Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 10, '13, 12:55 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Facebook

So I use facebook to communicate with mainly friends. There are certain things people I'm "friends" with post that are not very moral at all. What would your advice be? Should I avoid facebook because it may be an occasion to sin or should I continue using it?
Old Mar 10, '13, 1:40 pm

Religion: RCIA Student.
Default Re: Facebook

Facebook like all things can carry dangers, violations of your private life etc. It is a very useful tool when used correctly, the networking advantages are great for example if a Catholic group was set up and well moderated then serious and valuable discussions can be carried out. Someone once said the best communication can happen when everyone is active in one place.

As with everything proceed with caution as there are immoral actions taking place there, just remember your faith and you should be fine, avoid discussion with anything considered immoral or may bring sin into the equation.
Old Mar 10, '13, 1:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Although I am we'll aware of several CAF members opinions on FB, I use it also daily. I see instant pictures of my dear friends and family that live far and wide. I share funny cartoons, inspirational messages and many other positive postings from my friends. However, I hide those who post possible questionable material or simply unfriend anyone who compromises this positive activity for me. You have a variety of ways to accomplish this depending on your operating system.
Old Mar 10, '13, 1:47 pm

There is (or was, when I was active on FB) an option to "hide" or "show" posts from any given Friend, and they won't know.
Old Mar 10, '13, 1:47 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

You can change your privacy settings on facebook so that posts from those people will not appear in your newsfeed.
Help us to follow our
Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Amen.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux
Old Mar 10, '13, 2:22 pm

Religion: Catholic (Of Course!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanom View Post
So I use facebook to communicate with mainly friends. There are certain things people I'm "friends" with post that are not very moral at all. What would your advice be? Should I avoid facebook because it may be an occasion to sin or should I continue using it?
Use at your own risk. It is of course a wonderful pedestal to evangelize from. But I have been up and down with Facebook for years. I have deactivated/reactivated my account several times. The last 3 times I have deactivated the account I have put Facebook = satan in the box you put your reason for leaving in.
Old Mar 10, '13, 3:09 pm

I use Facebook almost daily, both as a way to keep up with friends and as a way to evangelize. For those friends who post improper things, you can stop following their newsfeeds in your privacy settings so that you no longer see their updates, but still allow them to see yours. As with all things...use with caution.

Husband to my wonderful "mrs ahs" and daddy to 4 beauties
Visit my blog: "A Humble Servant's Catholic Blog"
Old Mar 10, '13, 6:03 pm

Religion: catholic

The whole world can be "not very moral" but you don't hide out in your house. Try to let it not affect you and use Facebook to keep relationships.
Old Mar 10, '13, 11:18 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

use it to evangelize them

and the more they post immoral stuff , then you should overwhelm them with religious links and pictures and comments on their photos and wall

Totally kidding about trolling them

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Mar 11, '13, 9:58 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have no desirous aptitude for social media gossip sites like Facebook or Twitter.
Closed my account two years ago partly because I hardly ever logged on and thought it was just a nonsical frivolous time waster.

I mean really; how does one really compartmentalized true friendship behind the electronic wizardry of a PC circuit board and screen with mere communicated printed words.

When Facebook started in 2004 a million users signed up. By 2011 750 million. Now...in excess of One Billion users.

People have nothing better to do than sit behind a computer and talk to people they barely know on their Wall just to feel good about themselves that they've tallied over 500 friends on their Wall and in essence really only know a handful.

80% of real person to person communication is transmitted via body language. Social Networks can't replace real serious friendship amongst friends and family who live nearby within a reasonable distance. It's unbelievable the kind of trash and dirty laundry people post on their Facebook Walls. And what Security Risks, like Identity Theft and other personal information inadvertantly shared on a persons Facebook page do people not think could lead them in serious trouble or worse Victims from lurking Crime predators of any game per chance you wouldn't give a second thought to. I can count numerous reasons why I don't favor popular Social Media Gossip Zones.

I liken Facebook today to the New Form of Reality TV. Or at least someones idea of an illusionary reality that could lead to being someone's nightmare. Too Dramatic?
Think Again.

Peace
Chris
Old Mar 12, '13, 9:45 pm

Thank you for asking this question. The same has been on my mind especially of late following on the attack by a friend on the Catholic Church. She is a lapsed Catholic gone over to Anglicanism who sees the Church as a "gang of criminals". In defending the priesthood and my faith I found myself becoming increasingly hurt and frustrated. I wondered whether there was any point to carrying on a discussion with someone who so obviously was more interested in being right (thinking she was anyway) than the truth. The final straw was her sarcastic promise to pray for my "conversion to Christianity". If during our debate I were offered a single word of encouragement I might feel differently but not one person said they agreed with my points. In fact, anyone who did comment seemed to be completely in agreement with my nemesis. It isn't that I am unwilling to suffer for Christ's sake but I really question whether getting into the whole thing was fruitful in any way.
Old Mar 13, '13, 4:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapamadame View Post
Thank you for asking this question. The same has been on my mind especially of late following on the attack by a friend on the Catholic Church. She is a lapsed Catholic gone over to Anglicanism who sees the Church as a "gang of criminals". In defending the priesthood and my faith I found myself becoming increasingly hurt and frustrated. I wondered whether there was any point to carrying on a discussion with someone who so obviously was more interested in being right (thinking she was anyway) than the truth. The final straw was her sarcastic promise to pray for my "conversion to Christianity". If during our debate I were offered a single word of encouragement I might feel differently but not one person said they agreed with my points. In fact, anyone who did comment seemed to be completely in agreement with my nemesis. It isn't that I am unwilling to suffer for Christ's sake but I really question whether getting into the whole thing was fruitful in any way.
The founder of facebook is not very ethical, he took code illegally from professors and signed up fellow students without asking their permission. The privacy policy is probably changing frequently and there is the issue of privacy settings potentially getting lost. Worse, people tend to put too much personal information on facebook which opens them up to attack. I've had relatives use facebook in embarassing ways.

