Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 30, '13, 11:05 am
Prayer Warrior

Question Difference Between Wesleyan and Lutheran?

I know there are many differences within Lutheran and Wesleyan denominations, but generally speaking, from a theological perspective, what is the difference between Wesleyan theology and Lutheran theology?
Old Mar 30, '13, 11:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Difference Between Wesleyan and Lutheran?

Interesting question; I await the answers.
Old Mar 30, '13, 3:11 pm

Religion: Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinc1019 View Post
I know there are many differences within Lutheran and Wesleyan denominations, but generally speaking, from a theological perspective, what is the difference between Wesleyan theology and Lutheran theology?
Martin Luther left the Catholic Church directly. He was a leader in the magisterial Reformation, meaning that he believed that church and state should be interrelated. Lutherans also kept many of the practices of Catholics.

Wesleyans derive their theology from John Wesley. Wesley was an Anglican priest who was dissatisfied with the coldness and going-through-the-motions attitude of many Anglicans at his time. Wesley became a leader among evangelical Anglicans and other Christians in England. They began to look for a more deeper peity and a more holy and faithful life. They were very methodical about how they structured their spiritual lives, and became known as Methodists. Methodists and other Wesleyans have traditionally placed a very big emphasis on sanctification and holiness.

Relax, stay calm, and no matter what happens don't feed the trolls.
Old Mar 30, '13, 3:56 pm

Religion: LC-MS Lutheran

There is a big difference between Wesleyan ( Methodist ) and Lutherans. A good book on this subject is The Lutheran Difference, An Explanation & Comparison of Christian Beliefs. This book can be found at cph.org or amazon.com.
Old Mar 30, '13, 3:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

I appreciate the post! I am not sure I agree that Martin Luther truly believed that government and religion should be intertwined. Rather, he was a practical man and understood he needed the support of secular leaders.

I appreciate the background information but I was hoping to find out more about the theological differences. Any help with that would be great!
Old Mar 30, '13, 4:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn160 View Post
There is a big difference between Wesleyan ( Methodist ) and Lutherans. A good book on this subject is The Lutheran Difference, An Explanation & Comparison of Christian Beliefs. This book can be found at cph.org or amazon.com.
Thank you for the information! I greatly appreciate the book reference.

Since you are LCMS, I was wondering you could answer another somewhat related question...How much conformity does the LCMS require for lay members? In other words, if an LCMS member has a different view of predestination or something that differs with the creed....or perhaps the view that the office of the Pope is the Anti-Christ, can a member continue being in good standing in the LC-MS and receive communion? Or, must everyone accept every word of the confessions?
Old Mar 30, '13, 4:10 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:

Since you are LCMS, I was wondering you could answer another somewhat related question...How much conformity does the LCMS require for lay members? In other words, if an LCMS member has a different view of predestination or something that differs with the creed....or perhaps the view that the office of the Pope is the Anti-Christ, can a member continue being in good standing in the LC-MS and receive communion? Or, must everyone accept every word of the confessions?
The Lutheran confessions, I forgot which, does say the Pope is the anti-Christ.
Old Mar 30, '13, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablope View Post
The Lutheran confessions, I forgot which, does say the Pope is the anti-Christ.
The Lutheran Confessions state that the Office of the Papacy is the anti-Christ, not the person of the Pope. We would not have a problem with the office of the Bishop of Rome.
Old Mar 30, '13, 5:28 pm

Quote:

Since the LC-MS practices closed communion, it is assumed that everyone at the altar rail is of like mind on doctrine and practice the same as it is for Catholics. At my church, the pastor would not commune anyone that he knows that is not a LC-MS Lutheran, living in sin or not in agreement with Church doctrine.
Old Mar 30, '13, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Since the LC-MS practices closed communion, it is assumed that everyone at the altar rail is of like mind on doctrine and practice the same as it is for Catholics. At my church, the pastor would not commune anyone that he knows that is not a LC-MS Lutheran, living in sin or not in agreement with Church doctrine.
We have a LCMS church in our area that I believe does allow non-LCMS members to commune; however, you need to speak to the pastor first regarding your beliefs (found this out on their website).

The ELCA allows anyone to commune with them--they are pretty loosey-goosey.
Old Mar 30, '13, 5:40 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
The Lutheran Confessions state that the Office of the Papacy is the anti-Christ, not the person of the Pope. We would not have a problem with the office of the Bishop of Rome.
What is the difference between the bishop of Rome and office of the Papacy? They are symbiotic.

Are you trying to rationalize the Lutherans of calling the Pope the Anti-Christ?
Old Mar 30, '13, 7:54 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I understand that they practice closed communion...But for instance, if you didn't believe the office of the Pope is the Anti-Christ, can you take communion? Or, are you required to believe in every single word of the Confessions?
Old Mar 30, '13, 8:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

What I am trying to determine is whether LCMS Lutherans are required to believe in every single word of the confessions or whether there can be some diversity, especially on the issues where it isn't clearly spelled out in the Bible, as is the case with the office of the Pope being the Anti-Christ.
Old Mar 30, '13, 8:14 pm

Quote:
John, I really appreciate your to the point informative posting style.
Mary.
Old Mar 30, '13, 8:16 pm

I mean hn..............whoops I just "saw" the name John
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions