Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 21, '13, 6:26 pm

Religion: Disciples of Christ (considering conversion to Catholicism)
Default Why can't Catholics be Masons?

Greetings all!
I'm a Protestant coming closer and closer to deciding to convert to Catholicism after having seen the Bibical and historical evidence for apostolic succession, the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, some strong (albeit perhaps not completely air-tight) arguments for the Papacy, etc. There is however something that I still find odd about the RCC, and that is her prohibition of her members from joining Masonic Lodges.
While at various times in history Christians have almost universally denounced Freemasonry in more modern times (perhaps as more about the Masons became known and/or more Christians joined the Masons) many Protestants (especially Mainliners) see Masons as just a men's organization that is no more of threat to Christianity than the Boy Scouts. I know many Christian Masons including my own grandfather who was also a Shriner and my uncle. My home church as a plaque on the outside of the building commemorating the Masonic laying of the cornerstone for the building. Today in my college town church one of our members commented that his father-in-law was receiving his 70 year pin for service to his Lodge. So why do Catholics maintain that one cannot truly be both a Mason and a Christian? Why do so many Catholics hold to an almost "Dan Brown"-esq view of Freemasons, and the Church officially teach that Masonry is another religion or sect when Masons state for themselves:
Quote:
Masonry is not a religion. There is nothing in Freemasonry to interfere with a man's religious life. Persons of all faiths and Christian denominations are a part of the worldwide Masonic fraternity. Religion and politics are two subjects not allowed to be discussed when a lodge is in session.
-Grand Lodge of Texas
In fact the only reason I posted this question in this category is because I know Catholics view Masonry as a religion, but to Masons themselves the Craft is not a religion, but rather something that should make each man a more devout follower of his own Faith (and following his Faith should make him a better Mason). I'm just struggling to see how belonging to a Masonic Lodge is fundamentally different than belonging to Scouting, Elks, or any other civic organization. It seems to me that the only reason being a Mason makes someone unable to follow the Catholic Faith is that the Church has forbidden it, and if she would simply "unforbid" it, there would no longer be a conflict.

In addition to this question I have another: does the Church's ban on membership in the Masons extend to other Masonic organizations such as the Knights Templar, Order of the Eastern Star, DeMolay, and Rainbow Girls?

Thanks and God bless,
Matt

Matt of Texas
Old Apr 21, '13, 6:50 pm

Default Re: Why can't Catholics be Masons?

A Mason, a former co-worker, stole my copy of GrandMaster Pike's book which detailed all 33 Degrees complete with paintings so that nothing was left to imagination which I had purchased at a used book store so I'm unable to reference it for exact # of Degrees these practices relate to, but one of the Degrees requires the Mason to stomp on & break the crown of the Pope and the other required sacrifice on an altar to a Goddess - the painting of whom was sexual in nature - who's name I can not recall.

If for no other reasons, rejection of Papal Authority & worship of another God/Goddess places a person outside of the Catholic Church. One can choose to be a Mason or choose to be a Catholic, but one can't be both.
Old Apr 21, '13, 6:57 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattofTexas View Post
does the Church's ban on membership in the Masons extend to other Masonic organizations
Yes.

As to your main question, have you read Humanum Genus by Pope Leo XIII?
Old Apr 21, '13, 6:59 pm

A Mason stole my copy of GrandMaster Pike's book which detailed all 33 Degrees complete with paintings so that nothing was left to imagination which I had purchased at a used book store so I'm unable to reference it for exact degrees these practices relate to, but one of them required the Mason to stomp on & break the crown of the Pope and the other required sacrifice on an altar to a goddess. If for no other reasons, rejection of Papal Authority & worship of another God/Goddess places a person outside of the Catholic Church. One can choose to be a Mason or choose to be a Catholic, but one can't be both.
Old Apr 21, '13, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Greetings all!
I'm a Protestant coming closer and closer to deciding to convert to Catholicism after having seen the Bibical and historical evidence for apostolic succession, the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, some strong (albeit perhaps not completely air-tight) arguments for the Papacy, etc. There is however something that I still find odd about the RCC, and that is her prohibition of her members from joining Masonic Lodges.
While at various times in history Christians have almost universally denounced Freemasonry in more modern times (perhaps as more about the Masons became known and/or more Christians joined the Masons) many Protestants (especially Mainliners) see Masons as just a men's organization that is no more of threat to Christianity than the Boy Scouts. I know many Christian Masons including my own grandfather who was also a Shriner and my uncle. My home church as a plaque on the outside of the building commemorating the Masonic laying of the cornerstone for the building. Today in my college town church one of our members commented that his father-in-law was receiving his 70 year pin for service to his Lodge. So why do Catholics maintain that one cannot truly be both a Mason and a Christian? Why do so many Catholics hold to an almost "Dan Brown"-esq view of Freemasons, and the Church officially teach that Masonry is another religion or sect when Masons state for themselves:

In fact the only reason I posted this question in this category is because I know Catholics view Masonry as a religion, but to Masons themselves the Craft is not a religion, but rather something that should make each man a more devout follower of his own Faith (and following his Faith should make him a better Mason). I'm just struggling to see how belonging to a Masonic Lodge is fundamentally different than belonging to Scouting, Elks, or any other civic organization. It seems to me that the only reason being a Mason makes someone unable to follow the Catholic Faith is that the Church has forbidden it, and if she would simply "unforbid" it, there would no longer be a conflict.

In addition to this question I have another: does the Church's ban on membership in the Masons extend to other Masonic organizations such as the Knights Templar, Order of the Eastern Star, DeMolay, and Rainbow Girls?

Thanks and God bless,
Matt
+Pope Leo XIII devoted a whole encyclical to the matter.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/le...-genus_en.html
Old Apr 21, '13, 7:26 pm

Religion: Catholic,Traditionalist,Latin,Eastern Rites and proud of it!

Quote:
Greetings all!

Thanks and God bless,
Matt
Masonry is anti Catholicism incarnate. I don't give two cents to whomever disagrees with me on this. I have evidence that Masonry is anti Catholic. Numerous Popes have condemned it, and the excommunication penalty is still in force. Masonry sets up the heretical and blasphemous idea that "all Religions are equal", and thus, in its ceremonies, avoids making any reference to any specific GOD. You can have anything as your "GOD" in Masonry. If you professed that you believe in a chair as your GOD, then the chair is your GOD. This is pure, unadulterated heresy. It was a Masonic government who was responsible for the persecution and killing of Catholics in Mexico in the 1920's. Masons set up the idea of communism. Masonry's origin and symbols (Not the pop cultures origin) are satanic at its core. Catholics are forbidden membership in any of the above groups that You have mentioned. Masonry is a lie. Catholicism is Truth. I think the choice is simple enough.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../2745912/posts
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...sage910049/pg1

J.M.J
Old Apr 21, '13, 7:27 pm

Religion: Catholic,Traditionalist,Latin,Eastern Rites and proud of it!

[quote=Ad Orientem;10651355]Yes.

As to your main question, have you read Humanum Genus by Pope Leo XIII?[/QUOTE]

A wonderful encyclical by a wonderful Pope. May the SACRED HEART Bless Our Holy Catholic Church. Habemus Pappam!

J.M.J
Old Apr 21, '13, 7:35 pm

Religion: Jewish, returning

Quote:
Greetings all!

Thanks and God bless,
Matt
Many Masons might view belonging to the Masons as no different from belonging to any civic improvement organization; but the Church has a longer memory and real experience of what Masonry is. In the early '80s the Vatican Bank was embroiled in a scandal linked to the most prominent Masonic lodge in Europe.

Masonry was distinctly founded as an antagonist to the Church; just as there are Muslims who are far from antagonistic to the Church or to other Christians, Islam itself is fundamentally at odds with Christianity. It's especially problematic with Masonry because the protests from Masons that disown Masonic origins either proceed from genuine ignorance of their origins, which the leadership deliberately play down or conceal, or from a lack of interest in the actual history of the organization.

The Church's teachers have too much to do to find things to prohibit; when they speak God's prohibition on something, they do so out of obligation & necessity.
Old Apr 21, '13, 8:01 pm

Matt,

I understand that modern American Masonry seems like a harmless fraternity but you must remember that Masonry and the Catholic Church are both worldwide institutions. Masonry remains anti-Catholic in some other countries and the Church has a right to prohibit membership in it.
Old Apr 21, '13, 10:12 pm

The main reasons that I know of are:
  1. It is a secret society with oaths that information is to be revealed to no one. (Try reading a masonic ritual book with its squares, squigles and other symbols).
  2. The oaths sworn are blood oaths (something like "binding myself by no less penalty than that of having my throat cut from ear to ear, my tongue torn out by its roots, and buried in the sands of the sea...")
  3. Jesus is treated as nothing more than a teacher or a good man. Masonic writings put Christ on the same level as Buddha.
  4. Masonic imagery is reminescent of nature religions and acts as if all religion is descendant from its ancient knowledge.
Note: I was raised in a masonic family. My dad and uncles were all 32 or 33 degree Masons. My dad was also a Shiriner and in the Knights Templar. My mom and aunts were in Eastern Star. My sisters and brother were in Rainbows, Jobes Daughters, or De Moyle. Having been raised in a masonic family I can tell you there is a lot of anti Catholic things that come up. Its not overt, but many things are in direct opposition to Catholic teaching.
Old Apr 21, '13, 10:31 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, once 'Hare Krishna'
Default An accurate understanding of the masons includes....

There are levels above the 33rd. People who are heading the NSA, CIA, etc. are all high level masons ....and answer to or are part of what is called the illuminati - world wide extremely secret, most powerful satanic organization with many branches, highly organized the goal of which is to take over the world. Their regular activities include murder, ritual sacrifice of victims for whom they scout. Members are all ritually abused and programmed, permanently damaged. Anyone who wants to listen to Fr. Gary Thomas discuss this could watch this video: http://youtu.be/PV4FpKX5HNU Fr. Thomas is the foremost Vatican authorized exorcist in the United States, in charge of the San Jose area.
Old Apr 22, '13, 1:35 am

Quote:
There is however something that I still find odd about the RCC, and that is her prohibition of her members from joining Masonic Lodges.... So why do Catholics maintain that one cannot truly be both a Mason and a Christian?
More info here and here.

Quote:
many Protestants (especially Mainliners) see Masons as just a men's organization
There are plenty of men's organizations, and organizations of both men and women, that do not share Masonry's faults. The Knights of Columbus would be a specifically Catholic example, but there are many others.
Old Apr 22, '13, 12:47 pm

Religion: RC

I think the subject is interesting and am linking below the fairly well played thread done a few months ago on the subject.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=742928
Old Apr 22, '13, 2:58 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usige View Post
The main reasons that I know of are:
  1. It is a secret society with oaths that information is to be revealed to no one. (Try reading a masonic ritual book with its squares, squigles and other symbols).
  2. The oaths sworn are blood oaths (something like "binding myself by no less penalty than that of having my throat cut from ear to ear, my tongue torn out by its roots, and buried in the sands of the sea...")
  3. Jesus is treated as nothing more than a teacher or a good man. Masonic writings put Christ on the same level as Buddha.
  4. Masonic imagery is reminescent of nature religions and acts as if all religion is descendant from its ancient knowledge.
Note: I was raised in a masonic family. My dad and uncles were all 32 or 33 degree Masons. My dad was also a Shiriner and in the Knights Templar. My mom and aunts were in Eastern Star. My sisters and brother were in Rainbows, Jobes Daughters, or De Moyle. Having been raised in a masonic family I can tell you there is a lot of anti Catholic things that come up. Its not overt, but many things are in direct opposition to Catholic teaching.
Similar to LCMS reasoning.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Apr 22, '13, 3:23 pm
Banned

-Because the Black Beast of Freemasonry is hell bent on destroying Catholicism and christianity at large.

Because the Black Beast of Freemasonry is founded on Satanic and pagansitic principals. The "G" stand for Gnosis-or the worship of knowledge.

Pike; Alice A. Bailey; H. Petrovna Blavatsky; Alistair Crowley....are just a few of the names associated with the Black Beast of Freemasonry.

The infamous P2 Lodge of Italy is especially hell bent on destroying the papacy via infiltration and destruction from within.

Eastern or Western Lodge-it is the Black Beast of Freemasonry.

Catholics that join or are current members are incurring in apostasy and heresy and blasphemy.

Freemasonry is doing everything it can to usher in the arrival and emergence of the Antichrist.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions