacred relics.

2 Distinguished relics, and others which are held in great veneration by the people, may not validly be in any way alienated nor transferred on a permanent basis, without the permission of the Apostolic See.
Old Oct 13, '08, 3:04 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheum_x View Post
Have you SEEN these? They claim to have some hair of the B.V.Mary, etc. the reliquaries are very old-looking...I wish I could find out who it is and convince them to STOP any way I could!
Old Oct 13, '08, 3:07 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Frankly a private individual seeking to obtain a first class relic can only be doing so for selfish reasons. These relics should always be in the hands of the Church where they can be venerated by all.

Canon Law:

Can. 1190 1 It is absolutely wrong to sell sacred relics.

2 Distinguished relics, and others which are held in great veneration by the people, may not validly be in any way alienated nor transferred on a permanent basis, without the permission of the Apostolic See.
Until only recently, according to numerous posts on EWTN Q&A, an individual could obtain a 1st class relic...the prohibition was for sizeable relics that fit the requirements for the altar...a recognizable part of the saint, not just any little speck..
Old Oct 13, '08, 5:09 pm

Dear McCliffor -

I noticed one poster replied with a link for a Church of Santa Anna in Rome. I'm not sure which Church it is but prior to a trip to Italy years ago, I'd learned about a Church in Rome where you could get relics. (So sorry that I can't recall the name of the Church.)

I went - and obtained (for a donation - the amount of which I can't recall) a number of first-class relics of saints, (St. Gemma being the only one who comes to mind at this moment...hence, I'm in agreement that perhaps we should leave these to the Churches for veneration. Mine remain boxed in a drawer. I used to take them out on All Saints' Day.) All were accompanied by certificates authenticating them. One was a tiny portion of Our Lady's veil. I was also told I could obtain a Relic of the True Cross but that would have to be mailed to me - which it was. Again, I believe all have certificates. The Relic of the True Cross is just a splinter.

I have a relic of (now) St. John Neumann (Philadelphia) who was at the time "Blessed", so I think it's easier to obtain these relics before canonization. I also obtained a tiny piece of (now) St. Padre Pio's glove - wool - I think I got it in San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy - but before he was even beatified to my recollection. Story, as I understood it, was that those who used to wash his bloodstained gloves would sometimes keep some - and perhaps, that's how these tiny fragments were obtained/available. (???)
Old Oct 13, '08, 5:18 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to SacredHeartFan

if it is a religious, then contact their order. if it is someone else contact rome.

Blessed Mother, Star of the Sea, Pray for us!

"If the Americans were as expert in spiritual
matters as they are in business affairs, all of
them would be saints!"
~Bl. Francis Xavier Seelos
www.seelos.org

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality