Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 7, '13, 9:56 am

Religion: Catholic
Default HGTV shows like HouseHunters and Property Brothers

I've noticed lately that these shows about couples trying to find a home are featuring more and more same sex couples. Am I reading too much into it, or are a lot of networks pushing the same sex agenda stronger? Obviously shows like Glee and Modern Family are blatant about it, but it just seems to be more than ever, especially when they mention same sex marriage in these shows and when they refer to them as spouses.

Am I coming across as judgmental? I'm trying not to, because I have friends who are homosexual, yet I still accept them as friends. Though I doubt, based on what some post on facebook and such, if they would view me in the same light since I don't share their views on same sex marriage...

sorry if this post jumped around, Just thinking about an episode of Property Brothers that came on last night and some posts I saw on Facebook today and they kind of melded together.
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:07 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: HGTV shows like HouseHunters and Property Brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Ninja View Post
I've noticed lately that these shows about couples trying to find a home are featuring more and more same sex couples. Am I reading too much into it, or are a lot of networks pushing the same sex agenda stronger? Obviously shows like Glee and Modern Family are blatant about it, but it just seems to be more than ever, especially when they mention same sex marriage in these shows and when they refer to them as spouses.

Am I coming across as judgmental? I'm trying not to, because I have friends who are homosexual, yet I still accept them as friends. Though I doubt, based on what some post on facebook and such, if they would view me in the same light since I don't share their views on same sex marriage...

sorry if this post jumped around, Just thinking about an episode of Property Brothers that came on last night and some posts I saw on Facebook today and they kind of melded together.
It's interesting that you bring this up.

Just last weekend, I was watching HGTV while working out in the hotel gym (I was staying there for a skating competition) A gentleman was also working out, and we struck up a conversation, and he said pretty much the same thing you said in your post. His beef was that since homosexuals only make up about 1-3% (5-10% if you listen to certain statisticians) of the population, why do they make up about 50% of the "couples" on HGTV shows?!!

His comments made sense to me!

So it seems fair enough that if a show on HGTV does about 20 shows per season (just guessing--I don't have cable, so I have no idea how many episodes of Property Bros. are done each season), then no more than one (1) of the featured couples should be homosexual. That's about 5%, which is close enough (kind of) to 1-3%.

Now of course, the percentage of homosexual couples might increase in certain cities. But unless all the season's shows are done in cities with high percentages of homosexual couples, then I think that sticking to 1-3% (or maybe 5-10%) makes logical sense.

Of course, maybe people are more willing to tune in to watch a homosexual couple instead of a heterosexual couple?
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:15 am
Prayer Warrior

I watch these shows as I like to be a DIY remodeler. Both my husband and I have noticed a great increase in SS couples on many of these shows. If you were to guess how many SS couples there were in N America based on these shows you would think it was 50-60%. Frequently the shows are based in Canada and I believe they are a lot more open to this than we are as a country. But, with our own President planning to go to bat at the SCOTUS over SSM we will probably be seeing this even more than we do already.
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:19 am

I've noticed it as well. But it may or may not be a push...it could just be those are the types of couples that are auditioning to be on the shows now. House Hunters came under scrutiny last year for their practices, perhaps not as many traditional couples/families are wanting to be on the shows anymore.
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:19 am

For me, it just seems a bit more within the last year to year and a half where every other episode was a same sex couple. Perhaps people are more interested in watching that type of couple.I find it hard to watch, though, I also find it hard to watch when it's not a married couple, but a boyfriend and girlfriend buying a house together, or one is buying the house and the other is basically moving in, and they are buying a single bedroom house or condo or whatever.
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:24 am

Quote:
For me, it just seems a bit more within the last year to year and a half where every other episode was a same sex couple. Perhaps people are more interested in watching that type of couple.I find it hard to watch, though, I also find it hard to watch when it's not a married couple, but a boyfriend and girlfriend buying a house together, or one is buying the house and the other is basically moving in, and they are buying a single bedroom house or condo or whatever.
I didn't notice it was that often. We usually see if its an episode we watch to watch every night at 10pm, I haven't noticed us having to change that channel for this reason more than once or twice in the past month or so.
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:30 am

Maybe I'm over exaggerating it, because it was on last night, but I think within the past week, about 1/2 of the episodes I saw were with a same sex couple. Though, that is a relatively small sample group. For whatever reason, it just seemed like a lot. I don't find I have to change the channel so much, as it just seems more prevalent lately.
I still enjoy the shows, because I like seeing what types of homes are available, especially with House Hunters International. Not that I'd ever be able to afford a vacation home in Tuscany or Maui or other exotic get away.
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:32 am

Quote:
Maybe I'm over exaggerating it, because it was on last night, but I think within the past week, about 1/2 of the episodes I saw were with a same sex couple. Though, that is a relatively small sample group. For whatever reason, it just seemed like a lot. I don't find I have to change the channel so much, as it just seems more prevalent lately.
I still enjoy the shows, because I like seeing what types of homes are available, especially with House Hunters International. Not that I'd ever be able to afford a vacation home in Tuscany or Maui or other exotic get away.
We like the international shows more now as well, for the exact reasons that we'll probably never live in some those locations and its neat to see what housing is like in other countries. The houses on the shows in the US all start to blur at some point.
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceA View Post
We like the international shows more now as well, for the exact reasons that we'll probably never live in some those locations and its neat to see what housing is like in other countries. The houses on the shows in the US all start to blur at some point.
Exactly, or I'm thinking, why would anyone pay $200,000 or more for a 2 bedroom 1 bath house, but then again they would be in California somewhere. I mostly like to guess which house they will pick.
Old Mar 7, '13, 10:54 am

I believe the writers and the managers of the media alike, largely believe that the dignity of same sex marriage is one of those "truisms", like male/female equality, black/white equality, that should be pushed in order to create a better, fairer, more tolerant society. There is probably, also, an element of advertising the gay community as a legitimate class of people and encouragement to participate in it if one has any feelings in that direction. It is wholly anti-Christian. It has no sense of the gravely sinful nature of the gay lifestyle. It's just more of that false secular notion of the brotherhood of man apart from Christ. There is a saying that a half truth is like a half brick-- you can throw it twice as far. And indeed they are throwing this half-truth more and more and everywhere you look. True, the man or woman with a same sex orientation is our brother or sister, but, false, the practice of same sex sex is not legitimate, it is gravely sinful.

It is also a marketing strategy. There is a huge market to tap among the gay community together with the left wing progressives who align themselves with their cause. But I think that if it were a marketing strategy alone, it would not be as appealing as programming that did not seek to make any statement one way or another, for example a show that recognized gays no more than they are present percentage-wise in the actual population.

In some shows, like those that involve some sort of artistic talent, I can see that the presence of gays might be more prevalent than straights, for example, interior decorating, hair design, clothing makeovers, etc. These professions, I think, draw more than their share of gays, and these type shows probably appeal to gays in larger numbers than other shows. But it's just larger numbers, there is nothing inherently wrong with these professions. I like interior decorator shows, mainly because I am so lacking in talent in this area, and enjoy learning about ways to improve my home. Being artistic is nothing to be ashamed of-- it's neither here nor there that the arts often attract persons who live and profess sinful lifestyles. This has been my observation, anyway-- your views may vary.
Old Mar 7, '13, 11:07 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

The 1-3% number is correct, but among the younger people polled, they think the number is 25% or more.
Old Mar 7, '13, 11:22 am

Isn't House Hunters a Canadian produced show? That explains a lot.

Also, House Hunters was recently revealed to be completely rigged and staged. Many of the homes purchased were already decided upon and bought before the cameras even showed up.
Old Mar 7, '13, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide View Post
Isn't House Hunters a Canadian produced show? That explains a lot.

Also, House Hunters was recently revealed to be completely rigged and staged. Many of the homes purchased were already decided upon and bought before the cameras even showed up.
I believe it is, same as Property Virgins and some of the others ones. Though, they have episodes all over the country. I've seen some episodes featuring homes in Atlanta. A lot of the shows do seem staged, especially Love it or List It, I can't stand the show for that reason, it is painfully obviously staged. I don't really mind that the shows are rigged or what not, but Love it or List It is a bit over the top.
Old Mar 7, '13, 12:15 pm

Quote:
I believe it is, same as Property Virgins and some of the others ones. Though, they have episodes all over the country. I've seen some episodes featuring homes in Atlanta. A lot of the shows do seem staged, especially Love it or List It, I can't stand the show for that reason, it is painfully obviously staged. I don't really mind that the shows are rigged or what not, but Love it or List It is a bit over the top.
Love It or List It is Canadian. House Hunters is American.

Its never really bothered me that most of these shows are "staged", because I wouldn't get to see what housing is like in other parts of the US or Canada otherwise. What bothers me though is the people that have budgets that are close to $1 million or so and nitpik over the dumbest stuff.
Old Mar 7, '13, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceA View Post
Love It or List It is Canadian. House Hunters is American.

Its never really bothered me that most of these shows are "staged", because I wouldn't get to see what housing is like in other parts of the US or Canada otherwise. What bothers me though is the people that have budgets that are close to $1 million or so and nitpik over the dumbest stuff.
True, my favorite thought is, "wouldn't that be nice to have a budget where my main concern is whether or not to buy the house with hardwood floors or the one without and just put them in." But the people on the show are like, "nahh, that's a deal breaker." when their budget is $1 million but the house list price may be $650,000. that's a nice problem to have. But then again, I'm happy with what I've got.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media