Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 25, '13, 10:17 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Job worries - suggestions welcomed

Hello everyone! I have been working full-time at my job for the last 6 years and for the past 3 years I have been going to school part-time for a Master's Degree. This semester I complete all my classes, but in May, I will need to work a 16 hour (2 8-hour days) Internship. I would love to stay at my job for obvious financial reasons. However, my job is saying that they now require 40 hours a week (although there are some working there part-time but were 'grandfathered' into the system). I work 40 hours a week now but once Internship comes it will be impossible. The most I could do is 33 hours. Please pray for me, as I am appealing my case to HR. It would cost my company a lot to train someone else, and even at that, I have been here 6 years so a new person would not be able to do the things I do. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I have also been looking for part time jobs elsewhere. I just need 30 hours somewhere (very modest pay) Thank you so much and God bless.
Old Mar 25, '13, 11:26 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Job worries - suggestions welcomed

Praying....
Old Mar 25, '13, 12:25 pm

Is there anyway you can continue to work 40 hours at your current job and schedule your 16 hours around that schedule? It would be worth it in the long run. I will pray for your appeal to HR, which can stand for Heartless Rats in many cases. Sorry, but it's true!
Old Mar 25, '13, 12:26 pm
Forum Elder

Can't you take some vacation days to do the internship project?

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 25, '13, 12:54 pm

praying!
Old Mar 25, '13, 2:37 pm

I will definitely try to use vacation days for the Internship and that may bide me a month or two of time but not necessarily the long term goal. The internship is 2 8-hour days so that leaves me 3 days to work at my fulltime job. They won't let me work strange hours like 6AM to 9PM nor would I really be physically able to do that. I can't work weekends. It just seems very strange that if I could work 33 hours they would have to let me go over 7 measly hours since I couldn't get to the 'mandatory' 40. Thanks all for your prayers.
Old Mar 25, '13, 4:44 pm
Forum Elder

Ok, how long does the internship last?

And, have you talked to your school about an alternative class. It doesn't seem reasonable that a Master's program for working adults would require an internship.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 26, '13, 12:29 pm

The Internship starts in May and lasts for 1 year. The Master's is in Clinical Psychology so in order to become a licensed therapist (eventually I will hopefully be known as a Catholic therapist) I have to do an Internship.

I could find a part time job somewhere for 3 days a week but finding a good job in this economy may be difficult. It would be much easier to stay at my full-time job. Praying for God's will at this point. I will try calling HR today. Thank you!!
Old Mar 26, '13, 12:45 pm
Forum Elder

I don't think any of us answering your questions understood that this was a year long internship of 16 hours per week.

Since you are in a job that is a full time job, I can see where this is difficult. Your employer may not be able to accommodate you, as the needs of the business may preclude allowing people in full time positions to go part time.

If so, you will simply have to make the choice between your full time job and the internship. You must have known this was coming. Frankly I think you waited a little too long to approach your employer on this matter.

Old Mar 26, '13, 7:11 pm

My prayers are with you in this dilemma. If you are single, do what it takes to get the degree, and move on. The enrichment that will come from having credentials will trump the current job situation hands down.

Private companies can be obstinate, and cut-throat when it comes to people with great potential. Lots of managers can't stand to see others bettering themselves. It reminds them of their own lack of progress, they feel threatened, or they're simply inflexible and like to say 'no' to prove their authority. I hope you are not in an organization like that. Once upon a time I was in that kind of situation, and had to leave because management was weak and incompetent. Life is too short for conflicts like that.

If necessary, take the high road, find another job, and leave them in the dust.

Last edited by mh2007; Mar 26, '13 at 7:13 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, '13, 8:23 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2007 View Post
Private companies can be obstinate, and cut-throat when it comes to people with great potential. Lots of managers can't stand to see others bettering themselves. It reminds them of their own lack of progress, they feel threatened, or they're simply inflexible and like to say 'no' to prove their authority.
Or maybe it is simply that they hired a full time person to do a full time job. That full time person is now asking to keep their job and work 24 hours per week instead of 40. So, the answer might be "no" based on the fact that the business cannot accommodate that and they have no part time position to put him in.

It does not sound like the degree he is pursuing has anything to do with the job he now has, so it does not sound like the company he works for can move him into a position that would count for his internship.

How exactly is this the fault of the *company* the OP *chose* to take a job with 6 years ago? Why is it the company's responsibility to let its business suffer because the OP wants to work part time?

I do not know why so many people on these boards make such outrageous comments about employers such as what you have-- attempting to put bad motives on a manager who has said "no" to what is an entirely unreasonable request.

Old Mar 27, '13, 6:44 pm

1ke wrote: (among other things) << I do not know why so many people on these boards make such outrageous comments about employers such as what you have-- attempting to put bad motives on a manager who has said "no" to what is an entirely unreasonable request. >>

How do you know for sure that ACanthony made an "entirely unreasonable request?" AC said "there are some working there part-time but were 'grandfathered' into the system." Perhaps AC believes there is a fairness issue regarding the flexibility extended to some but not others. I can understand, empathize with AC, and continue to pray for a favorable outcome.

No bad motives here, considering how in this day and age, many employers acknowledge the need for a work-life balance, including flexible schedules, job-sharing, part-time work, telework, etc. to reasonably accomodate family obligations, elder-care, education, and even pet care. In fact, that approach often results in increased productivity, morale, and teamwork. Some managers (obviously not all) aren't as flexible as others. I sure hope AC succeeds in the quest for that degree, and resolves the work time issue favorably through HR. If the company doesn't recognize the need for flexibility, I believe AC should move on to bigger and better things, especially if there is unfair / disparate treatment by management.

Peace be with you.
Old Mar 28, '13, 12:22 pm

ACanthony,

Have you offered to take a pay cut, subtracting 16 hours pay, at your current place of employment in order to maintain the job?

It sounds like your Master's degree and your eventual career is your priority, so I would take steps to facilitate you earning the degree. If you can do so while at your current employer, that's great. If you are forced to seek employment elsewhere, look at it as a temporary step to accomplish your primary goal.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014