The two times I was on facebook I wanted to find something out about someone I actually knew. One time it blew up in my face. The other time I suppose it revealed to me that my relationship with the person was truly over.

Famous people often use facebook, but the popparazzi can read the postings. Don't put anything on facebook you wouldn't say to a total stranger on the street, because you are saying it to a total stranger(s).

I understand that families like to use facebook to communicate and share pictures, but this is a huge mistake in my opinion.

A major gripe I have about facebook having not logged in for a very long time, a year, my account still exists.

I find that religion and politics in most forums on the Net blows up in your face. Sometimes you have to simply say, "I am not going to discuss religion with you, goodbye." Better to pray for the person than it is to get upset. Choose your battles carefully, and trust that God has a plan for fallen away Catholics. Every person has a right to preserve their own peace of mind where it takes a minimum of two people to have an argument/fight. Sometimes you will be the only person in an argument/fight who can walk away. If the person in question only intends to hurt you and is not open to reason, then by all means distance yourself. Where you are at in life, this fight may not be something you can take on. It is okay to say, "God, I can't do anything about this, please take care of it."

If this is someone you have romantic feelings for or could develop romantic feelings for, run! This person isn't right for you right now and may never be right for you.

There is a depression danger, facebook can warp your views on whether or not you have friends. Do you want potential employers reading transcripts of your "friends" arguing with you about religion? The Internet doesn't forget, something to consider carefully before using any social media. At a minimum, give her time to cool off. Try a month at least.
Old Mar 13, '13, 5:32 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nute View Post
I find that religion and politics in most forums on the Net blows up in your face.
Many people use any social media, FB included, to use it as a sounding board for religion and politics. I have no problem with it, provided it is respectful. I've deleted more than a few people that are simply disrespectful in such discussions; e.g., posting "Republicans hate America" at the end of every post. Funny thing is, it's been my experience that these people in real life are simply cowards. They never talk like this, because people in "real life" will give it back to them.

I use FB specifically for networking. It is excellent for people with large families spread out all over the country/world. It's also good for people with hobbies such as myself. Because of FB, I always know what is going in, say, the local martial art community. I know about all sort of event and tournaments that I would've never known about prior to social media.
Old Mar 14, '13, 5:33 pm

Should you avoid Facebook? ...IMHO YES!

We live in a time in history where the loss of the sense of sin endangers our immortal souls. The Post-Modern secularist worldview permeates your surroundings and each of us is in danger of being influenced even before conscious perception of it happening. It is increasingly more difficult to live in this world without becoming OF it. Many do not realize the seriousness of the peril.

Disconnect the cable/satellite and TURN OFF the TV as well. You already know it is rife with ideology incompatible with the worldview you profess. It daily bombards you with propaganda that is contrary to God and his precepts. It aggressively spoonfeeds. You passively consume.

Quote:
The founder of facebook is not very ethical, he took code illegally from professors and signed up fellow students without asking their permission.
I didn't see the film until after I closed my Facebook acount. But the people who still run it are "Progressives" intent on social engineering. Their decisions reflect this. They allow messages that support their worldview and block or remove those that do not

Quote:
A major gripe I have about facebook having not logged in for a very long time, a year, my account still exists.
Simply deactivating is not enough. You must specifically request them to remove your account. Even then, they have a "waiting period" before they proceed. They taunt/tempt/seduce you with the very contacts/friends that the system tracks in order to remind you of who you are "leaving behind" and badger you with the fear of loss... that you will be "out of touch"... a veritable pariah.
Old Mar 14, '13, 9:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovsmyth View Post
Should you avoid Facebook? ...IMHO YES!

We live in a time in history where the loss of the sense of sin endangers our immortal souls. The Post-Modern secularist worldview permeates your surroundings and each of us is in danger of being influenced even before conscious perception of it happening. It is increasingly more difficult to live in this world without becoming OF it. Many do not realize the seriousness of the peril.

Disconnect the cable/satellite and TURN OFF the TV as well. You already know it is rife with ideology incompatible with the worldview you profess. It daily bombards you with propaganda that is contrary to God and his precepts. It aggressively spoonfeeds. You passively consume.
Facebook is what you make it. There are people on FB that use it specifically for religious purposes; I see nothing wrong with that. If there are "friends" on FB that are offensive, defriend them. It's your page; not theirs.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology