Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 13, '13, 7:16 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Unique Problem - Baptism Certificate wrong

So I'm faced with a bit of a problem and I'm hoping to find a solution.

I need to obtain my mother's baptism certificate for a passport application because she doesn't have a birth certificate because she was never registered (home birth).

She was born in Bombay, India and she was Baptised at the St. Blaise Catholic Church.

She went to school to the same Church/School and was Married there as well.

So this is the problem. Her name and date of birth are wrong on the Baptism Certificate.
However, on all other documents (Marriage, Passport and School Leaving certificate her name and date of birth are correct.)

Is there a way she can get this corrected on her Baptism certificate? If so, how. I'm guessing that there should be a way to correct this - even if just by producing the marriage certificate and passport. Am I right in assuming this?

Since I live in Australia and my mother is going to travel to India in a few weeks to sort this out I need to let her know how she can do this.

I am quite desperate to get this sorted so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 13, '13, 7:29 am

Religion: Catholic and Proud of it!
Default Re: Unique Problem - Baptism Certificate wrong

never heard of the Baptism certificate being needed for a passport...only the birth certificate. ...

Is the church where she was baptized still there?

edit: oh...she doesn't have a birth certificate because of home birth. Hmmm, this is an unusual situation....

"More souls go to hell because of sins of the flesh than for any other reason."
- Our Lady of Fatima

Who will speak for those who have no voice?

Life.....what a beautiful choice!
Old Apr 13, '13, 7:57 am
Trial Membership

Yes the church does exist still and they still have her records - she got a copy of her baptism certificate from their office last year but it had the incorrect details.

Last edited by Ivorskiver; Apr 13, '13 at 7:58 am. Reason: Baptism certificate - not birth certificate
Old Apr 13, '13, 8:03 am
Prayer Warrior

She should simply ask them to correct it.
Old Apr 13, '13, 8:05 am
Forum Elder

Yes, an error in a baptismal record can be corrected. HOWEVER, legal source documents must be produced as evidence of the error and a copy of these documents must be retained by the parish. The parish can make a correcting notation in their sacramental records.

I would suggest your mother contact a lawyer in India to determine how to have a state issued birth certificate created to take care of her issue once and for all.

If she already has a passport, it is unclear how she obtained it in the first place and why she would need a baptismal certificate to renew it.

Bottom line, her baptismal records cannot be changed without a legal document.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Apr 13, '13, 9:07 am

My baptismal record is wrong, and I contacted the Church where it occurred.

I was told that it is what it is, and the Church records cannot be changed, but a "notation" can be made.

My baptismal record has my name wrong, my mothers name wrong, and both of my Godparents names wrong.

I think the date of the baptism is right though.
Old Apr 13, '13, 4:35 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Yes, an error in a baptismal record can be corrected. HOWEVER, legal source documents must be produced as evidence of the error and a copy of these documents must be retained by the parish. The parish can make a correcting notation in their sacramental records.

I would suggest your mother contact a lawyer in India to determine how to have a state issued birth certificate created to take care of her issue once and for all.

If she already has a passport, it is unclear how she obtained it in the first place and why she would need a baptismal certificate to renew it.

Bottom line, her baptismal records cannot be changed without a legal document.
In Canada, until around 2004, you could get a passport with a certificate of baptism depending on where you lived.

It can be a catch 22 situation when the info is wrong.

When my dad found out, in his late 70s, early 80s, that he'd never been registered with Vital Statistics, he got registered late based on his baptismal certificate information. The name on the certificate, which he'd always been aware of but which no one but I & my brothers had ever used, was Léandre. He'd always gone by 'Leonard', or Len, and had to change all his pension/social insurance/bank info after he got his birth certificate. Ironically, my daughter called her son "Leonard", after her grandfather, because that's what she'd always heard everyone call him and I'd never referred to him as anything but Dad or Pepère around her.

In this province the Churches used to send the information to Vital Statistics and to this day VS will look for a baptismal certificate if the person is seeking late registration. If the person applies to VS for a birth certificate and the info they give doesn't jibe with what VS has on file, VS calls the parish of baptism and if what's on file at VS matches what's in the baptism register the person is stuck with it unless they go to court.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments