Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 15, '13, 2:36 pm

Default Pope Francis (Bergoglio) Criticised Pope Benedict XVI?

Quote:
In 2005, then Pope Benedict, while quoting from an obscure medieval text, declared that the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Islamic faith, was "evil and inhuman", enraging the Muslim population and causing attacks on churches throughout the world before an apology was issued.

Reacting within days to the statements, speaking through a spokesman to Newsweek Argentina, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio declared his "unhappiness" with the statements, made at the University of Regensburg in Germany, and encouraged many of his subordinates with the Church to do the same.

"Pope Benedict's statement don't reflect my own opinions", the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires declared. "These statements will serve to destroy in 20 seconds the careful construction of a relationship with Islam that Pope John Paul II built over the last twenty years".

The Vatican reacted quickly, removing one subordinate, Joaquín Piña the Archbishop of Puerto Iguazú from his post within four days of his making similar statements to the Argentine national media, sending a clear statement to Cardinal Bergoglio that he would be next should he choose to persist.

Reacting to the threats from Rome, Cardinal Bergoglio cancelled his plans to fly to Rome, choosing to boycott the second synod that Pope Benedict had called during his tenure as pontiff.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...-Mohammed.html
Is this true? Any thoughts?

I know Pope Benedict XVI didn't mean to cause offense and his words were taken out of context. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice noted the Pontiff's "love of humanity," and said: "We all need to understand that offense can sometimes be taken when perhaps we don't see it."
Old Mar 15, '13, 2:46 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Pope Francis (Bergoglio) Criticised Pope Benedict XVI?

My thought is to stop reading the Telegraph. Everything I've seen from them recently has been sensationalistic - claims that are not clearly attributed.
Old Mar 15, '13, 2:50 pm

Religion: Catholic

It seems as if If all hell has broken loose because of the selection that has been made in Pope Francis. Just look at all of the threads popping up with this or that rumor causing some disturbance among the Faithful trying to get us to engage in spreading rumors that can kill a person's good character. Must be a good sign.
Old Mar 15, '13, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zab View Post
It seems as if If all hell has broken loose because of the selection that has been made in Pope Francis. Just look at all of the threads popping up with this or that rumor causing some disturbance among the Faithful trying to get us to engage in spreading rumors that can kill a person's good character. Must be a good sign.
Well I think it's only here since most of the mainstream media, social media and general public have displayed overwhelming support for the new Pope.
Old Mar 15, '13, 2:58 pm
Forum Elder

Which side is the Spanish Inquisition?
Old Mar 15, '13, 2:59 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPUSC View Post

I know Pope Benedict XVI didn't mean to cause offense and his words were taken out of context. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice noted the Pontiff's "love of humanity," and said: "We all need to understand that offense can sometimes be taken when perhaps we don't see it."
Rice is ambassador to the Unite Nations, not Secretary of State (thank God!)
Old Mar 15, '13, 3:08 pm

I have to admit all of the threads popping up have me concerned. It seems to me as if people are looking for a reason to worry about Pope Francis. Just my impression. The man is solidly orthodox, humble, and devout. We don't need to worry.
Old Mar 15, '13, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentMI View Post
I have to admit all of the threads popping up have me concerned. It seems to me as if people are looking for a reason to worry about Pope Francis. Just my impression. The man is solidly orthodox, humble, and devout. We don't need to worry.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Mar 15, '13, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Rays View Post
Wrong Rice. You may be thinking of Susan.
Old Mar 15, '13, 3:19 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Not on your question, but didn't violent reaction of fundy Islam prove the pope's point for him?
Old Mar 15, '13, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Rays View Post
In 2005, Condoleezza Rice was the Secretary of State. I'd much rather have her than her successor, Ms. Clinton.

As another poster has pointed out, Susan Rice is the Ambassador to the UN.

--Jen
Old Mar 15, '13, 3:28 pm

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Lightbulb Re: Pope Francis (Bergoglio) Criticised Pope Benedict XVI?

Quote:

QUOTE from OP:

Quote:
In 2005, then Pope Benedict, while quoting from an obscure medieval text, declared that the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Islamic faith, was "evil and inhuman", enraging the Muslim population and causing attacks on churches throughout the world before an apology was issued.

Reacting within days to the statements, speaking through a spokesman to Newsweek Argentina, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio declared his "unhappiness" with the statements, made at the University of Regensburg in Germany, and encouraged many of his subordinates with the Church to do the same.

"Pope Benedict's statement don't reflect my own opinions", the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires declared. "These statements will serve to destroy in 20 seconds the careful construction of a relationship with Islam that Pope John Paul II built over the last twenty years".

The Vatican reacted quickly, removing one subordinate, Joaquín Piña the Archbishop of Puerto Iguazú from his post within four days of his making similar statements to the Argentine national media, sending a clear statement to Cardinal Bergoglio that he would be next should he choose to persist.

Reacting to the threats from Rome, Cardinal Bergoglio cancelled his plans to fly to Rome, choosing to boycott the second synod that Pope Benedict had called during his tenure as pontiff.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...-Mohammed.html

Old Mar 15, '13, 4:03 pm

Quote:

."
I do not know if the above is true. But it does fits the picture of a typical south american bishop, I am afraid. I mean not really wanting to listen to the Pope and stuff, specially an orthodox pope like Benedict was. Social justice and populism is generally the main priority in south american church and most are highly influenced by Liberation Theology in various degrees. Liturgy is not so important to them but they are very strong in Ecumenism with other religions, not only with Jews, and Muslims, but also with Candomble, Umbanda (afro cults similar to santeria.) Maybe that is why Bergoglio was unhappy...
Old Mar 15, '13, 4:06 pm

Quote:

If true then I'm loving him already.
Old Mar 15, '13, 4:23 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic, Carmelite OCDS

Canon Lawyer Dr. Edw. Peters had this to say in Newadvent today:

The mainstream media is in panic over Pope Francis.
The new pope is solidly opposed to everything big media wants (contraception, abortion, ‘same-sex marriage’, etc.), but it can’t simply write him off as an out-of-touch academic (Benedict) or as a provincial Slav suffering Nazi and Communist induced post-traumatic stress disorder (John Paul II). Worse, the first prelate of the Catholic world is a man of proven commitment to the poor (far more demonstrably than are his limousine liberal critics), and has lived his whole life in a simplicity that is utterly beyond the ken of Manhattan or the Beltway sophisticates.

So, confronted by a major Catholic prelate of such palpable integrity, what’s the media to do? Only one thing: Look up what country the prelate calls home, find out what trauma that country suffered (that’s not hard to do, all modern countries suffer from traumas, generally those organized by their governments), and accuse the prelate of—wait for it—Not Speaking Out.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News