Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 2, '13, 2:39 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to fkpl
Default Roma Downey---devout Catholic?

I have been interested in the miniseries titled "The Bible" which will begin airing tomorrow night, March 3, 2013, on the History Channel.

This miniseries is being co-produced by Roma Downey and Mark Burnett, a married couple. In every reference to Roma Downey on the Internet that I have seen, she is always referred to as a "devout Catholic".

Well, I looked up the article on her in Wikipedia. According to that article, she has been married three times. Her marriage to Mr. Burnett (with whom she was apparently living at the time) was performed by her co-star on a TV show, Della Reese, a woman identified as being an ordained Protestant minister of some kind.

Of course it is possible that the Wikipedia article is incorrect (although I was able to confirm the information about Ms. Downey's marital status on several other websites). Ms. Downey's first marriage was apparently in the Catholic Church. I don't know about her second. It is possible Ms. Burnett's two prior marriages have been annulled and that she was given permission by the Archbishop of Los Angeles to marry Mr. Burnett in a Protestant ceremony.

Does anyone have any information about this matter? I am a little bothered about someone being constantly identified as a "devout Catholic" in the context of marketing promotions for a business enterprise. The situation could possibly result in a scandal that we certainly don't need.

It is not my intention here to be uncharitable to Ms. Downey. I'm more concerned in a "truth in advertising" sense.

Thanks for any information you are able to provide on this subject.
Old Mar 2, '13, 3:22 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Roma Downey---devout Catholic?

I read a recent interview and she said that she often wore a rosary under her outfit for the miniseries and that she has a devotion to Our Lady. Also, her daughter was recently confirmed (the article didn't state what church that was in). In any case I have two points to offer. One - maybe give her the benefit of the doubt and two - non catholic christians love Jesus too.
Old Mar 2, '13, 4:33 pm

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Provided without comment:

The Wikipedia article on Roma Downey states that Roma Downey in on her third marriage after two divorces, that the ceremony for this marriage took place in "their" home, that the officiant at the ceremony was Della Reese, and that Roma Downey is a devout Catholic.
Old Mar 2, '13, 4:54 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
Provided without comment:

The Wikipedia article on Roma Downey states that Roma Downey in on her third marriage after two divorces, that the ceremony for this marriage took place in "their" home, that the officiant at the ceremony was Della Reese, and that Roma Downey is a devout Catholic.
And, she seems to sincerely love Jesus. I know that Catholicism has many rules but let's not let legalities keep us from opportunities for Grace. I'm totally looking forward to the Bible miniseries that starts tomorrow.

Although, I may be coming from a more compassionate place. Because, I'm pretty sure that I'm a way worse sinner than she and I long and hunger for Grace. Sometimes it seems intimidating for ordinary sinners on this forum. Who can possibly live up to the standards set?

Something good has come along to be broadcast on tv. Just because something is not strictly Catholic doesn't necessarily mean that God is not happy about it.
Old Mar 2, '13, 6:09 pm

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter View Post
And, she seems to sincerely love Jesus. . . *snip*
. . . which is why I provided that information without content, and if I had actually read the OP, I would have known that I needn't have provided it at all; it was already provided. My apologies.
Old Mar 2, '13, 6:11 pm

Quote:
And, she seems to sincerely love Jesus. I know that Catholicism has many rules but let's not let legalities keep us from opportunities for Grace. I'm totally looking forward to the Bible miniseries that starts tomorrow.

Although, I may be coming from a more compassionate place. Because, I'm pretty sure that I'm a way worse sinner than she and I long and hunger for Grace. Sometimes it seems intimidating for ordinary sinners on this forum. Who can possibly live up to the standards set?
No one. But while I understand what you're saying, and I certainly am not pretending to have knowledge about the specific case being involved here (and think that we should take her at her word unless given reason to think otherwise), there is a difference between trying and failing to live up Christ's example, and not trying.

We have a problem these days with people claiming to be devout Catholics without even trying to pretend to agree with hardly any of what the Church teaches (except, maybe, that Jesus was cool). Because this is so wide spread, especially with public figures, it is a valid thing to be worried about: is this person claiming to be Catholic who is talking about the faith actually doing their best to be true to the faith or not? Can I, broadly speaking, trust what they say, or do I have to take it with a grain of salt?

So questions like this come up. While a Catholic in an invalid marriage obviously may still have great insights and be worth listening to, if they are simply ignoring this part of Church teaching it makes it unclear if what they are saying is generally correct.

Again, it doesn't mean we should avoid or ignore them. It is just a sign that we may need to be a bit careful in accepting everything they say at face value as true Catholic stuff.

And again, I am not saying and have no way to say whether or not Roma Downey falls in this category.

Quote:
Something good has come along to be broadcast on tv. Just because something is not strictly Catholic doesn't necessarily mean that God is not happy about it.
True. It would be better if everything was 100% correct on all doctrinal matters, of course, but especially in the confused world we are in, people who are mistaken on some issues can certainly bring people closer to God.
Old Mar 2, '13, 6:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am hoping this series will reach a lot of viewers in need of conversion and strengthen faith in all of us.
Old Mar 2, '13, 8:52 pm

Quote:
I read a recent interview and she said that she often wore a rosary under her outfit for the miniseries and that she has a devotion to Our Lady. Also, her daughter was recently confirmed (the article didn't state what church that was in). In any case I have two points to offer. One - maybe give her the benefit of the doubt and two - non catholic christians love Jesus too.
You completely and utterly misunderstand my post.

Whether or not Ms. Downey "loves Jesus" is not relevant to the inquiry in question.

The issue is whether she is living in a state of mortal sin while at the same time hypocritically claiming to be a "devout Catholic". This is particularly troubling in the context of commercial marketing activities. My concern is whether she may be involved in scandal that may be used to harm the Church.

Did you not see my express disclaimer of of uncharitable intent in the email?

I made no allegations in my post. I only asked for information. Your two posts were completely unresponsive. Forget about the saccharine sentimentality.

I suspect you are not a Catholic. Indeed, for your sake I pray you're not.

There was no lack of charity in my original post. There may be some here but your thinly disguised---and completely unwarranted----criticism merits it.
Old Mar 3, '13, 12:23 pm
Trial Membership

While I understand your point, we must remember that we do not know what goes on between Mrs. Burnett and our Heavenly Father. She may receive the sacrament of penance weekly. We do not know and are not permitted to judge her or anyone. Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Remember, they know we are Christians by our love. As CathChristianwe are charged with loving everyone, especially during the Lenten season.
Old Mar 3, '13, 4:38 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkpl View Post

Wow.

There was no lack of charity in my original post. There may be some here but your thinly disguised---and completely unwarranted----criticism merits it.

I didn't think grasscutter was accusing you of a lack of charity, necessarily. I read her posts as encouragement to greater charity. Practicing greater charity is something we all need to strive to do; even if relative to other people we are not lacking in charity, in comparison to God we all are. Why be offended if someone tries to encourage us to be more loving than we already are? I'll take that encouragement myself.
But God does not take away life; instead He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him. II Samuel 14:14

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old Mar 4, '13, 10:12 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to calasc

There are many people who are sinner's and yet are devout believers in the Church and it's teaching's. What is important, is that you be aware of your sin's and seek forgiveness.
The Lord know's we are not perfect,but as long as we strive for perfection,Jesus will alway's be at our side. God Bless Roma and her Husband for spreading the Good News.
Old Mar 4, '13, 12:15 pm

Quote:

Woah, calm down.

And his/her religion is listed as Catholic.
Old Mar 4, '13, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPseudonym View Post
Woah, calm down.

And his/her religion is listed as Catholic.

Yes, I regret that line and tried to delete it after reflection but was too late.

He/she may list him/herself as Catholic but that is not fully descriptive. I'd say "Catholic with Indifferentist and Antinomian Tendencies" would be more accurate.
Old Mar 4, '13, 12:21 pm

Religion: Anglican Catholic Church

You can't be a devout Catholic living in the state of grave sin. I think the word "devout" is overused by many Christians and especially the liberal media (who usually have no clue.)
Old Mar 4, '13, 12:55 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Yes, I regret that line and tried to delete it after reflection but was too late.

He/she may list him/herself as Catholic but that is not fully descriptive. I'd say "Catholic with Indifferentist and Antinomian Tendencies" would be more accurate.
That's a good one, untrue but still good. I was actually tempted to change my religion tag to "suspected of not being a Catholic". No hard feelings on my part and I hope there are none on yours.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence