Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 22, '13, 12:31 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Women of Faith Conference?

Is anyone familiar with this conference? I know that it is Protestant, but I'm wondering if it is really Protestant, or the kind of Rich Warren-esque Christianity that is much less partisan. My wife, who is not (yet) Catholic, wants to attend the Women of Faith Conference when it comes to town because it features one of her favorite Contemporary Christian musicians and also an author she really likes. She is not formally Catholic, but her life continues to move in that direction, and I generally try to encourage her to stay away from the more partisan formulations of Protestant thinking. I'm also uneasy about laying down a good bit of money for a conference that teaches bad theology. I don't mind giving money to Protestants, but I don't know that it's a good thing to give money to Protestants who use that money to teach bad theology. I don't mind paying for a Hillsong United album or even a good Protestant book, so long as I know that the theology presented is truly Christian, and approachable by both Catholics and Protestants. Many Protestant books and most Hillsong United songs are pretty decent.

Any thoughts or experiences--specifically about this conference?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 22, '13, 1:41 pm

Default Re: Women of Faith Conference?

Maybe you could turn her on to Women of Grace. This Catholic women's organization has a radio and TV program on EWTN as well as events around the country.

I suspect that Women of Faith won't be too problematic for her faith journey so I wouldn't specifically recommend against her going to a local event they are putting on.
Old Mar 22, '13, 3:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorad007 View Post
Is anyone familiar with this conference? I know that it is Protestant, but I'm wondering if it is really Protestant, or the kind of Rich Warren-esque Christianity that is much less partisan. My wife, who is not (yet) Catholic, wants to attend the Women of Faith Conference when it comes to town because it features one of her favorite Contemporary Christian musicians and also an author she really likes. She is not formally Catholic, but her life continues to move in that direction, and I generally try to encourage her to stay away from the more partisan formulations of Protestant thinking. I'm also uneasy about laying down a good bit of money for a conference that teaches bad theology. I don't mind giving money to Protestants, but I don't know that it's a good thing to give money to Protestants who use that money to teach bad theology. I don't mind paying for a Hillsong United album or even a good Protestant book, so long as I know that the theology presented is truly Christian, and approachable by both Catholics and Protestants. Many Protestant books and most Hillsong United songs are pretty decent.

Any thoughts or experiences--specifically about this conference?

Thanks for your help.
I went to this and found myself squirming in the seat most of the time.
I actually got physically ill. I had to go to the hospital (I was pregnant at the time and so perhaps overly sensative).
It hurt so much to see so many women so filled with the Spirit, helping to steer each other astray. My soul was crying out in anguish as the very well spoken speakers were discussing intricate solutions to things that would have easily been delt with if they only had access to sacraments like confession.
And, yes, the Church was misrepresented, abeit in more of an ignorant than a malicious way. It was, in short - painful...

Having said that, I think it would be a mistake to forbid your wife from attending. Likely she already has all the misconceptions that are represented at this conference. It is uplifting to those who don't know any better. Mostly, I think she would resent your interference to this degree.

-Pax
Carol
Old Mar 22, '13, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiritCarol View Post
I went to this and found myself squirming in the seat most of the time.
I actually got physically ill. I had to go to the hospital (I was pregnant at the time and so perhaps overly sensative).
It hurt so much to see so many women so filled with the Spirit, helping to steer each other astray. My soul was crying out in anguish as the very well spoken speakers were discussing intricate solutions to things that would have easily been delt with if they only had access to sacraments like confession.
And, yes, the Church was misrepresented, abeit in more of an ignorant than a malicious way. It was, in short - painful... Carol
I'm confused. You said it hurt to see so many women so filled with the spirit. If they were filled with the spirit, I'm assuming the Holy Spirit. If filled with Him how were they steer each other astray? Could you clarify?
Old Mar 23, '13, 1:20 pm

I'm not so much wondering if anyone would recommend the conference, but rather whether it would actually be spiritually harmful.
Old Mar 23, '13, 1:48 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmin View Post
I'm confused. You said it hurt to see so many women so filled with the spirit. If they were filled with the spirit, I'm assuming the Holy Spirit. If filled with Him how were they steer each other astray? Could you clarify?
"Filled with the Spirit" is a term used when people are feeling a "God high". This happens at all "Praise and Worship" type scenarios. The free ones as well as the expensive ones like this.
Being close to God does not protect us from doing wrong; just look at Judas Iscariot or Peter. ... Solomon is a great example... Adam... I could go on and on.

Ladies feeling lifted up and close to the Lord may still do wrong.

In the case I'm referring to; acting/feeling superior while forcing man-made solutions upon those that have divine solutions is very much "leading astray".
Old Mar 23, '13, 2:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorad007 View Post
I'm not so much wondering if anyone would recommend the conference, but rather whether it would actually be spiritually harmful.
I hate to say it... it felt so good in so many ways at the time. But I think, in the long run, it may be spiritually harmful.

That is where my recent prayer has lead me.

Perhaps I was too circumspect with my first post.

Have you checked into the Women of Grace event?

Perhaps you could see if your wife's favorite group is having a concert some other time?

It all comes down to how much we want to wallow in our ignorance.
A priest friend of mine once accused me of being complicit. ... I want to share in the love of God with my non-Catholic sisters. It is so up-lifting to see people just so openly in love with Him. It is not something easily obtained in our Catholic settings.
But.
No matter how hard we focus on that greater good of unity, our souls can not bear the burden of playing along in the deceit... or just ignoring it.

The honest truth is that Catholics and Catholic viewpoints are not welcomed in the least at these events and so, regardless of the high, God is shut out.

Truth is shut out. And any hope of moving forward with faith encounters a glass ceiling.

Pray on it with your wife; but I can not be emphatic enough that if she wants to grow in her faith to its fullest potential; not just ride from one high to the next; the both of you should seek better avenues together.
Old Mar 23, '13, 3:10 pm

Religion: Christian

I disagree with the idea that Catholics are not welcomed to this event. I was going to attend last year, as it was nar me, but had other obligations that weekend. I know a few friends, some Catholic, some not, who attended & all had a wonderful experience. The Catholics who attended did not feel awkward, unwelcome, etc.
Old Mar 25, '13, 1:30 am

I attended a Women of Faith conference a few years ago. There were many good speakers and it had a strong Christian message throughout the weekend. But when all was said and done, I realized what it was missing....the Eucharist. Without Reconciliation and the Eucharist, it's not much more than one big Christian therapy session. Sure, there was prayer and there was nothing specifically wrong with any of the talks, although I do remember a little jab or two at the Catholic Church with mention of "rote prayers" being useless. When the last talks and prayers were said, the lights came up and everybody went home. It was then that I realized how important the Eucharist is to me and I felt like "Is that all there is to this?" If there is a Women of Grace conference near you, encourage her to attend that instead.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life