Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 18, '13, 3:19 pm
everythingiscon everythingiscon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 7, 2013
Posts: 105
Religion: Episcopalian but wants to convert to catholicism
Default Getting scared God is not real

I'm getting scared, I believe God is real, I love him with all my heart.. maybe it's because I have plenty of atheist friends.. but there is a voice saying ''he is not real, just be an atheist, hell does not exist, god n'or the devil does either'' it's like some angry voice.. ''if you don't be an atheist, good luck'' then I heard an evil laugh. I am not crazy because I have never experienced this before. I need some protection, is this the devil??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 18, '13, 3:52 pm
KathleenGee's Avatar
KathleenGee KathleenGee is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: September 15, 2009
Posts: 9,088
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Simply pray out the Holy Name of Jesus. Place all at His feet and proclaim your faith in Him.

The devil always shows up when you are turning to take big steps towards the Lord and enter into a more sanctifying life. I don't mean that as a reflection on your present church affiliation.

But you may even be called in time to minister to people in the Lord.

The most oft spoken words of Our Lord in the Gospels is: "Do not be afraid!!!"

Every time something comes at you, just take a deep breath, relax and say the Holy Name of Jesus over and over until your balance and center returns.

It is through Jesus that this universe was created and even the devils in hell bend and prostrate when they hear His name spoken with faith and reverence.

We are living in difficult times and it is prayer that binds Satan. All of this is for humanity...that we are in Christ's Hour of Mercy.....and what follows in time will be a new era for Christianity and for all people who believe in God. This is just we are at the most difficult moments and it looks like darkness is making people think all sorts of thing...but it is like the darkest time comes right before the dawn.

Have faith and hope and peace....remember you in prayer this evening.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 18, '13, 3:53 pm
ProdglArchitect ProdglArchitect is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: July 18, 2012
Posts: 2,892
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

"Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief."

Many of us on here have gone through something similar. Do not fret, just always remember that God is real, and he loves you. Don't give up on faith just because you're feeling a little lost. Pray, go to mass, maybe spend some time with Christ in your Church, pray the Rosary... There are tons of things you can do to combat these feelings.

As for your atheist friends, if they aren't willing to accept your belief, and deride you about it often, perhaps you should start looking elsewhere for friendship. I have some atheist friends, and we get into it occasionally, but for the most part they don't bring it up and I don't bring it up, and that works well. On of my closest friends is atheist, but If he were constantly berating me for being Catholic, I would cease calling him friend, because he obviously has no respect for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 18, '13, 3:53 pm
Pilosopo's Avatar
Pilosopo Pilosopo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 27, 2012
Posts: 302
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

This sounds serious. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but it seems best that you touch base with wise and holy people who can meet you one on one.
In the meantime, I will pray for healing and holiness.
Today happens to be a friend's birthday. Could you pray for him? He is named after the prophet Hosea, who has is both tragic-heroic, but ultimately triumphant as God's prophet of love.
Take care,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 18, '13, 4:08 pm
Steveabrous's Avatar
Steveabrous Steveabrous is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2012
Posts: 889
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingiscon View Post
I'm getting scared, I believe God is real, I love him with all my heart.. maybe it's because I have plenty of atheist friends.. but there is a voice saying ''he is not real, just be an atheist, hell does not exist, god n'or the devil does either'' it's like some angry voice.. ''if you don't be an atheist, good luck'' then I heard an evil laugh. I am not crazy because I have never experienced this before. I need some protection, is this the devil??
Quote:
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14
We are to witness to unbelievers. But the bible warns about getting too involved with them. Many people think they will influence them. But it is usually the opposite.

Also, say the prayer of St. Michael
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 18, '13, 4:09 pm
3DOCTORS's Avatar
3DOCTORS 3DOCTORS is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2007
Posts: 4,623
Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Are you in a position where you could make an appointment to talk with a Catholic priest about this and some of the other matters you've posted about re wanting to get away from New Age influences? It sounds like you are going through spiritual warfare and probably emotional turmoil as well. You need to not be trying to fight this big battle alone and without the help of good spiritual advice.

I'll pray for you, okay?
__________________
Pray for Peace and Justice in all the troubled parts of the world, and in families.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 18, '13, 4:26 pm
everythingiscon everythingiscon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 7, 2013
Posts: 105
Religion: Episcopalian but wants to convert to catholicism
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilosopo View Post
This sounds serious. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but it seems best that you touch base with wise and holy people who can meet you one on one.
In the meantime, I will pray for healing and holiness.
Today happens to be a friend's birthday. Could you pray for him? He is named after the prophet Hosea, who has is both tragic-heroic, but ultimately triumphant as God's prophet of love.
Take care,
Sure, I will pray for him
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 18, '13, 4:27 pm
everythingiscon everythingiscon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 7, 2013
Posts: 105
Religion: Episcopalian but wants to convert to catholicism
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DOCTORS View Post
Are you in a position where you could make an appointment to talk with a Catholic priest about this and some of the other matters you've posted about re wanting to get away from New Age influences? It sounds like you are going through spiritual warfare and probably emotional turmoil as well. You need to not be trying to fight this big battle alone and without the help of good spiritual advice.

I'll pray for you, okay?
ok and I will try
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 18, '13, 4:34 pm
JerryZ's Avatar
JerryZ JerryZ is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 14, 2012
Posts: 1,670
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingiscon View Post
I'm getting scared, I believe God is real, I love him with all my heart.. maybe it's because I have plenty of atheist friends.. but there is a voice saying ''he is not real, just be an atheist, hell does not exist, god n'or the devil does either'' it's like some angry voice.. ''if you don't be an atheist, good luck'' then I heard an evil laugh. I am not crazy because I have never experienced this before. I need some protection, is this the devil??
My dear friend, sometimes the dark side plants seeds of destruction in our soul hoping we bait, let me assure you, GOD IS REAL.
Ask Him for help, HE will not deny it to you. How could HE for HE loves you.

Ask Jesus and most important ask you mother in Heaven to interceede with Her SON.
I will pray for you.
__________________
Peace

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 18, '13, 4:53 pm
devotee of Jesu devotee of Jesu is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: September 27, 2012
Posts: 8
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

I am living proof (in the here and now--not ancient times) that God IS alive, God DOES love and care for us, His children and...God STILL performs miracles!! I have just returned from a pilgimage to Medjugorje where, on my first full day there, God healed my ear that had been deaf for 30 years!! In 1983 I had my 3rd stroke (7 so far) and it totally caused my loss, total loss of hearing in the left ear. I am not crazy but not only myself but quite a few others DID see the sun spin (the Holy Eucharist covered most but not all of the sun) and while I stared for in excess of 20 minutes at the sun, God cured my deafness!! Praise be to Jesus!! I also experienced the strong fragrence of roses while we all prayed the rosary (I was not alone in this either, one other person experienced this) and my love and devotion to Our Lord increased at least 10,000 fold! I did not go over there seeking a miracle. Just some real time of one-on-one with my Lord and He Blessed me!!

I also hear at times, the devil telling me things and there are two ways to determine this: 1) is it negative words coming through? and 2) say Praise Be to Jesus and the devil will flee as he can not stand to hear those words. God is GOOD, God is REAL and yes, He does truly care about us. But remember, all in God's time...and if it is His Will. Since I have been witnessing about my physical healing, Blessings upon Blessings have poured down on me. And I am not ashamed, afraid or too shy to let people know. Isn't this what Jesus sent His apostles out to do, spread the good news to all nations??!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 18, '13, 5:01 pm
Cor Ignis Cor Ignis is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: August 2, 2012
Posts: 28
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

I think you already got some good advices, specially the one of looking for some spiritual help in the form of an spiritual director, but I just want to say something more. Gonna quote a friend of mine:

"The biggest achievement of the devil is to make the world believe he doesn't exist".
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 18, '13, 5:03 pm
everythingiscon everythingiscon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 7, 2013
Posts: 105
Religion: Episcopalian but wants to convert to catholicism
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotee of Jesu View Post
I am living proof (in the here and now--not ancient times) that God IS alive, God DOES love and care for us, His children and...God STILL performs miracles!! I have just returned from a pilgimage to Medjugorje where, on my first full day there, God healed my ear that had been deaf for 30 years!! In 1983 I had my 3rd stroke (7 so far) and it totally caused my loss, total loss of hearing in the left ear. I am not crazy but not only myself but quite a few others DID see the sun spin (the Holy Eucharist covered most but not all of the sun) and while I stared for in excess of 20 minutes at the sun, God cured my deafness!! Praise be to Jesus!! I also experienced the strong fragrence of roses while we all prayed the rosary (I was not alone in this either, one other person experienced this) and my love and devotion to Our Lord increased at least 10,000 fold! I did not go over there seeking a miracle. Just some real time of one-on-one with my Lord and He Blessed me!!

I also hear at times, the devil telling me things and there are two ways to determine this: 1) is it negative words coming through? and 2) say Praise Be to Jesus and the devil will flee as he can not stand to hear those words. God is GOOD, God is REAL and yes, He does truly care about us. But remember, all in God's time...and if it is His Will. Since I have been witnessing about my physical healing, Blessings upon Blessings have poured down on me. And I am not ashamed, afraid or too shy to let people know. Isn't this what Jesus sent His apostles out to do, spread the good news to all nations??!
Wow, this story almost made me cry and thank you all, I didn't know it is the devil that makes you believe God isn't real!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 18, '13, 5:04 pm
Blue_Goose's Avatar
Blue_Goose Blue_Goose is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 15, 2013
Posts: 162
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

God is absolutely real, and so is hell.

Here are two actions I recommend that will serve you well. First, make an appointment with your parish priest to discuss your fears and feelings. Do it tomorrow morning. Second, dump your atheist friends.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 18, '13, 5:28 pm
everythingiscon everythingiscon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 7, 2013
Posts: 105
Religion: Episcopalian but wants to convert to catholicism
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Goose View Post
God is absolutely real, and so is hell.

Here are two actions I recommend that will serve you well. First, make an appointment with your parish priest to discuss your fears and feelings. Do it tomorrow morning. Second, dump your atheist friends.
I don't know about dumping my atheist friends but I will talk to a priest!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 18, '13, 5:29 pm
humble_catholic humble_catholic is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 14, 2010
Posts: 484
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Getting scared God is not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingiscon View Post
Wow, this story almost made me cry and thank you all, I didn't know it is the devil that makes you believe God isn't real!
Everythingiscon, whoever told you to see a priest is right on correct. A spiritual advisor is very crucial when your going through this. It can be a deacon or a priest but he should be familiar with what your going through.

I know what your going through because I went through it even worse as you can see from my old posts here.

Your spiritual advisor could help you in determining if this is a spiritual attack, scrupulosity or a combo of both. He might recommend seeing a therapist (preferably a catholic one as I had), but even if it still scrupulosity Satan can still work through scrup.

And yes, Satan would love for us to believe that Gid isn't real, because if he removes faith he knows we will be wide open for his attacks.
Think of your faith as an indestructible armor.

If you need to talk or anything just send me a pm.
Putting you on my prayers list
God bless you
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8330Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Mary Virginia
5080CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4386Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4036OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: aellis422
3854SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3638Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3266Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3229Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3216Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: TheWhim
3079For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: georget



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:03 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.