Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 11, '13, 3:15 pm

Default What is god

Is god pure intelligence will, mind, feeling or what? Does he have a soul and if so anything like ours? Any philosophers welcome or course from the church would be good but I'm willing to seek all for this answer.
Old Mar 11, '13, 3:34 pm

Religion: Catholic, formerly a practical atheist for about 25 years
Default Re: What is god

What is God?

Only God knows!
Old Mar 11, '13, 3:41 pm

Religion: RCIA Student.

God is the supreme spirit, who alone exists of himself, and is infinite in all perfections.

God is the fullness of Being and of every perfection, without origin and without end. All creatures receive all that they are and have from him; but he alone is his very being, and he is of himself everything that he is.

God is truth, God is love, God is light.
Old Mar 11, '13, 3:43 pm

Religion: Almost Catholic...

The Bible says "God is love" and also that he is "the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end."
That's all I can think of off the top. But keep in mind that God is a lot greater than we human's are, and we can't really understand Him, or explain Him. In fact there's a legend about this. http://www.traditioninaction.org/rel...5rp.Shell.html
God bless you
Grace
Old Mar 11, '13, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaevans View Post
God is the supreme spirit, who alone exists of himself, and is infinite in all perfections.

God is the fullness of Being and of every perfection, without origin and without end. All creatures receive all that they are and have from him; but he alone is his very being, and he is of himself everything that he is.

God is truth, God is love, God is light.
I have read in Jewish mysticism and others. That the is a dormancy period of some kind where god sleeps and creation is naught. Then when he awakes he thinks "Where is everyone" And what was there comes back and begins on the next creation. Well sounds good to me.
Old Mar 11, '13, 4:04 pm

Religion: RCIA Student.

Awesome, that is out of the Catechism by the way.
Old Mar 11, '13, 5:17 pm

Religion: catholic

[quote=Charlemagne II;10471268]What is God?

Only God knows![/QUOTE

Old Mar 11, '13, 5:44 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne II View Post
What is God?

Only God knows!

I'd add: God is And as for philosophers, someone may want to check out the first book of Summa contra Gentiles by s. Thomas Aquinas
Old Mar 13, '13, 9:57 am

Religion: Catholic

God is pure Act. Pure Being. He is entirely simple and immutable, not subject to change and not divisible in any way, not even philosophically divisible into distinctions like essence vs. existence. He is thus the one being that is not contingent upon any other thing to exist, but exists of Himself. Every other thing is given its existence by Him.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Mar 13, '13, 11:54 am

Religion: fellow Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcu1 View Post
Is god pure intelligence will, mind, feeling or what? Does he have a soul and if so anything like ours? Any philosophers welcome or course from the church would be good but I'm willing to seek all for this answer.
The primary definition of “God” from Merriam-Webster is, "the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe." And the Bible says that God is not a "what" but a "who"; that He is self-existent (which is to say that God has no origins and that His existence doesn't depend on anyone or anything); that He created and sustains the universe; and that He is the standard by which we measure everything else.
Old Mar 13, '13, 5:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofaraw View Post
Pure intelligence is a good start. My favorite complete concept is that God is a consortium of beings that were brought into existence as the result of a cosmic sideswipe between spaces with opposite properties, long before the universe came into existence.

None of these entities were initially conscious. "God" consists of a group (at least two) of them which together derived consciousness without outside assistance, after which, over time, they developed very high intelligence, probably originally in the form of mathematical understanding.

Thus this God concept is plural, exactly as was the God of the Old Testament. (Elohim is a plural word.)

God are (sounds strange, doesn't it?) physical (not material) and capable of interacting with the universe they created via an ability to contravene the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, temporarily of course. God does not have souls--- they are what you would call souls and which the philosopher Descartes called mind.

God are limited by logic and by the laws of physics, even to a large extent by the time-dependent laws that they created.
Correct. Eloha is the singular. I've never quite heard it put the way you have does this come from kabbala? If that's welcome here I definately welcome it! Rene Descartes was one of the greats!
Old Mar 13, '13, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofaraw View Post
Pure intelligence is a good start. My favorite complete concept is that God is a consortium of beings that were brought into existence as the result of a cosmic sideswipe between spaces with opposite properties, long before the universe came into existence.

None of these entities were initially conscious. "God" consists of a group (at least two) of them which together derived consciousness without outside assistance, after which, over time, they developed very high intelligence, probably originally in the form of mathematical understanding.

Thus this God concept is plural, exactly as was the God of the Old Testament. (Elohim is a plural word.)

God are (sounds strange, doesn't it?) physical (not material) and capable of interacting with the universe they created via an ability to contravene the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, temporarily of course. God does not have souls--- they are what you would call souls and which the philosopher Descartes called mind.

God are limited by logic and by the laws of physics, even to a large extent by the time-dependent laws that they created.
I thought God(s) was outside of time ? When we go to mass we are taken outside of time and to the cross as I believe all events are happening or are outside of time I am not sure which.
Old Mar 14, '13, 12:07 am
Trial Membership

Religion: A Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcu1 View Post

Greetings to you my friend,

Human can't determine the components of God, since God is beyond our knowledge.But we can understand what God is not. God is a pure clean without any stain of evilness, Just imagine the thought that God is the source of everything and everyone. If we are too amaze of what we can see as beautiful, how come God's image? Indeed the word beautiful is not enough to do for him. There are some articles that I've read a long time ago saying that God was possibly an alien like with super powers that lives outside of this planet earth and he live in another planet. lol Sounds fictitious but believe me our teacher told that story too and I'm quite shock that he is serious on that.

Someday we can possibly see him personally and your question will be answered completely there in heaven

-je
Old Mar 14, '13, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Slayer View Post
Greetings to you my friend,

Human can't determine the components of God, since God is beyond our knowledge.But we can understand what God is not. God is a pure clean without any stain of evilness, Just imagine the thought that God is the source of everything and everyone. If we are too amaze of what we can see as beautiful, how come God's image? Indeed the word beautiful is not enough to do for him. There are some articles that I've read a long time ago saying that God was possibly an alien like with super powers that lives outside of this planet earth and he live in another planet. lol Sounds fictitious but believe me our teacher told that story too and I'm quite shock that he is serious on that.

Someday we can possibly see him personally and your question will be answered completely there in heaven

-je
I think it might depend on what you mean by god when you say a alien race. Zachariah Sitchin has some good writings on that but as we are speaking about god, a one indivisable "thing" if "thingness" applies to god and I don't think it does. The first mover I guess it is beyond our conception. Now wether some "prehistoric" version of us was here and aliens "creators" came and mixed themselves with "prehistorics" to get us. Thats plausible to me but another story.

Old Mar 15, '13, 9:31 am

Religion: Agnostic Atheist

If he exists, the classical view is that he's a totally different substance from us, so, we can't really say much at all.

Some people think we can assign properties to him and he actually has those properties as we understand them (All powerful, all knowing, etc).

Particularly in some strands of Jewish thought, some think we can only talk of what God is in negative terms (God is not a chair, God is not wholly evil, etc).

Others yet again think we can't say anything that actually corresponds to God's true nature. Kant made this distinction. We can never see or understand things as they actually are. For example, a colour-blind friend and I are looking at the *very same* painting and yet we see very different things. Our knowledge and reality of the painting is coloured by our senses, thinking and interpretation, it is not how the painting actually is. So, the distinction is between things as we perceive them (phenomena) and things as they actually are (noumena). We can apply this to God as well.

Finally, some people think there is a problem with assigning properties to God. It's more of a medieval/scholastic idea though. If something has constituent parts or properties, that thing is dependent on its parts or properties, moreso, it is dependent on them to be what it is. If God has the property of perfection, God is dependent on perfection to be God. This clashed with their view of God as an absolutely independent being. This has several side-effects as well though, some can be quite unpleasant which is why i suspect it isn't a popular idea anymore.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy