Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 27, '05, 5:37 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Anointing of the Sick in Bible?

I'm looking for Scripture quotes about anointing of the sick in both OT and NT. I currently have:

Mark 6:13
James 5:14

I'm having trouble finding others, specifically in the OT.
I do believe, help my unbelief! - Mark 9:24
Old Sep 27, '05, 6:42 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Anointing of the Sick in Bible?

I believe the only "official" one used to justify the sacrament is James, as far as annointing the sick with oil goes. The one in Mark has the basic elements, but I guess it is not considered the "institution of the sacrament." I got this question wrong as a catechist in an inter-grade contest. I didn't feel so bad because no one else had a clue either!
However, there are many references to annointing with oil in Psalms (which is what I answered, and got half credit). Ps 23:6 for example; I do not know of any specifically that relate to the sick, but they do talk about annointing.
Old Sep 27, '05, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdnick
I'm looking for Scripture quotes about anointing of the sick in both OT and NT. I currently have:

Mark 6:13
James 5:14

I'm having trouble finding others, specifically in the OT.
saliva mixed with dirt (Jn 9:5 ff., Mk 8:22-25), as well as water from the pool of Siloam (Jn 9:7).

Then there is the laying on of hands for the purpose of ordination and commissioning (Acts 6:6, 1 Tim 4:14, 2 Tim 1:6) and to facilitate the initial outpouring of the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:17-19, 13:3, 19:6), and for healing (Mk 6:5, Lk 13:13, Acts 9:17-18).

At the Ascension scene, Jesus echoed this instruction to the apostles and declared that "the sick upon whom they lay their hands will recover" (Mk. 16:18).

At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit conferred great gifts upon the Church, including healing: St. Paul recognized, "Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers" (I Corinthians 12:9-10).

In all, the Church has been continually mindful of our Lord's command, "Heal the sick" (Matt. 10:8).

Various Church Fathers attest to the use of this sacrament in the early Church. St. Augustine (d. 430) wrote that he "was accustomed to visit the sick who desired it in order to lay his hands on them and pray at their bedside," and from his writings it is probable that he anointed them with blessed oil. Pope Innocent I (d. 417), in his letter of instruction to Decentius, affirmed that the Letter of St. James clearly refers to the sacrament, the bishop must bless the oil, a bishop or priest must administer the sacrament, and the sacrament complements the sacrament of Penance, conveying the forgiveness of sin.

Many allusions are found in later Fathers of the Church both in the use of the rite of anointing for the sick, and for obtaining healing of both soul and body:

Origen (Alexandria, 185 - 254),
Tertullian (Rome, 160 - 220),
Athanasius (Alexandria, 293 - 373),
Gregory (Nazianzus, 329 - 389),
John Chrysostom (Antioch, 349 - 407),
Ambrose (Tier, 340 - 397),
Augustine (Numidia, 354 - 430),
Old Sep 28, '05, 4:34 am

Tobit's blindness was miraculously cured when his son Tobiah, following the instructions of a disguised Angel Raphael, anointed Tobit's eyes with fish gall. (Tobit 2:10-11; 6:9; 11:7-8, 10-15)
Old Sep 28, '05, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Easton
Tobit's blindness was miraculously cured when his son Tobiah, following the instructions of a disguised Angel Raphael, anointed Tobit's eyes with fish gall. (Tobit 2:10-11; 6:9; 11:7-8, 10-15)
I forgot that one and it is one of my favorites.
Old Sep 28, '05, 4:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Anyone else have places to find this, especially OT prefigurings?
I do believe, help my unbelief! - Mark 9:24
Old Oct 3, '05, 11:07 am

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
Send a message via AIM to Lazerlike42

The passage says nothing to indicate that it refers to physical healing at all. It says the Lord will raise the sick up, but does not in any way indicate that this is a physical raising. I see no problem with the indication that this is a spiritual raising, or a reference to the resurrection.

It is also erroneous to claim that merely because James' letter is addressed to a particular group of people that its teachings only apply to that group. As Scripture tells us, there is no favor with God. We are all equal in God's eyes, to say it in a more modern way. The teachings that James is giving to a particular group are the same teachings that any other group would receive. There may be certain things which are geared toward the group, such as the examples used. For instance, when teaching a Jew about salvation, James would refer to someone they were familiar with, Abraham, as an example. If he were to teach a gentile, he would not reference Abraham, because the gentile would not necessarily know who he was.

If we are to use this criteria to ascertain doctrine, we have a major problem insofar as that each and every letter of the Bible is addressed to a particular group. This means that we must consider the letters to the Corinthians to apply only to that particular group. In other words, Christians of Jewish background would not need to pay any attention to the letters to the Corinthians because they were written for gentile believers. We would end up with a segmented Bible in which half of the books would be meaningless to any given individual.

Last edited by Marian Carroll; Oct 3, '05 at 2:04 pm. Reason: QUOTED DELETED POST
Old Oct 3, '05, 12:37 pm
Forum Supporter

I think some people have the idea that anointing of the sick only happens at the death bed, which is not true, although that is a very special type of anointing where the person receives their last Holy Communion, "Viaticum," which means "food for the journey."

Anointing is also done for people who have serious or chronic health problems, people who suffer from addiction, people who are having surgery, etc.

I also see no proof that the passage in James is talking about physical healing. When we think about it, which type of healing is more important -- physical or spiritual? Which type will last into eternity?

I'll choose spiritual any day, and I'm someone who has been dealing with a serious chronic illness for over five years, who also has received anointing of the sick three times (and I'm still kickin'!).

Last edited by Marian Carroll; Oct 3, '05 at 2:05 pm. Reason: QUOTED DELETED POST
Old Oct 4, '05, 12:37 pm

Religion: Russian Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to The Augustinian

Is not the ressurection of the dead physical in nature?
Old Oct 4, '05, 3:47 pm

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
Send a message via AIM to Lazerlike42
Default Re: Why Was My Post Deleted!?

Being raised up can be spiritual. A person's soul can be raised up. Why is it hard to look at things that way? People speak symbolically like that all the time. They say, "Gee that song really raised my spirits," and that sort of thing. A person's soul can be raised up from a state of seperation from God to a state of being with God. I'm not claiming that the passage definitively states this, but it certainly doesn't definitively state that it is a physical healing. There is absolutely nothing in the passage to indicate that it need only be physical or that it need only be spiritual. I also pointed out in my last post why the theory of who James was writing to doesn't mean a thing.

Last edited by Marian Carroll; Oct 4, '05 at 10:20 pm. Reason: BACKQUOTE ON DELETED POST

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture