Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 15, '13, 7:27 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Cool Pope Francis was once a bouncer?

This guy gets cooler and cooler. Maybe he gets his orthodox views from the movie Roadhouse!

"Its my way or the highway."
-Dalton

Or, in dealing with the future of SSPX...

"There's always barber college."
-Dalton

Dalton had a degree in Philosophy too come to think about it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...idnt-know.html

- Our Lord to St. Faustina
Divine Mercy in My Soul, Diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska
Notebook II, 573
Old Mar 15, '13, 8:06 pm

Default Re: Pope Francis was once a bouncer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayRosary View Post
This guy gets cooler and cooler. Maybe he gets his orthodox views from the movie Roadhouse!

-Dalton

-Dalton

Thus saith the Lord: Stand ye on the ways, and see and ask for the old paths which is the good way, and walk ye in it: and you shall find refreshment for your souls. Jeremiah 6:16[/i]
Old Mar 15, '13, 8:51 pm

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Lightbulb Re: Pope Francis was once a bouncer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayRosary View Post

-Dalton

-Dalton

Old Mar 15, '13, 8:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

The smoke of Satan has entered the Church.

We now have a bouncer to kick it out
Old Mar 15, '13, 9:42 pm

Well, all priests and religious were something prior to responding to their call, even if "something" was being a high school student!

When I was in Catholic high school I belonged to a ski club. It was chaperoned by one of the nuns. I learned to ski as a very young child, and was very good at it (hmm--that's another thing I'd like to do in heaven--go skiing with Bl. JP II, but I digress.)

We were all required to go to our ski lesson before doing an hour of free-time skiing for the evening. Some of us used to sneak off into the woods and smoke cigarettes, thinking Sister would be none the wiser for our skipping the lessons. I was one such little miscreant.

One evening a group of us were inside the tree line, smoking, when we suddenly heard "Ah-HA!" coming from just uphill of us. I turned and saw what looked like Batman on skis: Sister Mary David had caught us, and was giving chase. In a full habit, which billowed out behind her, giving her the Batman effect. I quickly turned downhill and got out of the tree line, tucked, and sped toward the bottom of the mountain. I was overtaken by Sister Mary David. I came to a stop, she tore my lift ticket and ordered me to the base lodge, where she had caught other little twerps, who were already writing out catechism questions and answers fifty times as punishment.

On the bus on the way home, I commented to her that I had never seen anyone ski that well in my life.

She said sternly, "Surely, Odile, you do not think I was born a nun! I was on the 1964 US Alpine team, and my event was the downhill!"

That being said, the Jesuits tend to attract a lot of men in vocation who have some work experience (usually, professional occupations) prior to answering their vocation. There is even a Jesuit ballet dancer, he is in charge of the dance department at Boston University nowadays, and still teaches class. I had a Jesuit professor at Fordham who was a WWII veteran, and was in the Central Intelligence Service (the military forerunner of the CIA.) In other words, a spy. Their formation is pretty intensive and social service oriented, and they get assignments that can require pretty exotic skills. I know quite a few Jesuits, and once asked one of the priests if, in addition to their vows of poverty, chastity, obedience, and allegiance to the Pope, if they took a vow of "cool." He nearly got the hiccoughs laughing!

The Holy Father's experience as a bouncer might serve him in good stead in dealing with some of the issues that the Church is facing nowadays. I understand, though, he was a pretty mediocre soccer player, so I wouldn't expect any b--- kicking from those quarters!

"Lord, spare us from sour-faced saints!"---St. Teresa of Avila
Old Mar 15, '13, 10:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by odile53 View Post
...One evening a group of us were inside the tree line, smoking, when we suddenly heard "Ah-HA!" coming from just uphill of us. I turned and saw what looked like Batman on skis: Sister Mary David had caught us, and was giving chase. In a full habit, which billowed out behind her, giving her the Batman effect. I quickly turned downhill and got out of the tree line, tucked, and sped toward the bottom of the mountain. I was overtaken by Sister Mary David. I came to a stop, she tore my lift ticket and ordered me to the base lodge, where she had caught other little twerps, who were already writing out catechism questions and answers fifty times as punishment.

On the bus on the way home, I commented to her that I had never seen anyone ski that well in my life.

She said sternly, "Surely, Odile, you do not think I was born a nun! I was on the 1964 US Alpine team, and my event was the downhill!"
That's awesome.

All the priests I've known, save one, have had other lives.
There was one priest in Cali that bragged that he was the very last person to go into seminary as a boy of 16. He said "they just don't do that anymore".

...Bouncer though ... hunh
Old Mar 15, '13, 10:36 pm

Somewhere St. Nicholas is smiling
Old Mar 15, '13, 10:40 pm

Bouncer, as like, a security guard? Someone please explain pls ok
Old Mar 15, '13, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by odile53 View Post
Well, all priests and religious were something prior to responding to their call, even if "something" was being a high school student!

When I was in Catholic high school I belonged to a ski club. It was chaperoned by one of the nuns. I learned to ski as a very young child, and was very good at it (hmm--that's another thing I'd like to do in heaven--go skiing with Bl. JP II, but I digress.)

We were all required to go to our ski lesson before doing an hour of free-time skiing for the evening. Some of us used to sneak off into the woods and smoke cigarettes, thinking Sister would be none the wiser for our skipping the lessons. I was one such little miscreant.

One evening a group of us were inside the tree line, smoking, when we suddenly heard "Ah-HA!" coming from just uphill of us. I turned and saw what looked like Batman on skis: Sister Mary David had caught us, and was giving chase. In a full habit, which billowed out behind her, giving her the Batman effect. I quickly turned downhill and got out of the tree line, tucked, and sped toward the bottom of the mountain. I was overtaken by Sister Mary David. I came to a stop, she tore my lift ticket and ordered me to the base lodge, where she had caught other little twerps, who were already writing out catechism questions and answers fifty times as punishment.

That being said, the Jesuits tend to attract a lot of men in vocation who have some work experience (usually, professional occupations) prior to answering their vocation. There is even a Jesuit ballet dancer, he is in charge of the dance department at Boston University nowadays, and still teaches class. I had a Jesuit professor at Fordham who was a WWII veteran, and was in the Central Intelligence Service (the military forerunner of the CIA.) In other words, a spy. Their formation is pretty intensive and social service oriented, and they get assignments that can require pretty exotic skills. I know quite a few Jesuits, and once asked one of the priests if, in addition to their vows of poverty, chastity, obedience, and allegiance to the Pope, if they took a vow of "cool." He nearly got the hiccoughs laughing!

The Holy Father's experience as a bouncer might serve him in good stead in dealing with some of the issues that the Church is facing nowadays. I understand, though, he was a pretty mediocre soccer player, so I wouldn't expect any b--- kicking from those quarters!
I had a great time visualizing your story!
Old Mar 16, '13, 1:10 am

Religion: Christian

It seems you just had to work a bash of SSPX into your cutesy little post. Have a cookie...
Old Mar 16, '13, 5:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria1993 View Post
Bouncer, as like, a security guard? Someone please explain pls ok
When you go to some night clubs or dance clubs that are very popular, a huge muscular guy is at the door with a clipboard. If you are on the list, you get to go in. If not, you get to stay out.

If you cause trouble inside, they will kick you out too.

It is like security + gatekeeper.
Old Mar 16, '13, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticnovice View Post
Somewhere St. Nicholas is smiling
Yeah I was surprised at his short temper! I like the Saints that appear normal like us.

Notebook II, 573
Old Mar 17, '13, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCatholic View Post
The smoke of Satan has entered the Church.

We now have a bouncer to kick it out
I think that your first sentence is poetic, but you have to admit that once the Church decided to let people in it also was letting in Sin...and that's a fact!!!
Old Mar 17, '13, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithdancer View Post
It seems you just had to work a bash of SSPX into your cutesy little post. Have a cookie...
As Father Z pointed out, the SSPX needs to crawl on their knees and kiss Francis' feet
Old Mar 17, '13, 1:17 pm

Odile: Great story, thanks!

Faithdancer: i probably made too light of a serious situation. Im sorry if I offended anyone.
I was just joking.

Notebook II, 573

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism