Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 8, '13, 11:09 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Does God want everyone to be Catholic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1967 View Post
I think God wants everyone to be Christian and to accept His Son as Lord and Savior. Denominations shouldn't matter.
It's true, they don't matter. There is one Church.

But remember that Christ willed to found a visible Church. The unity of the visible Church has been injured. If you study very carefully and objectively the history of the Church, you will find the major injuries (the Great Schism between Western and Eastern Church, the "Reform" of Luther, the Anglican schism).

You will notice that throughout two millennia until today the majority of the Christian people have remained in the Catholic Church, in whom subsists the visible Church (about 1.2 billion Christians almost equally spread throughout the world, the majority in 67 countries) all the while some 200 million Christians belong to the Orthodox Church (which is almost in full communion with the Catholic Church and we keep working together on reunification), and some 800 million Christians belong to over 41 thousand "denominations" loosely termed "protestant" (though no two denominations share the same doctrine), thus making the average number of members per denomination about 20 thousand (a poor estimate, but still).

It is quite obvious that the protestant reform has led to nothing but division and scattering. It is also quite obvious that the Great Schism was caused by responsibility on both sides, which is why we are both working on reconciliation. But in general it can be shown through Scripture and through reason that Christ intended to found a visible Church, of which He is invisible head, with a visible head and a visible structure, and characterized by four marks: unity, holiness, universality, apostolicity. To this Church God calls everyone.

It so happens that the fullness of it can be found currently in the Catholic Church. But this does not mean that "God wants everyone to be Catholic" vs. Anglican Vs. Orthodox. That would be an erroneous approach to the issue.
Old Apr 8, '13, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan 64 View Post
Is that all he wants of us? Just that?
No, that's not all. We need to be detached from all that does not lead us to Him and His Will for us!

Our Lord Jesus Christ wants us to be sanctified by way of prayer, the Sacraments, and obeying the legitimate authority of his voice, on faith and morals.

I cannot judge Christians of other denominations, I hope and pray that one day we will all be one in Jesus Christ our Lord.
Old Apr 8, '13, 11:12 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Is that all he wants of us? Just that?
No. There is more than that. We are to learn what it means to follow Christ and do our best to follow him, love him, and serve him.
Old Apr 8, '13, 11:15 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
No, that's not all. We need to be detached from all that does not lead us to Him and His Will for us!

Our Lord Jesus Christ wants us to be sanctified by way of prayer, the Sacraments, and obeying the legitimate authority of his voice, on faith and morals.
Darn, I knew there was a catch somewhere.
Old Apr 8, '13, 11:17 am

Quote:
Darn, I knew there was a catch somewhere.
Old Apr 8, '13, 12:02 pm
Banned

Religion: protestant

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_C View Post
It does seem like the Lord wants everyone to be a member of His visible Church.
Amen.
Old Apr 8, '13, 12:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Don't. That's just even more disqualifying than the usual "invisible church" protestant argument.
Not totally sure what you mean by invisible church. I know I am not invisible, nor is my pastor,elders,teachers,bishops/overseers.
Quote:
While it is true that all baptized Christians are in some degree of communion with the Church, there is no doubt whatsoever from the standpoint of both reason and Scripture that the Church subsists in its fullness in the so-called "Roman Catholic" Church
Yes,be ye fully convinvced.
Quote:
not that she is the "only" Church or that Roman Catholics are the "only" Christians (that would be nonsense).
Yet some would say it was for centuries and she tried to keep it that way, even if by force, till the Great Scism and then the Reformation and to the chagrin of some the nonsense (the existence of "others") continues. But thank you for the inclusion.
Old Apr 8, '13, 12:20 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Creagh View Post
God wants everyone to be born again.
Yes .....but, that is just the beginning. Now, u/we must discover the Church of Apostles, that went Universal in first 2 centuries !! Is that a Protestant Church ?
Old Apr 8, '13, 3:18 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue13 View Post
And the answer is...?
Yes.

Jn 17:
20 "I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, 21* that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory which you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

There is zero tollerance, exception, or accepting of division.
Old Apr 8, '13, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Creagh View Post
God wants everyone to be born again.
Born again in His Church. The only one He established in the 1st century. The Catholic Church.
Old Apr 8, '13, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocohombre View Post
Yes as in "Universal" Christian, the original meaning of "catholic". Now if you mean Roman Catholic as some church signs post in my area,I will answer with an old song lyric,as my last post/thread talked about another song "Imagine"by Ono/Lennon.
  • John Lennon was an atheist.
How do we know of the Catholic Church spoken of in scripture and Tradition ?
  • Acts 9:31 So the church throughout all [κατkata....λος holos] Judea and Galilee and Sama'ria..." iow the Church is the Kataholos Church = Catholic Church The English word catholic is a transliteration of the Greek katholikos which is a compound word from kata, which means according to, and holos, which means whole. http://www.catholic.com/tracts/what-catholic-means
  • St Ignatius Bp of Antioch, ~69 a.d. - ~107 a.d., ordained by apostles, disciple of St John the apostle, called the Church the Catholic Church Epistle to the SmyrnŠans of which schismatics won't be going to heaven Epistle to the Philadelphians
  • St Polycarp, Bp Smyrna, disciple of St John called the Church the "Catholic Church" The Martyrdom of Polycarp
  • Irenaeus ~180 a.d. wrote "Against Heresies" called the Church the "Catholic Church" Adversus haereses [Bk 1 Ch 10 v 3], and also Irenaeus who was taught by Polycarp, teaches all must agree with Rome [Bk 3, Ch 3, v 2-3] Chapter 3
  • Cyprian ~250 a.d. Epistle 54
  • The Nicene Creed, 325 a.d., it's a matter of faith to believe in the "One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church"
  • etc etc
Nobody will confuse which is the Catholic Church, division from which there is no salvation

Rom 16:17 I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions [διχοστασαdichostasia]and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18 For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people. 19 Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I am full of joy over you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil. 20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.

What are the consequences of division for that soul?

Gal 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions,[διχοστασαdichostasia] factions21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

διχοστασα dichostasia = division, is the same Greek word in both Romans and Galatians. Therefore, the consequence of division if one divides or remains divided from the Church is they will not inherit heaven when they die. That's also where the phrase outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation came from.
Old Apr 8, '13, 3:54 pm
Banned

Religion: Restoration Fellowship

No. God doesn't want us to be Protestant either. He only needs us accept Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour.
Old Apr 8, '13, 4:36 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YiiNaa View Post
He only needs us accept Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour.
That's not what He taught, though. We can pinpoint with a certain degree of exactness who came up with this doctrine that "one only needs to accept Christ as our Lord and savior". We can also refute it in a second:

Quote:
One day the evil spirit answered them, "Jesus I know
Quote:
You believe that there is one God; you do well: the demons also believe, and tremble.
Quote:
at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth
Quote:
Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Quote:
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father who is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Quote:
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.[...] And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
And finally, on how rejecting the apostles and their successors affects us, let us recall the Lord's words to them (and by extension to their successors):

Quote:
As the Father sent me, so I send you.
Quote:
Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.
Old Apr 8, '13, 4:55 pm
Banned

Religion: Restoration Fellowship

Quote:
That's not what He taught, though. We can pinpoint with a certain degree of exactness who came up with this doctrine that "one only needs to accept Christ as our Lord and savior". We can also refute it in a second:
Accepting Jesus as Lord = following his footsteps and teachings.
So I don't see the need to "refute" me here
Old Apr 9, '13, 7:16 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YiiNaa View Post
No. God doesn't want us to be Protestant either. He only needs us accept Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour.
Such a simple child you are. Halleluiah! Beware of the but,but,but,......
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics