Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 25, '13, 9:59 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default How Does Good Friday ("Veneration Of The Cross") Take Place In Your Parish?

As a young kid growing up in the early 1960's and well into my teens in the 1970's right until the early 1980's traditionally Veneration of the Cross on Good Friday was a similar to slightly larger hand held Crucifix in a priests hands with a purificator.
The crucifix was similar in size to that which one sees hanging on a wall in a Catholic home.

The Faithful in the congregation came up and humbly Venerated the Crucifix feet or legs with a simple kiss. ("To me this was very moving in my heart") reflectively knowing I was one amongst all the guilty sinners of the world Past, Present Future who was responsible for having Jesus Our Savior crucified on a suffering Cross.

Today in my parish as has been for at least almost shy of two decades, a simple large scale painted black wooden cross with no corpse of Christ is used symbolically for the Veneration. Everybody follows up the center aisle and touches the black cross and returns to their pews.

The gesture seems almost empty compared to humbly leaning over to venerate a crucifix held by a priest with a purificator to clean the crucifix for the next Faithful Catholic to venerate. I feel saddened how meaningful traditions get trashed today for more modern ways. Any thoughts?

In Fraternal Peace
Chris
Old Mar 25, '13, 11:01 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How Does Good Friday ("Veneration Of The Cross") Take Place In Your Parish?

My parish does the traditional style venerating the cross.
Old Mar 25, '13, 11:03 am

Religion: Catholic Traditional
Default Re: How Does Good Friday ("Veneration Of The Cross") Take Place In Your Parish?

All catholic church do it still and the unveiling of the cross

: In nomine Patris, + et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Introibo ad altare Dei. R: Ad deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.
Old Mar 25, '13, 11:16 am
Prayer Warrior

My home parish (which is a Cathedral) had a life-sized crucifix that was used for Good Friday. It took several men to hold it and we would come and kiss Christ's hands, feet, side, or cheek. Or people had the option of simply placing their hand on the cross for a moment.

In my current parish, they use a simple wooden cross--not a crucifix. Most people will bow or touch the cross momentarily. Personally, I still kneel and kiss the foot of the cross. Getting up and down has been particularly trying for me during this pregnancy, so I am thinking I might kiss the hand of the cross instead, but... I will still probably kneel and kiss the foot.
Old Mar 25, '13, 11:31 am

Religion: Catholic Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia23 View Post
My home parish (which is a Cathedral) had a life-sized crucifix that was used for Good Friday. It took several men to hold it and we would come and kiss Christ's hands, feet, side, or cheek. Or people had the option of simply placing their hand on the cross for a moment.

In my current parish, they use a simple wooden cross--not a crucifix. Most people will bow or touch the cross momentarily. Personally, I still kneel and kiss the foot of the cross. Getting up and down has been particularly trying for me during this I still kneel and kiss the foot of the cross, so I am thinking I might kiss the hand of the cross instead, but... I will still probably kneel and kiss the foot.
I agree with you about kiss the foot of the cross Its a beautiful way of showing your way of loving the lord. Hat off to you a when you where pregnant to I still kneel and kiss the foot of the cross a real way of showing that you love the lord god bless

In nomine Patris, + et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Introibo ad altare Dei. R: Ad deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.
Old Mar 25, '13, 11:36 am

Even when I attended what was considered a liberal bastion (20 years ago) they had the traditional veneration of the cross.

My current parish will have the same traditional veneration this year.
Old Mar 25, '13, 12:10 pm
Book Club Member

Very traditional veneration of the cross where I am. Except that there are at least 4 (actually, thinking about it, probably 5 or 6) crucifixes which are held at the exits (and probably in the halls that get used for 'overflow' worshippers at big services), as we leave, we kiss the feet or legs. No one kneels though as we need to clear the church as quickly as possible for the next service. (There will be 10 services between 5am and 6pm on Good Friday this year, for example.)

Mother, Mother-in-law, Granny (2 girls & 2 boys )

I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord . . . . . to give you a future with hope. Jer 29:11
Old Mar 25, '13, 5:41 pm

Religion: catholic

I believe the GIRM recommends only one cross be used. We use only one. DUring the service only the liturgical ministers adore the cross while others adore from their seat. After the service the cross is presented to those who choose to come up to adore it. It takes a LONG time so that is why we do it after. It is one of the options allowed.
Old Mar 25, '13, 6:19 pm
Forum Master

For decades we used a large wooden cross, so large it required 3 or 4 men to carry it and set it in its stand. It stood at least 8 feet tall and was placed in the sanctuary for people to venerate by kissing or touching or simply bowing.

About a decade ago it was replaced by a lighter but still very large one. Than about 5 years ago we started venerating a crucifix in the traditional way, although we did our own wiping. This year I hear the new Pastor has insisted on a new all wood, 8'X6' cross and doesn't want the crucifix at all.

Old Mar 25, '13, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionguard View Post
...a simple large scale painted black wooden cross with no corpse of Christ is used symbolically for the Veneration. Everybody follows up the center aisle and touches the black cross and returns to their pews.
My parish does exactly this! Large scale painted black wooden cross with no corpse. People come up the center aisle, but they kiss the cross. I have always found this act very moving. I guess it's all what we are used to.

Support the expectation of dressing respectfully for Mass (for those who are able to but do not, referring to dressing with respect, not finery.) Give God better than the least you can do.
Old Mar 26, '13, 12:33 am

My parish does the Traditional way, Cross with corpse and the normal practice is to kiss the feet. Some people touch the wounds as well.
Old Mar 26, '13, 4:12 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
As a young kid growing up in the early 1960's and well into my teens in the 1970's right until the early 1980's traditionally Veneration of the Cross on Good Friday was a similar to slightly larger hand held Crucifix in a priests hands with a purificator.
The crucifix was similar in size to that which one sees hanging on a wall in a Catholic home.

The Faithful in the congregation came up and humbly Venerated the Crucifix feet or legs with a simple kiss. ("To me this was very moving in my heart") reflectively knowing I was one amongst all the guilty sinners of the world Past, Present Future who was responsible for having Jesus Our Savior crucified on a suffering Cross.

Today in my parish as has been for at least almost shy of two decades, a simple large scale painted black wooden cross with no corpse of Christ is used symbolically for the Veneration. Everybody follows up the center aisle and touches the black cross and returns to their pews.

The gesture seems almost empty compared to humbly leaning over to venerate a crucifix held by a priest with a purificator to clean the crucifix for the next Faithful Catholic to venerate. I feel saddened how meaningful traditions get trashed today for more modern ways. Any thoughts?

In Fraternal Peace
Chris
The way you describe it as it happened in the past is exactly how it happens in my parish now.

Have you ever asked your priest why he does it with a plain black cross? Perhaps knowing that will help you with the symbolism of the event.
Old Mar 26, '13, 6:47 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sally View Post
The way you describe it as it happened in the past is exactly how it happens in my parish now.

Have you ever asked your priest why he does it with a plain black cross? Perhaps knowing that will help you with the symbolism of the event.
I suppose I haven't really asked my present priest really. Since 1991 I've seen five new priest make the transition of becoming parish priest where I've made my home parish now. All of them have used the corpse-less black painted cross. Many changes in the Archdiocese restructuring along with new Liturgical commitees from an Archdiocesan level to a Liturgical parish sub-commitee level itself.

Honestly; I hate sounding negative but I am deeply rooted in Catholic traditions, customs, and symbolism from the past. As a former sacristan I took a strong interest of looking into the heritage of Catholic traditions, customs, and symbolisms some of which have disappeared from todays "modern" Catholic Church" for unexplained reasons which escape me, yet I am forced to accept humbly. Our beautiful Catholic Church has a deeply rich heritage of spiritual and liturgical history that shouldn't easily be ignored for the sake of antiquity.

Fraternally In the Peace of Christ Jesus
Chris
Old Mar 29, '13, 10:01 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

In Fraternal Peace
Chris
I also prefer to kiss the Crucifix. I've been to parishes where this is done! I think it really depends on the parish. However, I have read that it's supposed to be a crucifix... according to the liturgical rules. Maybe not everyone knows.

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Mar 29, '13, 10:26 am
Observing Member

I have just returned from Good Friday service in my parish. The crucifix was replaced with a bare wooden cross this year but, more distressing, - we did not receive the Eucharist.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments