Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 26, '13, 3:18 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Neocatechumenal way and the eucharist

Hello there, me and my fiancee are in a neocatechumenal comunity and I'm actually not very happy about some things there. One of them is the way, how the holy communion is recieved. The priest consecrates one piece of bread, which breaks into pieces which he gives to the people in the hand. But they all wait and consume it simultaniously after everyone has recieved it.
I know this way of recieving communion is approved for small communities but I don't want to recieve it this way. Can I "insist" on recieving in the mouth like at "regular" mass?
I talked with the priest and he just said that there is nothing wrong about recieving in the hand and that I do not sin when doing it. What do you suggest me?
Old Apr 26, '13, 3:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Neocatechumenal way and the eucharist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igypop83 View Post
Hello there, me and my fiancee are in a neocatechumenal comunity and I'm actually not very happy about some things there. One of them is the way, how the holy communion is recieved. The priest consecrates one piece of bread, which breaks into pieces which he gives to the people in the hand. But they all wait and consume it simultaniously after everyone has recieved it.
I know this way of recieving communion is approved for small communities but I don't want to recieve it this way. Can I "insist" on recieving in the mouth like at "regular" mass?
I talked with the priest and he just said that there is nothing wrong about recieving in the hand and that I do not sin when doing it. What do you suggest me?
If you are uncomfortable in doing what the community does, why even bother to go there? Find another Parish.
Old Apr 26, '13, 3:27 pm

Because I don't consider everything bad what they are doing.
Old Apr 26, '13, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Just because they are not all bad doesn't mean you should hang around them. St. Paul even couldn't stay around St. Barnabas. If canonized saints had to part company, who are we to think we could get along with everybody who does good?
Old Apr 26, '13, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Well nothing they are doing is "bad" if it's approved. To "insist" on doing things your preferred way, however, would certainly be rude, and possibly disrespectful.

If your conscience says you ought not to receive communion in the NCW practice then do not attend.
Old Apr 26, '13, 7:06 pm

Quote:
I have a friend who had the exact same issue. The priest, however, had no problem (why should he?) giving him communion on the tongue when he didn't raise his hand but put his tongue out. I don't see why you couldn't ask this priest one more time to give you communion on the tongue. I certainly wouldn't consider it rude. I would ask him kindly before the celebration, explaining to him that this is how I prefer receiving communion...
Old Apr 27, '13, 8:31 am

While it may be true they have permission for this form of receiving communion, I would be shocked if that permission extended to the right of a priest to not allow one to receive communion in one of the two normal ways. So regardless of what the priest told youabout it not being wrong, just tell him you want to receive on the tongue. He has to allow it, you do not have to explain your reasoning to him.
Old Apr 28, '13, 10:16 pm

Quote:
While it may be true they have permission for this form of receiving communion
Actually this is what is known as a half-truth, of which you will find many in the Neocatechumenal Way.

The statutes of the NCW state:

"Regarding the distribution of Holy Communion under the two species, the
neocatechumens receive it standing, remaining at their place." (Art 13, para 3)

This says nothing about whether communion is to be received in the hand or on the tongue. This article of the statutes was inserted as a response and amendment to the previous practise of the NCW receiving communion seated, which of course is anomalous, unless for reason of impairment.

Actually, in the current practise, the NCW member receives communion in the hand while standing, then takes a seat (without consuming) and waits until everyone else receives in a similar way. Once everyone receives in this manner, the priest (sorry presbyter) and the people consume simultaneously. This is clearly not what the vatican intended when it gave the approval to the Statutes, and more particularly when Cardinal Arinze transmitted the instructions of the Holy Father (http://www.internetica.it/neocatecum...-interview.htm).

You can see now why the priest has a problem with the OP receiving on the tongue - because at that time, the priest himself has not taken communion.
Old Apr 30, '13, 2:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfathersson View Post
Actually this is what is known as a half-truth, of which you will find many in the Neocatechumenal Way.

The statutes of the NCW state:

"Regarding the distribution of Holy Communion under the two species, the
neocatechumens receive it standing, remaining at their place." (Art 13, para 3)

This says nothing about whether communion is to be received in the hand or on the tongue. This article of the statutes was inserted as a response and amendment to the previous practise of the NCW receiving communion seated, which of course is anomalous, unless for reason of impairment.

Actually, in the current practise, the NCW member receives communion in the hand while standing, then takes a seat (without consuming) and waits until everyone else receives in a similar way. Once everyone receives in this manner, the priest (sorry presbyter) and the people consume simultaneously. This is clearly not what the vatican intended when it gave the approval to the Statutes, and more particularly when Cardinal Arinze transmitted the instructions of the Holy Father (http://www.internetica.it/neocatecum...-interview.htm).

You can see now why the priest has a problem with the OP receiving on the tongue - because at that time, the priest himself has not taken communion.
This is exactly how we are recieving holy communion! I'm actually from Austria and I thought, that might only be the habit in our community but maybe not globally in all neocatechumenal communities.
I actually don't know what to do. I would like to have some community with other catholics and not just go to mass and that's it. If it were not for the liturgy, I would actually be happy in the neocatechumenate. The people there seem to take their faith seriously, they also do many things together and the priest is really awesome.
So if I said, I don't want to recieve the holy communion in any other way but on the tongue, could the priest deny it to me?
And why are they called presbyter? I was asking that myself many times.
Old Apr 30, '13, 6:26 am

Quote:
If it were not for the liturgy, I would actually be happy in the neocatechumenate.
Hi, I understand what you mean. There are many good aspects to the NCW, and I have met some lovely people involved in it. Certainly there is a welcome moral conservatism and a deep desire to live one's faith.

But the Eucharist celebration which is separate to the parish, and is liturgically flawed, has to be addressed. Part of the problem is that members are so defensive that any (legitimate) criticism is often treated as "persecution", which is just another reason to believe it all the more firmly. "Persecution" is one of those favourite catch-phrases for the NCW, seeking to keep the individual from thinking, but merely subscribing to the group-think. Its the community at all costs, for the NCW.

Another problem is that the community takes over the role of the family as the fundamental unit on which the Christian community is built. The community becomes a de facto family. This can result in family members attending separate Eucharists in the same parish, and only ever going to mass together at Easter or other 'special' times. I know of one family where four members of the family are in four separate communities and therefore attend four separate "Eucharists" in the same parish! This is quite bizarre in my opinion.

Finally, there are few things that bother me more than the description of the Body of Christ being the "bread of slavery" (the Precious Blood being the cup of covenant or freedom). This comes from a heavily Judaic perspective where the Old Testament prefiguring of Christ overshadows the person of God revealed in Jesus Christ in the New Testament. I can't seem to accept the notion that the Body of Christ is the bread of slavery. The living bread come down from heaven, yes, but not of slavery.

If the NCW was to integrate more into the parish (ie attend Mass with the rest of the parish; not retain the tithes for themselves but direct them to the parish etc) most of the liturgical misunderstandings and malpractises would cease. Also the members would hopefully be exposed to more orthodox Catholic teaching.
Old Apr 30, '13, 9:49 am

I look at this a little differently, I suppose. When I go to the TLM (EF) everybody recieves on the tongue and kneeling; the OF is sort of a "mixed bag" when it comes to communion. So if you are going to be a NeoCat, then be one. If not then go elsewhere.

This is why I go to the EF only. The other forms are valid, its just a matter of choice.

Last edited by corsair; Apr 30, '13 at 9:49 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 30, '13, 9:53 am

The problem is that given the manner in which communion is done I think it would be difficult to receive on the tongue because you would technically be receiving before the priest does which is not allowed.

Edit: I was actually wondering why you feel it is better to receive on the tongue rather than by hand? I hope I dont sound judgmental, I am just wondering as to what you feel the difference is.

Last edited by Itari; Apr 30, '13 at 10:09 am.
Old Apr 30, '13, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itari View Post
The problem is that given the manner in which communion is done I think it would be difficult to receive on the tongue because you would technically be receiving before the priest does which is not allowed.

Edit: I was actually wondering why you feel it is better to receive on the tongue rather than by hand? I hope I dont sound judgmental, I am just wondering as to what you feel the difference is.
Then the priest should allow for communicants after he has received. Although , I am skeptical about the form NCW receive communion, I do not want to argue that. My only point is that the priest cannot refuse you receiving it on the tongue.

Someone compared it to not being able to receive it in the hand at a EF mass. Not the same at all. The EF is celebrated according to a completely different rubric, which is approved in its entirety. The NCW cannot claim this about their liturgy. It might be an approved modifications to the NO mass, but it still a mass according to the GIRM, and unless those approved mods say one cannot receive on the tongue, then one can. Period.
Old May 1, '13, 6:28 am

I would imagine it could be done, it would seem out of place to have that one person receive on the tongue after everyone else, but sure why not. It all depends on who is celebrating and their liturgical inclinations. This issue is not so much of a NCW thing as it is the priest who presides.
Old May 1, '13, 7:05 am

The priest should consume the Blessed Sacrament before distributing any of it. This has been specified by the USCCB here:
Quote:
The celebrant receives Holy Communion first and then the people come forward.
Also: The priest cannot deny you communion on the tongue. This is also specified by the USCCB here:
Quote:
The communicant may choose whether to receive the Body of Christ in the hand or on the tongue.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments