Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 15, '10, 9:46 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Dissenting Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: Brigittine Rosary

Oooh how interesting! I never knew there was such a thing as a Brigittine rosary until I read this thread today! Thanks for enlightening us!
Old Feb 24, '10, 10:54 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: francesdaugher big rosary pictures

This post is for francesdaughter who posted many pictures of a large habit rosary obtained by her daugher. Post dated Feb 10, 2010:

What you have is a habit rosary of a nun. If the nun was a Carmelite, there will be six decades (unable to distinguish from your photo). If not a Carmelite nun, the rosary is most likely in the Dominican 5-decade form (the one we are all used to).

Clips (also used were rings) are placed at various places in the decade circle arranged so that the rosary can be worn around the cord belt of the nun's habit at her waist, and hang freely without becoming twisted during normal movement of the body.

The crucifix on the rosary is a Profession Crucifix. The heart and crown of thorns placard on the back of the cross would be worn over the heart (under her habit). However, in this case the crucifix is part of her habit rosary. The starburst on the front side is where the head of the crucifix corpus should be...your rosary is missing the corpus (body of Christ). The skull and crossbones would be located under the feet of the corpus, signifying Christ's defeat of death.

It is a large rosary, becuase, as a habit rosary, this was worn dangling from the belt cord of the habit and was blessed for the nun's first clothing in the process of her first profession.

You will probably also find that the clips separate the decade part of the rosary into sections...this was done so that it could be worn more conveniently as a part of the habit--as opposed to a rosary used for individual prayer (smaller and all in one piece). Because of these clips, the rosary would naturally "fall" correctly on the nun's skirt and could be devotionally used whenever her hands reached down to finger the beads (see above).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MRobertsOCDS; Feb 24, '10 at 11:01 am. Reason: It did not post as a reply to the proper person
Old Feb 27, '10, 6:13 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemplative View Post
Some time ago I purchased a very large rosary from an antique dealer. It is wooden and full length measures 4' with each bead having a diameter of 1". What stunned me when I took a closer look at it is that has a 6th decade. At first I thought I had a defective rosary but then I learned that it is a Brigittine Rosary.
The Brigittine (or "Saint Bridget") Rosary was promoted by the Carmelite order and looks similar to a regular rosary but with seven 'Pater' beads (in honour of the seven sorrows of the Blessed Virgin) and sixty-three 'Ave Maria' beads (to commemorate the years of her life).

Besides the introductory 'Pater' and three 'Aves' the rosary has six mysteries or decades. In praying the Brigittine Rosary, there are a total of 18 decades:

In the six joyful mysteries the first is the Immaculate Conception, the sixth of the sorrowful mysteries is the Dead Jesus in the Arms of His Mother.

The sixth of the glorious mysteries is the Patronage of Mary.

The other mysteries are the same as in the Rosary in common use. At the end of each decade, the Apostles Creed, not the 'Glory be', is recited.
Yes, it is part of the Carmelite habit with the cincture (belt) rosary. We no longer have the cincture in our habits but i still use my brigittine rosary when I recite it on my own.
" Love is repaid by love alone."- St. John of the Cross
Old Aug 15, '10, 9:52 am
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic

Perhaps the most famous Brigittine Rosary is the one on the Crowned Virgin at Lourdes France. At the time the Brigittine Rosary was the normal way of praying the rosary.
Old Aug 15, '10, 1:20 pm

Religion: Anglican Ordinariate; Roman Catholic

Since we now have thanks to the late Pope JP II, a new set of rosary Mysteries, it would be logical that the 6th decade of these Mysteries of Light in the Brigittine Rosary would be "The hidden life at Nazareth" as the first Luminous mystery; --which falls cronologically between the last mystery of the Joyful decade, "finding in the Temple", and "baptism in the Jordan".
Old Aug 15, '10, 8:23 pm

"Ah yes, there are several other versions of the Rosary, besides the 5 decade rosary of the Dominicans.

I myself use the 7 decade Franciscan Crown aka The Seraphic Rosary. I also have a four decade Rosary for the Poor Souls Of Purgatory. That one has skull beads for the large OF beads, and doubled."

Wow! I am ashamed and quite embarrassed to admit this but I always thought a Rosary was a Rosary.

So glad I happened upon this thread as I always feel compelled to pray for the souls in Purgatory and NOW I find that there is a Rosary just for them---a 4 decade. I never thought of searching for Rosaries until this thread. I believe I'll try searching for the 4 decade Rosary. Thanks so very much for this thread.
Old Aug 15, '10, 9:00 pm

Religion: Catholic!

horselvr, if you run a search for 'chaplets,' there are lots of prayers that use rosary-type beads to keep count, as well as different prayers that go with the typical 5-decade rosary. Really makes me want to get a jar of beads and some string...
Old Feb 22, '11, 8:14 am

Religion: Orthodox (catechumen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
Interesting that there are these other alternatives to the Rosary that not many people know about. Another one is the Franciscan Crown.

More or less like the normal Rosary except you begin with the Our Father and the first decade, after the decades say two more Hail Marys, then an Our Father, Glory Be and Hail Mary (not sure why they're in that order)

It has seven decades in total. The decades commemorate the seven joys of Mary -

1. Annunciation
2. Visitation
3. Birth of Christ
4. Adoration of the Magi
5. Finding of Jesus in the Temple
6. Resurrection of Our Lord
7. Assumption/Coronation of Mary
I have a question regarding the last mystery here. Does this mean that you reflect-meditate over two mysteries and then pray the usual way (hail marys and so on?)
Old Jul 14, '11, 12:38 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have recently discovered the Brigittine rosary and now pray it regularly. It is a good aid for me for increased meditation on the life of Jesus and his Mother. Since only the mysteries of the 15-decade rosary are "official", I have added a few of my own with the desire to keep the mysteries as Scriptural as possible.

For the Joyous Mysteries I have foregone the Immaculate Conception (not Scriptural) in favor of the Epiphany. I have always been disappointed that the Epiphany was never represented in the official mysteries. I insert it between the Presentation and the Finding of the Child Jesus.

The Luminous Mysteries have as their purpose I believe to show Jesus revealing himself in various ways to the people. I don't see this as being accomplished by meditating on the hidden years. I have chosen to meditate on the Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem which I insert between the Transfiguration and the Institution of the Eucharist.

Since placing Jesus in the arms of his mother is not Scriptural, I have chosen to meditate on his burial. There are plenty of Scriptural references for meditation. Of course, I place it after the Crucifixion.

The Glorious Mysteries I have left untouched. Meditating on the Patronage of Mary, though not Scriptural, enables me to reflect on all that she has done for us since her Assumption into heaven.

Tepeyachill
Old Jul 14, '11, 2:21 pm

I recently learned about the Brigittine Rosary at a Carmelite retreat I attended. Here is information from a handout I received at the retreat on how to pray this Rosary:

Quote:
The Brigittine Rosary was instituted and propagated by St. Bridget of Sweden. The six decade rosary, or Brigittine beads, is traditional in the Discalced Carmelite Order as part of the habit.

The Brigittine beads number seven "Our Fathers" in honor of the sorrows and joys of the Blessed Virgin, and sixty three "Hail Mary's" to commemorate the years of her life. The rosary begins with the sign of the cross and goes right into the first "Our Father." The Creed is not said. Besides the introductory "Our Father " and three "Hail Mary's" there are six mysteries or decades in each of the four parts or divisions. At the end of each decade, the Apostles Creed, not the Glory Be is recited.

Joyful Mysteries
1. The Immaculate Conception
2. The Annunciation
3. The Visitation
4. The Nativity
5. The Presentation
6. The Finding in the Temple

Luminous Mysteries
1, The Baptism by John
2. The Wedding at Cana
3. The Proclamation of the Kingdom
4. The Transfiguration
5. The Entry into Jerusalem
6. The Institution of the Eucharist

The Sorrowful Mysteries
1. The Agony in the Garden
2. The Scourging
3. The Crowning of Thorns
4. The Way of the Cross
5. The Crucifixion
6. The Pieta

The Glorious Mysteries
1. The Resurrection
2. The Ascension
3. Pentecost
4, The Assumption
5, The Coronation
6. Patronage of Mary/the Vision of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel
Old Jul 14, '11, 2:23 pm
Banned

You can read the life of St. Birgitta here
http://www.umilta.net/thgascbirgitta.html

It's excellent
Old Jul 25, '11, 4:13 am
Observing Member

Great thread!

For my birthday, a few years ago, I inherited my great grand-mother's rosary. The wooden beads, medal, and crucifix were worn down with a beautiful patina evident of her countless hours of prayer. It turned out to be a Brigittine Rosary.

My Mom says my great grand-mom had a special devotion to St Teresa of Avila.

The gift turned out to be auspicious; later that year, because of an unexpected professional honorarium, I was able to travel to Spain for a working 'holiday'. During my seven weeks there I visited both Santiago de Compostela and Avila - the fulfillment of a dream! While there I discovered the significant support the Brigittine Sisters had given to pilgrims in Spain over the centuries, and the connection with this Rosary to St. Teresa of Avila. I have prayed the six decades ever since!!

A QUESTION: When St. Therese of Liseaux (sp?), or any other Carmelite saint, is pictured with a Rosary shouldn't it have six decades?
Old Jul 25, '11, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikobobo View Post
A QUESTION: When St. Therese of Liseaux (sp?), or any other Carmelite saint, is pictured with a Rosary shouldn't it have six decades?
My understanding is the Brigittine Rosary is part of the Discalced Carmelite habit, so OCD nuns would be wearing one.
Old Jan 20, '12, 11:35 am

My husband and I recently made a pilgrimage to Lourdes and there learned that the 6-decade Briggitine rosary was the usual one said in St Bernadette's time and place.

This solved the puzzle which vexed me since i was a small child observing that the statue of the Immaculate Conception in my home parish (All Saints, Houston Texas) depicted a rosary of six decades. Why?

Answer: tthe first Joyful Mystery of the Brigittine rosary is "the Immaculate Conception" !
Old Jan 20, '12, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristella View Post
My understanding is the Brigittine Rosary is part of the Discalced Carmelite habit, so OCD nuns would be wearing one.
In a traditional Carmelite Monastery which was once in Aztec NM which has since relocated to Kansas, I indeed saw the nuns wearing the 6-decade habit rosary. I understand that this group began as an offshoot of the Dallas, TX Carmel, which in turn was founded by refugee Carmelite Nuns fleeing persecution in the Mexican Revolution, the cause of many 20th century Catholic martyrs.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality