Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 31, '13, 11:07 pm

Default How to "LOVE" chastity?

How can one "LOVE" chastity (single) rather than make chastity seem like sexual suppression / or an endurance marathon all the time? Every time I feel an urge, I feel that all I do is put a carpet over it all the time, only for the process to repeat.

Right now, I don't enjoy particularly enjoy chastity. Being chaste isn't a state "I love" to be in, but it is something "I must" do therefore I do so with a persevering heart... but how can I "LOVE" being chaste?

PS: I say the rosary daily, *try* to go to mass frequently more than once a week if time avails, I say many of chaplets like Divine Mercy, Holy Wounds daily.

Last edited by TemplarKnight1; Mar 31, '13 at 11:22 pm.
Old Apr 1, '13, 12:46 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How to "LOVE" chastity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplarKnight1 View Post
How can one "LOVE" chastity (single) rather than make chastity seem like sexual suppression / or an endurance marathon all the time? Every time I feel an urge, I feel that all I do is put a carpet over it all the time, only for the process to repeat.
I've posted this a couple of places tonight, some of it is relevant here too:

Quote:
My best advice is to focus on the goal. When we're always thinking over and over "I will not do X, I must not do X, I should not do X," we're always thinking of X. This can become another sort of trap. Instead, focus on what you do want: "I should do Y, I will do Y." If you were a runner wanting to finish the race, you'd keep your eyes on the road ahead, not what lies behind. Focus not on the vices you want to avoid, but rather on the virtues you want to cultivate....

Focusing on the virtues you want to cultivate-- what they really mean and how you can actually attain them-- will help. God gives you the power to do this, if you are willing to receive it....

Think about where you're going and what you're doing. Will your choices help you to cultivate the virtues you're working toward?

If you make bad choices along the way, acknowledge that you did wrong, confess your sin honestly, resolve to do good, focus on starting fresh. Each moment is a new chance to do the right thing. God will give you the power to do it. Focus on the virtues you want to cultivate and the best means to do it.
There are many good resources for better understanding Christian virtues and beatitudes, and better understanding the virtues helps us to figure out how we might learn to better practice them.

In addition, I would recommend something Eve Tushnet writes and talks about in her own pursuit of chastity: sublimation.

Inasmuch as I understand what she's trying to say is that chastity is best served not by repressing our attractions and desires, but by redirecting our attractions, desires, and energies into good actions rather than bad.

Let us imagine an unfortunate scenario, for example, in which I am attracted to a person who is married. Clearly it would be wrong for me to reduce this person to an object for my own gratification, or to express my attraction in sexual advances. But I can use my attraction as an opportunity to employ my energies in serving the good of that person, to be a good friend and sibling in Christ. I might, for example, spend some extra time praying for the good of that person's spouse and marriage, for that person's sanctity, and so forth. I would not be repressing, in this scenario, but transforming my attraction by engaging in virtue: respecting the person and the person's good.

Chastity is, fundamentally, not something negative. Chastity means loving and respecting other people and ourselves according to our states in life and vocations.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality