Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 25, '05, 3:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default patron saint of autism?

Does anyone know if there is a patron saint of people w/ autism? Kate
Old Sep 25, '05, 5:00 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: patron saint of autism?

The usual sources don't reveal such a saint. In that case the patron saint of the child should be invoked, and Mary the Mother of us all.

While I was searching I came across this:
http://www.aboutautism.org.uk/reflections.htm
Reflections
Mothers of Disabled Children, by Erma Bombeck.
Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures and a couple by habit.
This year, nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of handicapped children. Did you ever wonder how these mothers of handicapped children are chosen?
Somehow I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting His instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, He instructs His angels to make notes in a giant ledger.
Armstrong, Beth: son; patron saint, Matthew. Forest, Marjorie: daughter; patron saint, Cecilia.
Rudledge, Carrie: twins; patron saint.. . give her Gerard. He's used to profanity.
Finally, He passes a name to an angel and smiles. Give her a blind child.
The angel is curious. Why this one, God? She's so happy.
Exactly, says God. Could I give a child with a handicap to a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel.
But has she patience? asks the angel.
I don't want to her to have too much patience, or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it.
But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you.
God smiles. No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness.
The angel gasps. Selfishness? Is that a virtue?
God nods. If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she'll never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than perfect. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a spoken word; She will never consider a step ordinary. When her child says 'Momma' for the first time, she will be present at a miracle and know it! When she describes a tree or a sunset to her blind child, she will see it as few people ever see my creations.
I will permit her to see clearly the things I see-ignorance, cruelty, prejudice-and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life, because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side.
And what about her patron saint? asks the angel, pen poised in midair.
God smiles. A mirror will suffice.
Old Sep 25, '05, 5:17 pm

These two were for neurological disorders:

Bartholomew the Apostle
Dymphna
Old Sep 25, '05, 5:30 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis315
These two were for neurological disorders:

Bartholomew the Apostle
Dymphna
I found the same thing. I also checked a couple of other lists and found no particular Saint for Autism.

PF
Old Sep 29, '05, 1:18 pm

Thank you MPAV for that very kind post. I have three children on the autism spectrum and am feeling very overwhelmed. Your post was the hightlight of my day. Kate
Old Sep 29, '05, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate1015
Thank you MPAV for that very kind post. I have three children on the autism spectrum and am feeling very overwhelmed.
Hi Kate,
I have 8 year old twin girls that are both on the spectrum, so I can relate to what you are going through. From a very early age, my wife would have the girls ask St. Dymphna to "calm and help them" as part of their daily prayers. As I'm sure you're aware, there are lots of fears and worries that they experience as part of the condition.

I've found that it works best to take one day at a time. We try to deal with problems as they arise and then let God handle the rest. He has really blessed us, as they are doing quite well.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

God Bless,
Gary
Old Aug 29, '08, 5:30 pm

Default Re: patron saint of autism? Information on a special ongoing novena to St Philomena the Wonder Worker

There is no official patron saint for autism; however as has already been pointed out in this thread St Dymphna is an appropriate saint to pray to for an autistic child.

Four of my five children were born on the autism spectrum and my late brother was also severely autistic.

This is an Australian record and I would not wish it on anyone.

I started this novena several years ago:

Novena to St Philomena the Wonder Worker for the healing of autism

http://missionbell.homestead.com/nov...cchildren.html

Each person (who has autism or an autism related condition) whose name is sent to be included in this novena will be prayed for regularly by a priest of Lourdes, France at the grotto. Only the first name of the person is needed for the purpose of this novena. Everyone is invited to send names: parents, grandparents, teachers, doctors, aunties, therapists etc.

The novena is held twice every month from: the 1st to the 9th of the Month and from the 10th to the 18th of the month.

(My oldest child received a big healing from autism through prayer).

Other related information on my website:

Autism topics: general and educational

http://missionbell.homestead.com/Aut...opicsMenu.html

St Dymphna

http://missionbell.homestead.com/dymphna.html

A Favour granted by St Joseph in relation to caring for my oldest child who had severe autism

http://missionbell.homestead.com/StJoseph.html
Old Aug 30, '08, 7:47 am
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Dnieper Swim Team

All the Early Deseet monks and nuns who took vows of silence.

Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist.

All the Holy Innocents.
Old Jan 11, '10, 1:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via MSN to RaymondJensen
Default Re: patron saint of autism? Information on a special ongoing novena to St Philomena the Wonder Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenanna View Post
There is no official patron saint for autism; however as has already been pointed out in this thread St Dymphna is an appropriate saint to pray to for an autistic child.
http://missionbell.homestead.com/StJoseph.html
I'm not to sure about that. I mean sure she was a great saint, and the saint of mental illness, but autism isn't necessarily mental. People who work with children and adults with autism say they could be the most intellectual or sane people they knew, it's just their social habits are off at least a bit. I have autism, and yes i am mentally ill but mental illness runs on my mothers side of the family. Also the form of Autism I have is called "Asperger's Syndrome" which usually doesn't coincide with mental illness and is usually coincided with excelling intellectual performance (in some areas, not all).

Maybe there already is a saint for Autistics but we don't know about it, but what I'm trying to say is saying that autism is a mental illness is like saying that Cerebral Palsy is a physical handicap in the sense of that autism is social not mental and cp is neurological not physical.
Old Jan 11, '10, 1:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via MSN to RaymondJensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate1015 View Post
Thank you MPAV for that very kind post. I have three children on the autism spectrum and am feeling very overwhelmed. Your post was the hightlight of my day. Kate
Kate, how are your kids doing?

I ask this cause I know from experiance that it's hard for people with autisim to relate to their parents. I have a mild form of autism and for the longest time i felt my parents were against me. (hope that doesn't descripe your kids). My best advice is what my mother did:

1.) be a good mother (not the best mother since only one existed but a good one)
2.)pray your brains out (my mother would pray to St. Patrick and St. Anthony all thetime and I went from being a discret atheist to a celebant born again catholic)

I hope this is helpful for anyone that is raising kids with autism
Old Apr 27, '10, 9:49 am
Trial Membership

I have an Asperger's son and have had some prayers answered with astonishing efficiency through the intercession of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.

She may not (yet!) be a saint, but I picked her as "my son's saint" because:

1) I REALLY admire her very much, and

2) She dedicated her entire life to improving the lives of the (her own words) "unloved," "rejected" and "shunned by society." Sadly, so far this fits everyone I've met in the autism spectrum...

There is a very powerful and very beautiful novena at:

http://motherteresa.org/

Twice I have also prayed to St. Jude the Apostle, patron saint of hopeless cases, for obvious reasons...
Old Apr 27, '10, 11:44 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I would recommend St. Dymphna who is the patron saint of mental disorders and nervous disorders.
Old Apr 27, '10, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
I would recommend St. Dymphna who is the patron saint of mental disorders and nervous disorders.
In my book on answers to prayer, I have one story of a healing through the intercession of St Dymphna (panic attack). I am a real fan of this saint.

The book can be read free on-line here:

http://missionbell.homestead.com/Hel...eavenBook.html

On this link is the story of St Dymphna Virgin and Martyr which was originally sent to me years ago by the priest in charge of St Dymphna's major world shrine in Belgium (where her relics are located.)

http://missionbell.homestead.com/dymphna.html
Old Oct 4, '10, 9:48 pm

Religion: Catholic (orthodoxically)
Lightbulb What about a saint who specifically had Asperger’s?

Leaving aside discussions of the Autistic in general (God bless them), in the world of Asperger’s Syndrome we’ve seen no end to secular (albeit morally mixed) Aspies, for instance:

Entertainers
Woody Allen
Hans Christian Andersen
Jane Austen
Tim Burton
Lewis Carroll
John Denver
Arthur Conan Doyle
Bob Dylan
Jim Henson
Alfred Hitchcock
Michael Jackson
James Joyce
Garrison Keillor
Herman Mellville
Marilyn Monroe
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
George Orwell (perhaps the closest thing to holiness from what I know about him…)
Elvis Presley
Keanu Reeves
Charles Schulz (maybe had he been Catholic)
Stephen Spielberg
Jonathan Swift
Mark Twain
Vincent van Gogh
Ludwig von Beethoven
Orson Welles
Robin Williams

Scientists (including occult; sorry, not a lot of canonized scientists either )
Alexander Graham Bell
Henry Cavendish
Charles Darwin (I’ll pass)
Leonardo da Vinci
Thomas Edison
Albert Einstein
Henry Ford
Bill Gates
Howard Hughes
Carl Jung (*snerk* pass: he’s worse than the Fuhrer himself)
John F. Nash Jr.
Sir Isaac Newton (I’ll pass on all Masonry and…alchemy)
Benjamin Franklin

Gamers
Bobby Fischer

Artists
Antoni Gaudi
Michaelangelo
Andy Warhol

Statesmen
Al Gore (pass!)
Adolph Hitler (pass!)
Stonewall Jackson
Thomas Jefferson (pass!)
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington

Philosophers
Immanuel Kant
Friedrich Nietzsche (pass!)
Bertrand Russell (pass!)
George Bernard Shaw (pass!)
Socrates (now we’re talking)
Henry David Thoreau (what? no!)
Ludwig Wittgenstein

So no shortage of “interesting” in the aforementioned characters. As you can see from this abbreviated list (basically selected based on those I knew something about) there are many who did great good and many who did great evil, both largely from behind the scenes because of a great interior reserve, both doubtless due to their emotional detachment from most of the world’s stupid stuff that renders most men fragmented and pedantic by comparison (but also warm and relatable by comparison). All the more reason why (and this may make me an odd sort of Catholic to some) I want an Aspie saint I can imitate! We should get on the ball and try to understand the road to holiness for Aspies. Community life is out of the question for me, hence keen need to find a role model in holiness. Surely we can make a bit of a stronger push to that end? What gives here folks? Need we petition the Vatican to see the handwriting on the wall on this one? Really!

Last edited by jpandmcg; Oct 4, '10 at 10:00 pm.
Old Oct 4, '10, 10:31 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

I'm not sure where you got your list, but it seems to me that you lack proper documentation for all these claims. In the absence of a confirmed medical history on all these people--and autism spectrum disorders are a pretty new class of diagnosis--claims that someone has the disorder can be presumed untrue and potentially libelous.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality