Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 25, '13, 8:41 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Baby Girl Name

Hi! My husband and I are pregnant with our firstborn, and while we have had an easy time deciding on a name for a boy (right down to names for our first, second, third, fourth, etc.!), we're having difficulty with a girl name. We seem to have very different taste in girl names. While Baby doesn't arrive until July and we just may wait to see her to decide on the right name for her, we currently have Penelope Raphaela. I absolutely love the name Raphaela, but DH doesn't care for this for the first name. Also, we're both in total agreement about Penelope.

It is important to us that our children have Christian names, and to me, it's important that they have a saint in particular to protect them. I've not been able to find much on "Penelope" in the Christian world other than that it was the pagan name given to her by her parents, and the name that she later renounced upon her conversion to Christianity. Does anyone else have insight into the name?

Also, thoughts on Penelope Raphaela?

Thank you!
Old Mar 25, '13, 12:10 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Baby Girl Name

How about Sarah Elizabeth? The Sarah for Abrahams wife, and Elizabeth for several reasons. First, Mary's cousin, Elizabeth, gave birth to John the Baptist. Then there are several St. Elizabeth's. One's feast day is July 4. You don't want a name that too unusual. Think about the possibility of her being teased by other kids her age. Not that I don't like the name Penelope, but Raphaela might be a problem. Of course, with Penelope, she might end up being called just "Penny."

Of course, kids get funny ideas. I once knew a woman who had two small kids. Well, one just a baby. But the little girl's name was Naomi Elizabeth. She went by "Betsy." Why? Well, apparently where they lived when she was born, some other kids had trouble saying her first name and just called her "Miami."
Old Mar 25, '13, 12:50 pm

You can just argue that Penelope is a female derivative of Pens.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=5345
Old Mar 25, '13, 12:50 pm
Book Club Member

Leslie.

Leslie Laura Cecilia

Lovely names.

No really....
Old Mar 25, '13, 12:53 pm
Banned

Francesca.

In honor of the Pope!
Old Mar 25, '13, 6:47 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna87 View Post
Hi! My husband and I are pregnant with our firstborn, and while we have had an easy time deciding on a name for a boy (right down to names for our first, second, third, fourth, etc.!), we're having difficulty with a girl name. We seem to have very different taste in girl names. While Baby doesn't arrive until July and we just may wait to see her to decide on the right name for her, we currently have Penelope Raphaela. I absolutely love the name Raphaela, but DH doesn't care for this for the first name. Also, we're both in total agreement about Penelope.

It is important to us that our children have Christian names, and to me, it's important that they have a saint in particular to protect them. I've not been able to find much on "Penelope" in the Christian world other than that it was the pagan name given to her by her parents, and the name that she later renounced upon her conversion to Christianity. Does anyone else have insight into the name?

Thank you!
Why not a family name? Like the names of both of your mothers?

When I think of Penelope, I think of the Kardashian baby. Sorry. And why not a more common Christian name? How about good old Mary? I know someone who named their child Ferdinand. Ferdinand!
Old Mar 25, '13, 11:21 pm

Elektra.
Old Mar 26, '13, 12:07 am

Our fourth child, a girl, is due in June. No one likes the name we have chosen (at least not the first name). We have decided that our daughter's first name will be Lumina. Lumina is the pre-Christian name of St. Philomena. My husband liked the name Philomena and well, I am not a huge fan. But when he said in this name debate that we could call her Lumina for short (he thought it was a nick-name but when we looked it up we found the truth) I said I would rather choose Lumina as the name, not as a nickname. Originally we were going to choose Lucy as a name but finally decided on Lumina. And, you'd be surprised at all the obscure saint names out there (my oldest's first name we didn't think was a saint name, but after looking it up, it is though not even remotely a well known saint name).
Old Mar 26, '13, 12:13 am

However, there is a saint Penelope in the Greek Orthodox faith. Who knows...maybe under Pope Francis there may be a uniting of the Roman Church and all the Orthodox churches.....then you'll be ahead of the game
Old Mar 26, '13, 1:23 am

Dear Gianna, our eldest child is Raphaela, she is now 12. She has always had so many compliments on her name. It is also a name that translates well into many cultures. She is American and we currently live in Germany, in her German primary school there was another girl in her grade with her name spelt the same way. It's a name used in Italy, Spainish-speaking nations, Ireland in fact any Catholic society. In America one of her classmates has a older sister called Raphaela. It's a truly Catholic, Christian name but one that is not overused. We are not of Latino descent but I like the fact that my American daughter has a name that is familiar to English and Spanish speaking Catholics.

I guess this is somewhat irrelevant as you already love the name! Just wanted to affirm you and say you are not alone!

Old Mar 29, '13, 4:30 pm

Daphne Ariel

Nevaeh Faith) Nevaeh is atcually Heaven spelled backwards!)

Vanessa Lily

Lydia Jordyn

Violet Jade

Piper Kylee

Willow Ivy

Summer Rose

I highly reccomend you check out this site: http://www.biblical-baby-names.com
Old Mar 29, '13, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna87 View Post

Thank you!
Penelope is a very pretty name. I wouldn't worry about the fact that there was one person named Penelope that renounced Christianity.
Old Mar 29, '13, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Beth View Post
How about Sarah Elizabeth? :
That is my daughter's name.
Old Mar 30, '13, 11:16 pm
Book Club Member

Penelope is ok but the R name is kind of overdoing it I think. You could pair Penelope with a simpler middle name like Sara or Marie.
I've always liked the name Miriam but it may sound too old fashioned. Myrie for short would be cute though. Marion is so pretty too. I always wondered if anyone ever named their baby girl Rosary? I've never heard of anyone being named that *shrugs*
I also really like Evelyn, Evie for short. Leah is really pretty.
Old Mar 30, '13, 11:17 pm
Book Club Member

Oh someone said Piper. That name is sooo adorable. I love it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life